Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Starfall - a new sci-fi action RPG

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Starfall

Another group of ex-<a href=http://www.blizzard.com>Blizzard</a> developers has opened up a studio - <a href=http://www.hyboreal.com/>Hyboreal Games</a>, and started working on a sci-fi action RPG called <a href=http://www.hyboreal.com/projects.htm>Starfalls</a>. <a href=http://www.gamecloud.com>GameCloud</a> was the first to interview Eric Sexton, one of the co-founders, so here is <a href=http://www.gamecloud.com/article.php?article_id=2476>some info</a> for you:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Starfall is a 3D, Science-Fiction, Action RPG. It's Halo meets Diablo with all the fast visceral game play of third person shooter merged with the character advancement and item collection of a role playing game. You can explore the planets of the Starfall galaxy, customize your space ship and choose the path of your character while deciding the fate of the galaxy.
<br>
<br>
The game industry has been focused on Next Generation Consoles to the detriment of the PC games. We will be focusing on the rich and largely untapped PC market.</blockquote>
<br>
More sci-fi PC games is always a good thing.

Whipporowill

Erudite
People are so creative these days! I mean... science-fiction action games, which largely follows the Diablo II recipe. Wowzers!

(Of course I don't know this, but it seems every spawn of Blizzard has this in mind)

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
starfall-agent01-large.jpg

Well, it seems that wheter fantasy or sci-fi, there always seems to be a shortage of adequate feminine clothing in most videogames out there. Men just seem to find all the heavy armored body armor they want. As long as them poor gals can use Studded Bras of Charisma and Protection +12...

Whipporowill

Erudite
I think it's great that game-makers are finally opening up for mom heroines in their games! I mean, she can just pop open those lactation devices and start brest feeding in between kills. A great step towards equality in gaming. Ayup.

By the by... she looks like a cheap rip-off of the original Aeon Flux. Boo.

Drakron

Arcane
Those people are ex-Blizzard North that worked on Diablo ... beats going to NCSoft and work on Guild Wars that is pretty much Diablo co-op.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
How many good Diablo type games are there, pray tell? I count:

Diablo, Diablo II, Dungeon Siege II (the first one doesn't count), Nox, and Sacred.

There's been nothing else.

Here's a nice snippet from the interview:
Gamecloud - What are the company founder's current opinions on the state of the video/PC game industry? Is it healthy or are there problems that need to be address?

Eric Sexton - The game industry has been focused on Next Generation Consoles to the detriment of the PC games. We will be focusing on the rich and largely untapped PC market.

Azarkon

Arcane
Prudently, all ex-Blizzard (many of whom were Blizzard North) people start their companies by developing Diablo-esque action RPGs. It is, after all, what they know best. But can't they see that this will put them in direct competition with each other? Ah well. May the best Blizzard splinter company win.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Well, Red5 isn't making an Action RPG, they're just making some MMORPG, so that won't be in direct competition.

I've a feeling that Castaway Entertainment's RPG will be more along the lines of Baldur's Gate than Diablo, but we'll have to see. If it's an isometric Action RPG they'll have to go up against the likes of Sacred 2 and Titan Quest, though as TQ comes out in a few months it probably won't be an issue.

Starfall looks to be carving out a niche of its own with its science fiction elements and possibly 3rd person space combat (like Freelancer?) with their mention of ship upgrades. Besides Hellgate: London, Starfall's the only other ex-Blizzard North game I'm truly interested in, mainly due to the setting.

As for MMORPGs, I'm just sticking with COV for now and looking towards Tabula Rasa, DDO and Warhammer Online for the future. It's impossible to tell at the moment if Red5's MMO will be worth looking at.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
While science fiction diablo clones aren't very original, diablo was fun as fuck. I would rather have a sure thing that I know will be fun then having the current and scarce PC developers trying unproven formulas (although I still want fresh new features like in Hellgate:London).

Lets leave the innovation to people who can afford to lose their jobs, like Warren Spector and Peter Monoleuyx (He doesn't deserve his last name spelled correctly).

With no announcement of Diablo 3; Blizzard you were great, but what have you done for me lately.

Outer Scouter

DemonKing

Arcane
While someone concentrating on PC games is nice, I'd much rather have a party-based isometric fantasy/sci-fi/post-apocalyptic etc CRPG than yet another Diablo rip-off.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Another action RPG and even one that's a crossbreed between Halo and Diablo! Let's celebrate! :x
Burning a little, acne infested wanker (the obvious target market of this game) would be an appropriate celebration ritual :twisted:

Twinfalls

Erudite
yay tits and raygunz

titgirl9vj.png

Why is she wearing wash-basin plugs on her boobies? Is that so she's always got the equipment for a good relaxing bath?

What a modern girl.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
You know as a college male, I am all for tits and ass. It is what I look forward to each and everyday. The picture of that girl however, for some reason, I find disturbing. It is just too over-the-top. Am I the only one who thinks that it actually takes away from the game? Same goes for Hellgate:London. In a ravanged post nuclear world the last thing I think people are worried about are boob jobs and revealing clothing. Then again it's a game tailored towards teenagers so I guess I understand.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
I'm holding out hope that this game is more of a Deus Ex/System Shock rip off than Diablo in space.

That chick is eerily similar to all those goofy comic book women that were all the rage in the early 90s.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
There's been little to no Tits & Ass in Hellgate: London, unless you count the Playboy spread of the "Avalon" character from the HG:L intro movie. But even that was pretty modest. She wasn't doing anything slutty, or trying to look slutty for that matter.

Hell, the chicks in Hellgate: London are pretty conservatively dressed - they actually have full body armor.

As for the Starfall chick, you guys need to stop being gay. :lol:

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Sol Invictus said:
There's been little to no Tits & Ass in Hellgate: London, unless you count the Playboy spread of the "Avalon" character from the HG:L intro movie.
That's from the intro movie? Is it available anywhere?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
The Avalon spread? That's on my hard drive. You can buy it in the October (I think) issue of Playboy. What I meant was that the character used in the Playboy spread was the same one that we see fighting demons and zombies in the HG:L trailer/possibly intro movie.

The trailer is available here: http://www.filecloud.com/files/category ... ry_id=2846

It's pretty awesome.

As for Starfall, I wouldn't worry about it catering to "next gen audiences" or whatever new advertising spiel that marketers use these days. Here's a snippet from one of the newer press releases:
Interestingly enough, in an era when developers are emphasizing how advanced the next-generation graphics, physics, etc. are in their games with the result that gamers will require ever increasing system power, Hyboreal states that the company intends to tailor its games for "low-end systems (the fastest growing PC market share) and laptop computers." The company states that it is targeting the PC market exclusively at this time.

Furthermore, the company states that it will emphasize "gameplay over technology, art and story" as "gameplay is what brings fans back." The company seeks to bring in casual fans by restricting the use of "excessive technology" and "complex" storylines.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/672/672311p1.html

It's got me thinking about the replay value already. After all, Diablo 2 didn't have the best graphics, but I sure as hell played it for over two years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom