Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Avernum 3 Review at The Longest Line

Mistress

Liturgist
Tags: Avernum 3

<a href="http://www.longestline.com">The Longest Line</a> have posted a review of <a hrev="http://www.avernum.com/avernum3/index.html">Avernum 3</a> by <a href="http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/">Spiderweb Software</a>.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Rule 1 of Avernum: Do not play in High Resolutions. Rule 2 of Avernum: DO NOT PLAY IN HIGH RESOLUTIONS. Rule 3 of Avernum: No Pets. In many games, high-resolution is equivalent to good. However, such is not the case in Avernum 3. By playing in high-res, the only thing you'll get is a headache, because the screen is shrunken. This makes your party absolutely tiny (who are already small as it is). Being as this is an old school type RPG, do not go into it expecting great visuals, because you'll be disappointed. Graphics don't always bug me, but the characters in this game don't even have animations! The original Zelda for the NES at least has some animations. This is to be expected, as the developers focused on creating an engaging story line, not an awesome graphics engine.
<br>
<br>
Now, from all these negative remarks you may think that I hate the game. However, there is one thing I have yet to mention: Avernum is fucking huge. Seriously, this game is right up there with Morrowind with the amount of shit you can do, and how you can do it. Don't want to fight? Fine! Be a merchant! The amount of freedom in this game is immense, and is the main reason I'm drawn to the game.</blockquote>
<br>
Gameplay over graphics, every time. Just like in life, the fact that it's pretty doesn't mean you're going to have a good time...
<br>
<br>
Spotted at <a href="http://www.bluesnews">Blue's</a>
<br>

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
The Longest Line said:
What ever happened to choosing spells? Or at least whatever happened to having a horde of enemies assault you like in Diablo? Sadly, neither is present in Avernum 3.

I have to wonder how much of the game this guy even played if he's never been hit by a horde of critters. There's one area in the game where you're trapped between two groups of angry monsters who hate each other, for example. There's probably 30, maybe 40 or so monsters involved in that fight alone!

I had to try that battle a few times before I managed to win it, just because of the overwelming numbers. Sure, the two armies of monsters will fight each other, but they'll go after your party as well.

Mad_Dog

Liturgist
He sure had problems understanding the interface... I've never had any of his problems with it.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
That spot is pretty late in the game, I think an earlier one is when you stroll into that vampires tower and he turns his horde loose on you once you've found him.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
What does he mean with "ëasy combat" and "no hordes of enemies" ?
In the caves right at the start of the game there is a huge "siege" like encounter. When you go north there is a long cave that houses loadsa hostile sliths.....the last fight was horrible and took me ages to win.
Don't think that the guy played the game that much, or he just had like an hour to put that review together. Glad that he did acknowledge the fact that graphics ain't all that though.

Trash

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Trash said:
What does he mean with "ëasy combat" and "no hordes of enemies" ?
In the caves right at the start of the game there is a huge "siege" like encounter. When you go north there is a long cave that houses loadsa hostile sliths.....the last fight was horrible and took me ages to win.

Yeah, there's a pretty big encounter in Upper Avernum with some fairly nasty undead and such if I recall correctly. There's also that encounter at the Troglodyte alter that's pretty tough, with the mung demons and the imps, which is pretty close to the beginning.

Honestly, the slime and roach encounters weren't that bad, but the difficulty ramps up steeply from there.

Deathy

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
There's also that encounter at the Troglodyte alter that's pretty tough, with the mung demons and the imps, which is pretty close to the beginning.
I loved that fight. The only way I could beat it was to summon up a horde of monsters and use them and shields.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Deathy said:
I loved that fight. The only way I could beat it was to summon up a horde of monsters and use them and shields.

I had to kneel at the altar and take the curse that went with that to beat it. I also pre-hasted my party and summoned critters. My priest was also dedicated healing and un-mind controlling every single turn, too, since I had to dispel effects and get rid of the massive damage everything in that fight did.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom