Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Oblivion pregandered by GameSpy

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

<A href="http://pc.gamespy.com/">GameSpy</a> has a <a href="http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/the-elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion/679360p1.html">preview</a> of <a href="Http://www.elderscrolls.com">TES4: Oblivion</a> based on some stuff they saw at some gaming show somewhere. Here's the introduction that gets the ball rolling:
<br>
<blockquote>Is there any role-playing game that's more anticipated than Bethesda Softworks' The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion? After all, this is one of those rare games that was eagerly awaited by PC and console gamers alike, and both were undoubtedly disappointed when the game was pushed back from late 2005 (it was originally slated as a launch title for Microsoft's Xbox 360) to March of 2006. After we got a chance to check the game out at some recent events, however, it looked like the game's developer made the right choice. While it wasn't quite ready for primetime a few months ago, the demo we had today at the 2006 Consumer Electronics Show proved that we'll all be heading to Oblivion soon.</blockquote>
<br>
I think the anticipation is more of a function of hype than anything else. If there hadn't been a bazillion previews, interviews and the like for this game, I'd say it wouldn't even be on the list of most anticipated CRPG sequels off the top of most peoples' heads.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.shacknews.com">Shack News</A>

gromit

Arcane
I, too, would like to play this game.
I will also add that when I first glanced at the thread title in the "Topics" section of the front page, I thought "pregandered" said "propagandaed."

PS: Ooh, duel-wielding! Now if only Drizzt would kiss me!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I think the anticipation is more of a function of hype than anything else. If there hadn't been a bazillion previews, interviews and the like for this game, I'd say it wouldn't even be on the list of most anticipated CRPG sequels off the top of most peoples' heads."

Stop whining. Considering how much whining coverage the Codex gives Oblivion if it sells 10 million copies I'm blaming you for that shitty series having another game succeed in spite of itself.

R00fles!

Data4

Arcane
Gamespy said:
Iffy

A first-person RPG that takes 50 to 100 hours to complete might be a bit much for some people to swallow.

Then perhaps those "some people" should pick a title more suited to their ADD limitations. Or try antifreeze, if they're looking for something to swallow.

Oblivion features only spoken dialogue, so you won't have to waste your time with any of that messy "reading" that plagues other RPGs.

*head explodes*

-D4

LlamaGod

Cipher
now that everything that's made RPGs like non-linearity, roleplaying and such have been stripped off them, they are going to be complaining about length.

Games in general need more length, what the hell. YEAH SURE FEELS GOOD TO SPEND $50 ON SOME FPS THAT TAKES 3 HOURS TO BEAT.

Elder Scrolls 5 will be 6 hours long (because its epic)

Data4

Arcane
Okay, I just finished reading the article, and it's safe to say the person who wrote it is a complete fucking idiot. Maybe I'm just too pendantic, but when a RPG preview decries reading and then calls guilds "unions", that pretty well kills the rest of it for me.

-D4

obediah

Erudite
Data4 said:
Okay, I just finished reading the article, and it's safe to say the person who wrote it is a complete fucking idiot. Maybe I'm just too pendantic, but when a RPG preview decries reading

so far so good...

and then calls guilds "unions", that pretty well kills the rest of it for me.

Really? Are you a term-monger that throws fits when people talk about 2-handed swords in 3E, or bitches about 'wizard' and 'magician' being used interchangeably? Is it like when everyone gets all pissed off when I ask how many points a baseball team has? Or the look I get when I order a medium coffee at starbucks? I don't care if a reviewer calls them guilds, unions, societies, groups, or clubs - I don't see why using the correct game lingo would have a strong correlation to the overall quality of a game review. Maybe you've already done the research and it does?

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
It's still a crap preview whether they're guilds, unions or fucking knitting circles.

How do you manage to wax lyrical about how wonderful it is that *shock, the innovation* NPCs are able to read a global flag which tells them you have broken the law? Or that the person running the demo has never, ever been tempted to say "screw the fine" (that would be option 2 out of 2) and this bodes well for replay value?

More arsegravy from the hype machine. Oh but it sure is pretty.

Data4

Arcane
obediah said:
Data4 said:
Okay, I just finished reading the article, and it's safe to say the person who wrote it is a complete fucking idiot. Maybe I'm just too pendantic, but when a RPG preview decries reading

so far so good...

and then calls guilds "unions", that pretty well kills the rest of it for me.

Really? Are you a term-monger that throws fits when people talk about 2-handed swords in 3E, or bitches about 'wizard' and 'magician' being used interchangeably? Is it like when everyone gets all pissed off when I ask how many points a baseball team has? Or the look I get when I order a medium coffee at starbucks? I don't care if a reviewer calls them guilds, unions, societies, groups, or clubs - I don't see why using the correct game lingo would have a strong correlation to the overall quality of a game review. Maybe you've already done the research and it does?

It's a package deal for me. If he called them "unions" in an otherwise decent preview, I would have overlooked it. Unfortunately, when a pall is cast on something, it's hard to try to look for positive things, when the only thing you can keep going back to is "he said WHAT about reading in a RPG?" It just makes it obvious that the guy would rather be fondling himself while blowing shit up as Mastercheif than to get into something that requires some basic cognitive ability.

So... yeah... terminology isn't something to get into a fit over, but it's pretty obvious that the reviewer doesn't normally do RPGs. Seems like a growing trend in gaming media.

-D4

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom