Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Space Rangers 2 preview at IGN

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: 1C Company; Space Rangers 2: Dominators

<a href=http://www.ign.com>IGN</a> have <a href=http://pc.ign.com/articles/680/680110p1.html>previewed</a> the already-finished-but-coming-soon-to-North-America spacey RPGish Space Rangers 2.<blockquote>I must admit, I'm a sucker for science fiction, and for open-ended gameplay. Games like Privateer and Sentinel Worlds had me happy as a bug in a rug. Unfortunately, space adventures of these types have been few and far between. Thankfully, it's not my only gaming passion; my days have been filled with all manner of gaming stuff. But there's a place in my heart for those other games, and it's nice to know somebody cares. Enter Space Rangers 2, from Russian developer Elemental Games, the sequel to a multi-genre romp through the space lanes that was quite popular in Europe and its native country. The sequel has already been released across the pond, actually, but us American grognards are just getting wind of it. It gets mentioned in the same breath as Elite, Pirates!, and Star Control 2, though, and that's a stiff wind. The publisher has also stated that the first game will be included in the box when it hits retail shelves in March, on DVD for thirty bucks.</blockquote>$30? DVD? Comes with the first game? Awesome.

Mulciber

Novice
Yes indeed. I 'borrowed' the game to tide me over until release, and am currently well immersed in Space Rangers 1.
There is one caveat to this, though.... Space Rangers 2 has the Starforce copy protection on it, and that truly is a bitch for legitimate game owners. It actually monkeys with your hardware settings... enabling turned-off bus connections and the like. For example, my setup uses an SATA hard disk as the boot disk, and Starforce disconnected it while trying to verify (or as near as I can figure, that is what happened). So if you do get the game, make sure that all of your important stuff is backed up (as a responsible, tech-savvy computer user, I'm sure that you do that already).

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Didn't people used to complain about how long it took American games to get localized? I suppose it would take longer, as most foreign (in this case, Russian) studios are pretty new and aren't going to have the resources of the established dudes here.

30 bucks for two games which are reputedly awesome, I'm already sold. I can't wait for March.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
kingcomrade said:
Didn't people used to complain about how long it took American games to get localized? I suppose it would take longer, as most foreign (in this case, Russian) studios are pretty new and aren't going to have the resources of the established dudes here.
Yeah, but the English version has been available in other English-speaking territories (UK, Aus, NZ) for a short while now. It wouldn't take very long to change the "colour"s to "color"s and other retard spelling, so I don't think localisation has anything to do with it in this case.

Or for Sacred Undies and others.
(Mind you, for that game maybe they took a while to replace all the gore effects etc with kiddie-safe ones and then have it ratified by the censors)

Balor

Arcane
Well, show me where you saw gore in Space Rangers :P
If only descs in some text quests... and that cannot be called, by defintion, graphic depiction of gore :D.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
I hope that they polish up the bad translations that I hear about. Balor said the Russian version had more missions. I wonder if they will add those back in for the NA release. I am definately going to pick this up in March.

Dhruin

Liturgist
I'll bet it's identical to the UK Exalibur release. Quite a few titles like this take longer to get to the US because it's hard to find an interested publisher. The smaller UK market is a little more nimble an doesn't need the same numbers.

bryce777

Erudite
Country_Gravy said:
I hope that they polish up the bad translations that I hear about. Balor said the Russian version had more missions. I wonder if they will add those back in for the NA release. I am definately going to pick this up in March.

I have some other projects to do, but I plan to clean up the spelling eventually.

And add in the other quests if that is not too much work. There are tools for both, thankfully.

Spazmo

Erudite
How about not having to dick around switching disks? A minor annoyance, obviously, but given that it probably saves publishers money to publish games on DVDs, there's no good reason not to do it--especially not to accomodate losers who still don't have DVD drives.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Installing from 4-5 CDs these days reminds me of installing from a truckload of those big-ass floppies 15 years ago. It was such a relief when they introduced CDs.

LlamaGod

Cipher
What the fuck game still makes you switch CDs?

You do it once at install and at most its like 4 CDs.

Spazmo

Erudite
...and that's an unnecessary pain in the ass that can be removed entirely by putting games on DVDs, which will probably save publishers money since even if they're DVDs, it must be cheaper to cut the number of discs stamped four or fivefold on every new game. Fewer discs in the box would also *slightly* increase the odds of jewel cases instead of paper envelopes or even manuals.

Spazmo

Erudite
Naked_Lunch said:
I don't like games on DVDs because I only have a CD drive.

And all I can say to you is fuck you, buy a DVD drive. Like VD said, it's just like CD ROMs vs. hordes of floppies. You're holding the rest of the class back.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom