Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Arx Review at AVault

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Arx Fatalis

<a href="http://www.avault.com/">AVault</a> has posted a <A href="http://www.avault.com/reviews/review_temp.asp?game=arxfatal">review</a> of <A href="http://www.arxfatalis-online.com">Arx Fatalis</a>, which gives the game a <b>2/5</b> for <i>gameplay</i>, and a <b>2.5/5</b> for the <i>overall</i>:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>It would be easy to overlook Arx Fatalis. With an outstanding number of flaws, including unforgivable gameplay issues out of the box, it'd be easy for me to tell you to steer clear of it. Since Arx Fatalis confines players to an underground realm and forces them along a linear path with only a limited number of side quests, it'd be easy for me to say that it lacks innovation. The truth of the matter, however, is that the game is completely engrossing, from the horribly narrated opening sequence to the pulse-pounding excitement of the final encounter. What Arx Fatalis lacks in innovation and polish, it more than makes up for in rich atmosphere. Arkane Studios missed the chance to give players a dragon's hoard of goodies, but they've succeeded in delivering a chest full of glittering prizes that no CRPG gamer should miss. </blockquote>
<br>
<br>
This has to be one of the most confusing reviews ever. <i>It sucks so bad, it's awful but it's got class, go get it</i>. It reminds me of the joke:
<br>
<br>
<b>Q:</b> What's the definition of <i>mixed emotions</i>?
<br>
<b>A:</b> Your mother-in-law driving off a cliff in your new porsche.
<br>

Flarnet

Liturgist
Well I can understand the ambivalence. I often found myself recommending the game to friends with words like "You have to play this game, it's wonderful. But beware, it sucks pretty bad."

I don't think I've ever played a game where the frequent "Oh yes!" are accompanied by such an equal amount of "Oh no!".

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Yeah, that just confuses the hell out of me. It sounds like when you find something that's been in the fridge too long and you go to your roommate/spouse/etc. and say, "Hey, you have to smell this, it's RANK!" ;)

That review absolutely hammers the game, though. It's nearly brutal in some spots, which is why the ending of it confused me where they recommend it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom