Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Sea Dogs 2 preview at Gaming World X

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Pirates of the Carribean

<A href="http://www.gamingworldx.com/">Gaming World X</a> has a <A href="http://www.gamingworldx.com/xbox/SeaDogsII.shtml">preview</a> of <A href="http://seadogs2.bethsoft.com/">Sea Dogs 2</a>, that sequel to the high seas CRPG. Here's a bit about it:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Aside from what?s scripted into the over-arching story, there is a random quest generator that opens up side quests to the player based on their skills, statistics and allegiances. A character skilled in combat will be more likely to get quests based around assassinations, where characters better trained in navigation will score more jobs running merchandise or smuggling. In addition, your allegiances will play into what quests you get - if you work with the Spanish often, opportunities to deliver French cargo won?t come along often. And on the main quest, having an allegiance with a certain nation may open up new difficulties that wouldn?t have been there. It?s clear that in order to succeed in this game, you?ll have to tread carefully and pick your fights.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Consequences of factions? Quests based on what you're good at? Big cannons? MMMmmmm!
<br>
<br>
Spotted this at <A href="http://www.ve3d.com">VoodooExtreme</a>.

voodoo1man

Liturgist
Pirates!!!

Thanks, Saint P., you've made me the happiest grumpy old man on earth! Finally, a modern high seas RPG! I've never heard of Sea Dogs before, but man am I going to run out and get it now.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Re: Pirates!!!

voodoo1man said:
Thanks, Saint P., you've made me the happiest grumpy old man on earth! Finally, a modern high seas RPG! I've never heard of Sea Dogs before, but man am I going to run out and get it now.

I've heard the first one was just mediocre, but the sequel sounds like they listenned to the comments about the first one and are radically improving what's available for the character in the second one.

In fact, I don't think you could even roam around on foot in the first one. At least, you couldn't roam around towns.

You can actually do quite a bit in Sea Dogs. Your captain gains experience from quests and naval battles and gets points you can use to raise various skills like Seamanship, Trade, Gunnery, etc. You can also wander around towns freely and pick up quests, some of which can be resolved by talking to people in towns, some of which are settled at sea. You can also be a privateer for England, Spain, or France, or else just a pirate, and there are different story arcs for each path. You can switch sides if you want, too, but it hurts your reputation. It's not really the most astounding game but still pretty fun. If they've improved a lot on it, the sequel should be really good.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Walks with the Snails said:
You can actually do quite a bit in Sea Dogs.... It's not really the most astounding game but still pretty fun. If they've improved a lot on it, the sequel should be really good.

Hmm, I totally missed the first one. I heard the name, but I figured it's one of those naval battle games or whatever. Sounds awesome, what WwtS wrote about the first one, and the preview of the second.

As ship combat is a huge part of the game, the animations and ship models are hugely detailed; as damage accumulates on a craft, crew members will be thrown overboard and sails will catch fire

Nice, not really important, but nice

A character skilled in combat will be more likely to get quests based around assassinations

I like assassinations. (Assuming it's not one of those go kill [random_name] and report back)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom