Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Hammer & Sickle sucks per LoadedInc

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Hammer & Sickle

There's <a href="http://www.loadedinc.com/review.php?temp_view=review.php&game=HammerandSickle&id=633">a review</a> of <a href="http://www.nival.ru/hs">Hammer & Sickle</a> over at <a href="http://www.loadedinc.com/">Loaded Inc</a>. The reviewer gave the game a <b>5/10</b> and said it basically wasn't any fun. Here's a bit on the combat:
<br>
<blockquote>The action is turn based, but the interface is a bit quirky. <u>At times, for instance, I had to reissue movement commands because my range of motion was outside of the allotment of steps for the given turn. It would be smoother to have a situation in which pressing the end of the turn button would keep your remaining movement buffered for the next round.</u> The combat interface took a bit of getting used to, but there are a suitable number of choices included to allow you flexibility in play. If you want to use a firearm, feel free, but be ready to deal with the consequences of blowing your cover. Alternately, if you can find an enemy alone, a quick flash of a knife can do the trick.</blockquote>
<br>
Umm.. Doesn't it? I'm pretty sure <a href="http://www.nival.ru/ss">Silent Storm</a> did that.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.shacknews.com">Shack News</A>

Section8

Cipher
shot11_uk.jpg

Top row of buttons, second from the left.

All in all, that was a better review than the mainstream sites. I got the impression that the criticisms weren't a direct result of the reviewer being "incompatible" with turn-based games. But, the message was ultimately, "I didn't enjoy it," with only very fleeting insight into the "meat" of the game.

LlamaGod

Cipher
I've seen this reviewers other reviews, he's a total fucking idiot

Mantiis

Cipher
The game seems to be a victim of reviewers likes and dislikes. If there was a liking to the game the reviewer would have put some effort into it; as it was they seemed to just want to get back to the latest GTA or FPS.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Well, the reviewers get tired of sucking Bioware/Valve/EA/id's dick every so often and they just take it out on an actual quality game like this one so they retain their "edge".

SpFiota

Novice
So what do you guys think of the game? Any of you played it? I tried the demo, but the dialogue was so bad it made me cringe. Silent Storm was great, but being a strategy game, dialogue wasn't as important. Is Hammer & Sickle worth picking up or what?

Balor

Arcane
I've played Russian version, and dialogue was great there.
Perhaps it may be bad translation... and besides, search for more H&S threads. There are quite a few 'mini-reviews' out there.

bryce777

Erudite
SpFiota said:
So what do you guys think of the game? Any of you played it? I tried the demo, but the dialogue was so bad it made me cringe. Silent Storm was great, but being a strategy game, dialogue wasn't as important. Is Hammer & Sickle worth picking up or what?

I am soso on it. I think I liked the silent storm ones better, even though sentinels has decided to hang on me every 5 minutes and has become basically unplayable.

The problem is there seems to be just a lot of wandering around and then you advance to teh next mission for no real reason.

Maybe if I played a character with a higher than 2 intelligence it would be a little better, though.

One day I will get back into it, but not for now.

Balor

Arcane
Maybe if I played a character with a higher than 2 intelligence it would be a little better, though.
Lol! Take a character of Int 8 in PST, and I bet you'll also think that it's a crappy actiony game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom