Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Nightdive Studios' System Shock Remake Kickstarter is live, Chris Avellone onboard

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Chris Avellone; Jason Fader; Nightdive Studios; Stephen Kick; System Shock (Nightdive Studios)

You may be aware that Nightdive Studios (formerly known as Night Dive Studios), the outfit responsible for recovering the rights to the System Shock franchise back in 2013, have been developing a remake of the first game since last year. A couple of months ago, they announced that they were going to fund its development using Kickstarter. That Kickstarter was launched today, with a funding goal of $900,000. Here's the pitch video:

Although System Shock Is Not An RPG™, there are at least two good reasons for posting about it here on the Codex front page. First of all, it may not surprise you at this point to learn that yes, Chris Avellone is involved with this game as well. He'll be helping to "shape and direct" the narrative, along with former Obsidianite Jason Fader, who is the project director. Second, the $1.4M stretch goal is adding RPG features. Specifically, a "true RPG character leveling system" with perks and skills.

The Kickstarter seems likely to reach that goal. Nightdive have put a great deal of effort into marketing their campaign, even producing a playable demo of their pre-alpha build, which is available for download on Steam or GOG (here's the trailer). If you're convinced by it, you can secure your copy of the System Shock remake for a minimum price of $30, with beta access available at $75. The game is scheduled for release in December 2017.

Last edited by a moderator:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
→ Brand new musical score composed by Jonathan Peros

Sorry, not backing this. You can't have a System Shock remake with a completely new music. The original OST is one of the best pieces of music ever composed for a computer game and an absolutely integral part of the game. It's like Blade Runner without Vangelis, like Star Wars without Williams. Madness.

It has been a while since we had a major kickstarter. Let's live things up with a big, multimillion sum of all donations!

Such a cool MCA picture!
e3a9e7435a0eccdabed08f1d35c0d6cf_original.png

Taskityo

Educated
That reenactment part was perfect.

Also - "Bioshock, the one where you... inject yourself... with stuff?"

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
Played the demo, but couldn't experience the nightmarish atmosphere of the original System Shock anymore. Using the generic Unity 1st person blueprint with bloom everywhere doesn't help either.

But I guess, for me personally, after System Shock 2, the Dead Space series and the great SOMA, that particular setting is worn out.

Last edited:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Always found reboots to be kinda useless. Perhaps I'll buy this some day once it's on a GOG sale.

Played the demo, but couldn't experience the nightmarish atmosphere of the original System Shock anymore.

Same.

It feels like it's competent work and the devs seem to appreciate the original, but... meh. "Modernisation" seems to more or less bring it down to the "been there done that in a million other games" -level.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Exellent! Oh, I wish it will be released tomorrow... :cry:

Sorry, not backing this. You can't have a System Shock remake with a completely new music. The original OST is one of the best pieces of music ever composed for a computer game and an absolutely integral part of the game. It's like Blade Runner without Vangelis, like Star Wars without Williams. Madness.
You are right, but for what do you think mods made?
I'm already thought about it - day 1 mode, to replace shitty new music (99% possibility) with old one.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, when it went from a new SS to a remake? And what about the other SS remake? What the fuck is going on?

There are two games. System Shock 3 from OtherSide Entertainment. System Shock remake from Nightdive Studios.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
There is a demo? Where?

I hope they put their own spin like SS2 did. Game was terrifying back then and still is. That Thief level sound design.

PrettyDeadman

Played the demo, but couldn't experience the nightmarish atmosphere of the original System Shock anymore.

The only spooky thing about original system shock was terrible controlls. Tying to play the game made me feel like a malfunctioning cyborg with a damaged brain unit.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm pretty broke right now as always, so I won't be backing this. I also don't feel good about kickstarting a reboot. Either make a new SS or not, but don't piggyback on the first game.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
I miss the old music, and yes, the old interface and control scheme too. There I said it. The only thing the original SS needed was mouselook (which we have mods for now).

Anyway, if they stick to the original blueprints (and I think they're planning to) at least moderntards will see what good leven design is.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom