Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Rebecca Heineman Interview on Shane Plays

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Bard's Tale; Bard's Tale II: The Destiny Knight; Bard's Tale III: Thief of Fate; Dragons of the Rip; Olde Skuul; Rebecca Heineman; Shane Stacks

This Saturday, Interplay veteran Rebecca Heineman was the guest on Shane Plays, the weekly radio show hosted by the Codex's own sstacks. As usual, Burger Becky had interesting stories to tell and grievances to air. The interview starts out with the entertaining tale of how she won a national Space Invaders tournament in 1980, allegedly the first of its kind. In the second half, she talks about her Dragons of the Rip project and her work on remastering the Bard's Tale trilogy for inXile. Shane uploaded the interview to his YouTube channel yesterday:

The video may seem long, but Becky doesn't actually spend a whole lot of time talking about the games. Dragons of the Rip (which never did get Kickstarted) is being developed on a strictly part-time basis, and it doesn't sound like it'll be done anytime soon. The game will be a "node-based" blobber (which means something akin to the movement in the original Myst) set in a "modern" fantasy world where amenities such as ATMs function using magic. Becky says it won't be a story-centric game, but that hasn't stopped her from writing several novels' worth of story material for it, as well as comic books.

As for the Bard's Tale trilogy remaster, Becky doesn't go into the level of technical detail about it that she did in her Matt Chat interview, but she does list three major changes from the original games. First, bug fixes. Second, the ability to actually transport your party between the three games, effectively turning the trilogy into one huge game. Third, the addition of many pieces of "playful" flavor text throughout the game. I hope that's not as silly as it sounds, but it may take a while to find out, because while a beta of the remaster has been available from inXile since March, Becky has apparently not been able to finalize it on account of her not getting paid by them. I had a feeling something like that would happen.

sstacks

Arcane
Cheers Infinitron

I think the RPG game stuff happens about 25 minutes in.

The first portion of the interview is about Burger winning the first home console video game championship sponsored by Atari in 1980.

And yeah I'm a bit bummed about the inXile payment thing, hopefully it is not a major drama and gets resolved soon. I will give all involved the benefit of the doubt for the time being.

Morkar Left

I hope that's not as silly as it sounds, but it may take a while to find out, because while a beta of the remaster has been available from inXile since March, Becky has apparently not been able to finalize it on account of her not getting paid by them. I had a feeling something like that would happen.

Seriously? What's up now again?

Weasel
It was evil publishers

aliens.png

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Becky is crazy, but Brian also has a history of (being accused of) not paying people - see also his conflict with Michael Cranford. So who knows, indeed.

I don't know about Fargo, but she really gives off a weird vibe : she seems very volatile for example...

Last edited:

Klarion

Arcane
we saw the work she did with the new Battle Chess, not sure why she thinks Fargo should pay her... He gave her a chance, that should be enough.

Morkar Left

The beta version looks very good. It's just too fast when walking atm plus here and there some hiccups. Otherwise that's how I imagine a new published old game should be like.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom