Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Oblivion podcast at Neocast

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

The guys at Neocast (I can't find a site for them, unfortunately) got Pete Hines, of Bethesda infamy, to do an interview in a <a href=http://www.poweruser.tv/podcasts/neowin/Neocast3.mp3>podcast</a> (direct link to the mp3). I can't be bothered to listen to it, but let's assume they discussed Oblivion and it was kind of depressing.
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.ve3d.com">Voodoo Extreme</A>

Spazmo

Erudite
Great minds think alike, I suppose.

Well, I don't know about "great".

Actually I'm dubious about "think", as well.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
I listened to the whole thing while playing poker. He talks about Fallout 3 about 40 minutes into it. He says that he is a big fan and just recently went back and played it again since it had been "however many years" since he played it. He didn't really say anything about the game since they don't have anything now (except that it will use the Oblivion engine).

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Yeah they're replacing SPECIAL with
Shooting (improves autoaim)
Handling (faster reloading)
Intellection (increases frequency of tooltips, makes compass bigger)
Talking (Gives you subtitles during cutscenes)

LlamaGod

Cipher
they arnt hip enough for the retards stupid enough to drop cash for the IPod trend that's going to end up like Tamagotchis some years on down the line

MP3 players will still be fine, but ipods are just a retarded fad and PODCASTS are for those people that are hip to be square and listen to the internet instead of read it

Levski 1912

Scholar
LlamaGod said:
they arnt hip enough for the retards stupid enough to drop cash for the IPod trend that's going to end up like Tamagotchis some years on down the line

MP3 players will still be fine, but ipods are just a retarded fad and PODCASTS are for those people that are hip to be square and listen to the internet instead of read it
At least half the people on the bus I take to campus have iPods. And a lot of people who already have and iPod go and get the Nano. So I don't think that crap is dying soon.

And don't forget the cash cow iTunes is.

obediah

Erudite
kingcomrade said:
Yeah they're replacing SPECIAL with
Shooting (improves autoaim)
Handling (faster reloading)
Intellection (increases frequency of tooltips, makes compass bigger)
Talking (Gives you subtitles during cutscenes)

My bet is they're skipping Deus Ex and going straight to Inivisible War with this one.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Apple did not invent podcasts. I'm so tired of retarded macfans blathering on about how cool it is that they can podacst with their iPods, and how evolutionary Apple was for inventing it. APPLE STEALS EVERY IDEA. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

Lumpy

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
Great! So now we know it's going to be a FPS.
Not necessarily. Although it's likely to be, the use of Oblivion's engine doesn't prove so at all. From what I understood, Morrowind's engine was also used for a strategy game or something. Anyway, something isometric.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Who said they were using an old engine for it? Is that something that Pete actually announced? It seems that these games should be pretty different. I would expect a different engine to power FO3

Araanor

Liturgist
Morrowind, Oblivion and many other games build on NetImmerse/Gamebryo, which is more like a multi-platform renderer with other useful stuff. It's not a "game engine" in the sense of what you'd get if you bought the rights to use the Doom3-engine; it's not any more predisposed towards strategy games than FPSs or anything else.

The economic and easy thing to do would be to salvage as much of the Oblivion code as possible for FO3, though we're not yet sure exactly what they're intending. They could rip it all up if it was in their interests. I don't think we'll see much graphical differences since they're probably aiming for an Xbox360-title for this game too.

Excalibur

Liturgist
Dude, its going to be an xbox exclusive and a cheesy pc port, and we will have stupid press asking questions, like, "after 10 years, what made you make the obvious choice to switch development over to x-box 360, the true system for rpgs..."

HardCode

Erudite
ARe you guys fucking kidding? Bethesda is just going to use the TES Construction Set to make Fallout 3. Jeez. :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom