Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity II Fig Update #3: Level Up!

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

People keep giving Obsidian and the progressive elite of the games industry more money by pledging to the Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire crowdfunding campaign on Fig.
And we're I am not complaining!

Just look at this:

The Fig campaign for Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire continues to steam ahead thanks to our awesome fans and backers. We've just unlocked a level cap raise from 16 to 18, meaning a whole slew of new character abilities.​

Two whole new levels of character progression. That's just insane. What will they think of next? Another companion, and AI customization, apparently:

15446.jpg

Stay tuned for more news on Pillars II. There will probably be another update from Sawyer today or tomorrow, and then an update from narrative designer Carrie Patel. I will probably have to post those news too, because our news robot was sent into active duty in Palestine or something.

Suicidal

Arcane
So the 1.8 million stretch goal is called "seventh companion", does that min they are planning 6-7 companions total? In other words they are going from 8 (11 with WM) to 6-7 in the sequel? Wut?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Baldurs Gate went from 25 to 16 in the sequel. :M After stretch goals this will probably have at least eight too.

Suicidal

Arcane
Well 25 companions is a bit too much so I'm fine with lowering that number. 11 companions in WM is a very good number to work with, IMO, so lowering that is pretty shitty. In PoE + WM you can play through the game twice and take completely different companions each time, however with 7 in PoE 2 in your second playthrough you would have to take half of the companions you already played with.

Sizzle

Arcane
The 25 companions in BG1 had barely any dialogue. In BG2 they got personal quests, banters, etc., but they still varied by the amount of content - some were more developed, some less.

In PoE1, the characters get about equal interjections, and everyone has a quest (some better, some worse), but it's obvious they scaled down their importance to what was originally planned. For example, Eder was supposed to have been much more important to the story. And Durance still stands out from the rest of the companion cast - by both the amount (and quality) of content, as well as the importance of his quest to the overall game.

If they can produce companions on par with Durance (and by that I don't mean his writing quality - Avellone is gone from Obsidian and we shouldn't expect another character of that caliber from them again, unfortunately), that are integrated into the game's central themes as well as he was, had tangible reasons to follow you around, and greater reactivity to your choices as well as their own agency - I'm fine with less of them.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I'm still not sure whether I'd enjoy fewer and deeper, or more and shallower companions.
I thought BG2 had enough depth. Most companions had a short to medium-sized quest, and some of those led to character alterations such as class changes, alignment changes (I think?) and heck, even gender swapping.
I also thought BG2 companions had a decent amount of banter. Too much and they become annoying.

Raziel

Educated
I'm actually fine with the stretch goals, maybe OE learned from the first kickstarter. Throwing in super-hype stretch goals and then delivering a turd only results in tears.

Would rather be surprised by things they haven't announced, than be disappointed by the things they have.

Raziel

Educated
Sarevok can change his alignment as well. Don't think there's any class changes that are a result of your actions, though.

If you can directly influence your companions in this manner then having ~8 might be fine...as long as subsequent playthroughs reward you with a different dialogue/story experience. Gameplay-wise you'll already be able to make Eder a wizard, and we all know how much stats matter in PoE.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Sarevok can change his alignment as well. Don't think there's any class changes that are a result of your actions, though.
Anomen?

Edit: apparently not. huh!

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Anomen?

Edit: apparently not. huh!

In case you're interested, there's a nice little mod that deals with this.
I don't play games with mods unless they're completely superficial or fix bugs, but thanks anyway.

So you have never used SCS or other mods in bg2?

Br00TCn.gif

Q

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2
Isn't new max party size - five? So we have 4 companions for max party. So 8 is kinda perfect for two walkthroughs. And then we will surely have DLCs.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Being honest, the equalization of companions is one of the worst things to happen in cRPG writing. Characters aren't equal in any other of dramatic fiction (you have protagonists, deurtergonist, tritagonist, etc) and just the fact every character has a problem or quest they are willing to share creates huge plausibility questions right away -- a strong sign of checklist game design.

They need a Goldpact Knight type companion who is a completely likable and interesting and whose sole investment in the adventure is that it fits his conviction that fighting for money is the noblest thing a Paladin can do, and has no drama or bullshit aside from the player having to make periodic payments in order to stop him from leaving the party. On the other hand, he has fought for lots of factions and groups in the Archipelago, so he is a useful asset to have around from a role playing perspective.

Then they need a Toy-like companion who is just utterly mysterious no matter how hard you probe it, and you can never figure out anything about it despite promising leads, because sometimes the people you meet in life have (or are) unsolvable mysteries.

And so on and so forth.

Measures like that would make the setting and situation feel real.

Last edited:

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Isn't new max party size - five? So we have 4 companions for max party. So 8 is kinda perfect for two walkthroughs. And then we will surely have DLCs.

Yeah, MOAR DLCs. Nothing shows quality and care from developer more than fucking companion DLCs.

They need a Goldpact Knight type companion who is a completely likable and interesting and whose sole investment in the adventure is that it fits his conviction that fighting for money is the noblest thing a Paladin can do, and has no drama or bullshit aside from the player having to make periodic payments in order to stop him from leaving the party. On the other hand, he has fought for lots of factions and groups in the Archipelago, so he is a useful asset to have around from a role playing perspective.

Then they need a Toy-like companion who is just utterly mysterious no matter how hard you probe it, and you can never figure out anything about it despite promising leads, because sometimes the people you meet in life have (or are) unsolvable mysteries.

And so on and so forth.

Yeah, companion who is there just for money and walking puddle of shit is sure going to make GOD HUNTING SETTING BELIEVABLE and REAL. I would ask again: How low can you go? (Obsidian fans) But I already know...:abyssgazer:

picard-facepalm_mkuu.jpg

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Yeah, MOAR DLCs. Nothing shows quality and care from developer more than fucking companion DLCs.

And so on and so forth.

Yeah, companion who is there just for money and walking puddle of shit is sure going to make GOD HUNTING SETTING BELIEVABLE and REAL. I would ask again: How low can you go? But I already know.

... have you been drinking?

Yeah, in the real world if you were a local at a bar or on a ship or in any social situation of any kind you would meet all sorts of people who have all sorts of level of engagement and interest in the society around them. A world like Arcanum feels real (despite its awkward and sometimes frankly bad writing) partly because you have companions have varying levels of engagement with you, each other, and the world around them. Companions with "their own goals and different motivations" doesn't amount to much when every arc proceeds in adhesion with the exact same formula. The reason why dramatic fiction has to be written with supporting cast of varying importance and participation is because the audience is supposed to experience things vicariously through the protagonist and the supporting cast have varying importance and participation to him. When you make every character equally important and make their arcs proceed according to the same formula, it feels far less like you are a discovering an amazing fantasy world and more like playing a video game that somebody designed in a very obvious way.

Furthermore, in Planescape, when you think of companions, you don't think of them it in terms of concepts like "personal quests." Grace's personal quest (if she even has one) happens before you recruit her (talking to the prostitutes in the Brothel of Slaking Intellectual Lusts), you would never know Dakkon even had a quest unless you were a mage and spent a lot of time digging through text, Morte doesn't have a quest at all, etc.

Gold Pact Knight as described is a great role playing concept for a variety of reasons. The opportunities for interactivity are endless because unlike say Durance or Eder this is a guy who has a plausible reason to know everyone and be involved in everything (he's a mercenary who has been around the block for years or decades). He knows secrets and can serve as a compass to any number of treasures or Easter Eggs (the vault he was once employed to guard he can put out to the player). His motivation is probably the most natural and sensible of any companion given the nature of the Watcher's quest (which involves killing stuff and finding valuable treasures), and can be used to turn traditional concepts of heroic fantasy on their head (raising an eyebrow at the suggestion that he should have a personal quest for the Watcher to solve, "I'm on your dime, boss." It's pretty clear why people would like him and want to have him in their party on at least one play through. Furthermore, his participation is based partly in mechanics and economy rather than purely story line reasons.

Last edited:

duanth123

Arcane
Gold Pact Knight as described is a great role playing concept for a variety of reasons. The opportunities for interactivity are endless because unlike say Durance or Eder this is a guy who has a plausible reason to know everyone and be involved in everything (he's a mercenary who has been around the block for years or decades). He knows secrets and can serve as a compass to any number of treasures or Easter Eggs (the vault he was once employed to guard he can put out to the player). His motivation is probably the most natural and sensible of any companion given the nature of the Watcher's quest (which involves killing stuff and finding valuable treasures), and can be used to turn traditional concepts of heroic fantasy on their head (raising an eyebrow at the suggestion that he should have a personal quest for the Watcher to solve, "I'm on your dime, boss." It's pretty clear why people would like him and want to have him in their party on at least one play through. Furthermore, his participation is based partly in mechanics and economy rather than purely story line reasons.

I like your idea, but it's totally antithetical to PoE II's high concept plot as outlined thus far.

I mean wouldn't the Gold Pact Knight know better than to even take a contract with, you, the Watcher were you to disclose your true objective:

Chasing down a giant statue inhabited by a literal god in order to take back your soul? That the god was seemingly able to absorb, along with others, by merely coming into your proximity?

I like your idea, but it's totally antithetical to PoE II's high concept plot as outlined thus far.

I mean wouldn't the Gold Pact Knight know better than to even take a contract with, you, the Watcher were you to disclose your true objective:

Chasing down a giant statue inhabited by a literal god in order to take back your soul? That the god was seemingly able to absorb, along with others, by merely coming into your proximity?

Not sure what the objection is. That it is unsafe? Ordinary men were willing to stand up to Eothas during the Saint's War.

That his soul might be break down, be manipulated, and destroyed? The Kith already "know" from their religion and their observation of nature that that is their eventual fate anyway, and some (like the Pale Elves in Eir Ganfath) are actively pursuing it, or at least don't mind it.

There is no fundamental reason why the Gold Pact Knight would be unwilling to sign a lucrative contract because putting their lives (and even their souls in danger) for the sake of reward is precisely what their philosophy tells them to do. They are still Paladins, and they aggressively pursue their ideals in the face of danger.

Granted, a majority of Gold Pact Knights would probably be unwilling to make the contract, but overwhelming majorities of all factions and groups would be unwilling to help the Watcher in his quest. The Gold Pact Knight who is willing to help is going to be the one who appears in the narrative.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom