Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity II Fig Update #15: Companion Relationships Unlocked, Final Week

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

After getting another big chunk of investment money, the Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Fig campaign reached $3M of funding last night, unlocking the companion relationships system stretch goal. The campaign is now in its final days, and the big question is how much higher it can go. Obsidian don't seem too concerned about that though, because they've taken Presidents Day off, leaving us only with this brief update teasing a "super cool" feature (seriously we know it's a ship guys) and announcing a couple of silly physical rewards:

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all our fans, backers, and investors for helping us reach the amazing milestone of $3 million dollars! It's truly amazing that we've hit this point. We're now the campaign with the most backers in Fig history, and it's due to our amazing fans who, like us, want to make Pillars of Eternity II the deepest, most robust, and most engrossing RPG it can possibly be. We're so excited to be able to include companion relationships, which we know are going to make the game even more incredible.

While we have more in the way of stretch goals and -- only a few days left to achieve them! -- we'll save them (and a big announcement about a really important, super cool, and heretofore extremely hush-hush game feature) for our next update, which will be coming very soon. For now, we'll keep it brief and just say thanks.

And by way of saying thanks, we want to announce that we're including two new rewards for several of our backer tiers, both of which feature the unofficial, super cute, pet mascot of Pillars of Eternity, the Space Pig!

Please note, that due to the holiday, it make take a day or so before the item lists on the tiers on the Fig page reflect the additional pin and plushie, but rest assured, if you're at $149 or above you're getting the pin, and if you're at $500 or above you're getting the pin and the plushie!

Thanks again to everyone who's helped us get this far. With your help, let's see how much more we can add to Pillars II before the campaign ends in the next few days!
Deadfire's funding rate has slowed down quite a bit over the last week, but has been periodically bolstered by these suspiciously well-timed influxes of investment money. The investment cap was increased to $2.25M several days ago due to high demand, so in theory the campaign could have as much as $3.75M guaranteed right now. These last few days will be interesting to watch.

Drowed

Arcane
Deadfire's funding rate has slowed down quite a bit over the last week, but has been periodically bolstered by these suspiciously well-timed influxes of investment money.

mystery.png

almondblight

Arcane
Deadfire's funding rate has slowed down quite a bit over the last week, but has been periodically bolstered by these suspiciously well-timed influxes of investment money.

Every time I've looked it seemed to be hovering at a little less than 50%.

Anyone wanna guess why first game had +77000 backers and this one almost 27000 ?

They gave away the answer in this update:

We're now the campaign with the most backers in Fig history

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Anyone wanna guess why first game had +77000 backers and this one almost 27000 ?
:hmmm:
Maybe the same reason why Wasteland 2 had 61000 backers, but Wasteland 3 only had 17000? Or because Banner Saga 1 had 20000 but Banner Saga 3 has 6100?

The first wave of kickstarters had the adventage of the kickstarter boom, and also Fig is still less known than Kickstarter. That is the reason my friend. Not some nonsensical reason you seem to be implying.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
It would be semi-interesting trivia to know how much of those Fig investments have been negotiated pre-campaign (or during it).

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It would be semi-interesting trivia to know how much of those Fig investments have been negotiated pre-campaign (or during it).
If they are good business man, and Feargus is good, than he negotiated the big invenstments way before the campaign. As he should be. They made this platform for investments, the least they can do is to use its potential.

Aenra

You are not fooling me

I read it differently; thought he meant 50k backers less, but over 3 mil funding total in FIG, ergo a good chunk of the money being 'shady' (aka devs throwing in their own money because it's 'free' to) and/or non-player funded and does that tell us tell us anything about its 'soaring' success.
But whatever he meant, it's good news either way. One more proper RPG getting a seven figure sum before it's even made. One more studio securing its future for a few more years.

Personally, this FIG thing worries me more than KS did, but this is entirely unrelated to your conversation with the other guy :)

Turok

Erudite
Because some people will do what i am doing, i will wait until 2020 when the game is with all de expansions and patches at $9 or less.

I still no finish POE, what's the hurry?

duanth123

Arcane
Not some nonsensical reason you seem to be implying.
Implying what?
You are not fooling me. This is the Codex. You passive agressively implied that the first game must be shit, and that is the reason of the lower backer number.

You are the one who is not fooling anyone.

• Divinity: Original Sin

Divinity Original Sin is an old-school cRPG with new ideas & modern execution, will release this year. Funded by fantastic backers!

4d698ae66ff3cb2e844525d12718caf8_original.jpg

by Larian Studios LLC and 19,541 backers

• Divinity: Original Sin 2

An epic RPG with turn-based combat, cooperative/competitive multiplayer; sequel to Divinity: Original Sin, GameSpot's PC Game of 2014.

by Larian Studios LLC and 42,713 backers

Turok

Erudite
The other day i saw a lot hate against fig on some sites that offer the news of the campaign of POE2, say something about the creator of FIG mr shaft or something, the guy that make monkey adventures games, i don't know the drama, what i know is that some people don't want use FIG.

almondblight

Arcane
Yeah, I think they would have raised a lot more money if they hadn't used Fig. But I think Feargus is trying to get in on that sweet KS cash, so campaigns like this are probably just as much about raising Fig's profile as they are for raising money for the game. Maybe even more about Fig, even.

Rev

Arcane
Not some nonsensical reason you seem to be implying.
Implying what?
You are not fooling me. This is the Codex. You passive agressively implied that the first game must be shit, and that is the reason of the lower backer number.

You are the one who is not fooling anyone.

• Divinity: Original Sin

Divinity Original Sin is an old-school cRPG with new ideas & modern execution, will release this year. Funded by fantastic backers!

by Larian Studios LLC and 19,541 backers

• Divinity: Original Sin 2

An epic RPG with turn-based combat, cooperative/competitive multiplayer; sequel to Divinity: Original Sin, GameSpot's PC Game of 2014.

by Larian Studios LLC and 42,713 backers
Yeah, Larian's second KS was more successful than its first, but still it wasn't anywhere near the success of both PoE and T:ToN because those two came out in a time where KS was booming and the only rpgs that came out regularly were BioWare and Bethesda's ones. Larian's managed to do better just because its first campaign didn't exactly raised that many money.
In the last years we've seen a lot of new rpgs, so the crowd is definetely less thirsty than it was in 2012/13 and that is the reason behind the declining backers, more than a general fatigue toward Kickstarter per se. On the other hand, I think if someone would try a campaign to spark new life in other genres that still aren't getting made (like a spiritual successor to Age of Empires/Mythology) there would be much more interest, compared to the campaign of a (now usual) top down rpg.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Because some people will do what i am doing, i will wait until 2020 when the game is with all de expansions and patches at $9 or less.

I still no finish POE, what's the hurry?
I plan to Arrr PoE2 on release (who are we kidding, 1 month later after Bugsidian fixes all critical bugs) and if it is better than PoE1, buy it on Steam Sale when the Ultimate Version is out.

I am not getting fooled again like with PoE1.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
In the last years we've seen a lot of new rpgs, so the crowd is definetely less thirsty than it was in 2012/13 and that is the reason behind the declining backers, more than a general fatigue toward Kickstarter per se.

No. The amount of bakers declined due to the quality of the games that were delivered. And Larian example proves it. Now people support/kickstart games of companies that they are going to buy anyway, but getting more bang for buck. It started as something like "I support developers, whose project I like and I want to be part of community" and ended up "I buy at kickstarter/fig because that's how I save money".

This kickstarter fatigue is the shill/tool/retard/imbecile explanation for developers not "getting a read" on the player base and shoving something they are comfortable with. We wanted FO we got WL2 (which is not a tragedy, but exploration based RPG with C&C beats FO: BOS style games with Huge margin), we wanted mature setting we are getting elves/dwarfs etc. Which is not that bad, but it's not what the old school base wants. Some people (including me) thought that supporting what they want will get me/us eventually what we want. That didn't happen.

And there's also the elephant in room: The quality of products being delivered.

Larian has comfortably found it's niche. Coop players who like TB, lack of writing/story, elemental effects and gorgeous graphics. And now they are reaping the dividends.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Larian has comfortably found it's niche. Coop players who like TB, lack of writting/story, elemental effects and goergeous grafics. And now they are reaping the dividends.

What dividends? Larian proves Kickstarter fatigue. With the proven track record of a game as good as D:OS, they should have easily gotten $4M for its sequel's Kickstarter. $2M is sad - Harebrained Schemes got more than that for their mech combat game.

Anyway don't look now because PoE2 might just beat them in the next 48 hours

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Larian has comfortably found it's niche. Coop players who like TB, lack of writting/story, elemental effects and goergeous grafics. And now they are reaping the dividends.

What dividends? Larian proves Kickstarter fatigue. With a proven track record and a game as good as D:OS, they should have easily gotten $4M for its sequel's Kickstarter. $2M is sad - Harebrained Schemes got more than that for their mech strategy game.

ROFL. Larian games are a niche within a niche. No writing, no story, just coop play AND they managed to more than double the amount of backers. Something you have a hard time understanding.
That's why HBS got more money. BECAUSE it delivered something that market actually wants not what it's board/investors/wifes/loan sharks/Developers etc. want/are comfortable with. Current situation is the barrometer of how players view company's actions.

Anyway don't look now because PoE2 might just beat them in the next 48 hours
Do "investors" even get a copy? :roll:

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
ROFL. Larian games are a niche within a niche. No writing, no story, just coop play AND they managed to more than double the amount of backers.

1. Well, that niche has sold more than any other oldschool CRPG released recently..

Do "investors" even get a copy? :roll:

2. I mean without investors.

1. How does that contradict anything that I have said? Getting a read on audience.
2. What exactly is it beating then?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom