Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Oblivion Q&A with Telefragged

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

<a href="http://www.telefragged.com/">Telefragged</a> has an <a href="http://www.telefragged.com/interviews/oblivion-march2006/">interview</a> with <b>Pete Hines</b> of <a href="http://www.bethsoft.com">Bethesda</a> about this little known game they've been working on, which could use more hype. If you haven't heard of it, I'm not surprised. It's called <a href="http://www.elderscrolls.com">Oblivion</a> and it's for the PC and XBox360. Anyway, clippy:
<br>
<blockquote><b> Finger: Some gamers out there can't play first-person games because the viewpoint makes them physically ill in just a few minutes of play. Will Oblivion's third-person viewpoint be usable in all situations? Can one realistically go through the whole game in this view?
<br>
<br>
Pete Hines:</b> As someone who used to have that problem, I can sympathize with how bad it can be at times. Yes, you can play the entire game in third-person, or change between the first and third-person at any point. It's certainly possible to play the game entirely in third-person. </blockquote>
<br>
I remember this statement about <b>Morrowind</b> as well. Sure, you can play the game in third person so long as you didn't want to read any signs or didn't want to go in to that dwarf dungeon at the beginning of the game because the switch was so small, it was nearly impossible to target it in third person. I'm sure there's cases of that later on in the game, but I had so much trouble with the third person in it, I switched over to first. So, yeah, you could - but it sucked. Here's hoping they're serious about third person this time.
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blue's News</A>

NoisyKillerHPB

Scholar
I hope you can manually rotate the 3rd person camera this time instead of having to stand and wait for the fake screensaver in order to see your front.

edit: my bad

Anoik

Novice
This time you can't rotate the camera in the third person view, well, only a litle, but not a lot. But you can rotate the char in the inventory view. I don't remenber where have i read that :roll:

Tintin

Arbiter
Anoik said:
This time you can't rotate the camera in the third person view, well, only a litle, but not a lot. But you can rotate the char in the inventory view. I don't remenber where have i read that :roll:

Pete did it in the e3 video.

dongle

Scholar
NoisyKillerHPB said:
I hope you can manually rotate the 3rd person camera this time instead of having to stand and wait for the fake screensaver in order to see your front.
In MW you held down tab while moving the mouse to see the front of you.

dongle

Scholar
Somewhere I read a review that said the 3rd person view animations looked horrible, and the reviewer could only stand it for a few minutes.

On the PC it's actually a slider so that it can be pulled in for older or slower cards, or drawn out further on the latest cards. As newer and better cards come out, you'll be able to adjust that even further.
Is he implying the maximum draw distance is greater on the PC than the Xbox? I thought that wasn’t the case, but sounds promising if it is true.

Micmu

Magister
dongle said:
Somewhere I read a review that said the 3rd person view animations looked horrible, and the reviewer could only stand it for a few minutes.
Gaming Steve (I think). He said that 3rd person view was so horribly animated (lots of skating and no transitions) he couldn't play it.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
What the fuck is wrong with you bitches? Why the fuck are you talking about this stupid shit? Who gives a fuck? Don’t you fucking queers have dicks to suck or something? Why don’t you all go practice peeing sitting down and how to toss your long locks prettily. Then shave your pubic hairs into a cute little heart shape.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Hey, it beats talking about soil erosion.. And it's another fine example of Bethesda's commitment to quality!

Micmu

Magister
Hey Roqua... Have you preordered the Collector's Edition yet?

aiee.gif

Antiphon

Scholar
My 2 cents: The interviewer didn't ask very good questions at all. Nothing I care about anyway.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I tend to agree with that. I read through it looking for something fairly fresh and interesting, but wasn't left with a hell of a lot of choices there. Most Telefragged interviews and articles are like that.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
micmu said:
Hey Roqua... Have you preordered the Collector's Edition yet?

aiee.gif

of course i did dude; i eagerly awaits it broham. Its like totally rocking! Fake currency? How awesome is that? Walkthrough? Walkthroughs are like radical because this game will be really complex and you will like need one to even do anything. Behind the scenes footage? Fucking A dude, I want to see how an awesome game like this was made, it might even be more fun than playing it. The collects editions is like a given for serious rpgers or even gamers of all kinds and shit. AWESOME!!!!!!

DamnElfGirl

Liturgist
I don't think I ever wrote a review, but I played Morrowind completely in first person because in third person A) the character movement animations looked hideous and drove me nuts, B) fighting was cumbersome and seemed like it had been tuned for first person view, and C) it was difficult to target objects in the environment.

I'll be quite surprised if Oblivion has fixed any of these problems.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom