Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Sawyer takes over NWN2 development

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: J.E. Sawyer; Neverwinter Nights 2; Obsidian Entertainment

J.E. Sawyer has taken over <a href=http://www.atari.com/nwn2/>Neverwinter Nights 2</a> development, following Ferret's mysterious disappearance.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>I'm now the acting lead designer on NWN2. As for the changes, I'm sure that coarse combat skill divisions could work in a fantasy game like D&D. D&D is sort of bizarre in how it divides things. I thought the division of melee skills in the first game felt clumsy and effectively forced a continual point dump if characters wanted to use them throughout the game. We'll be changing that now.</blockquote>
<br>
Interesting development, to say the least.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.nwn2news.net">NWN2 News</A>

DemonKing

Arcane
Can't say this is a good sign - projects that lose their lead designer in the midst of development often don't turn out that great...although if NWN2 is to release in June I'm presuming that most of the design work is done by now.

Of course, it could just be that Ferret has finished the bulk of his work and is now heading for greener pastures.

Ellester

Liturgist
Whipporowill said:
Ferret MIA as in getting canned, or getting a better offer?
I would like to find out if there was a falling out with Ferrett or he just moved on. Seems weird he's gone as he was with Black Isle and has worked with the Obs guys at Obs and BIS for the last 4 years or so.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I was working on an interview with him, he seemed happy with the project. Then he suddenly cancelled, said that things have changed, etc. Mystary.

Avin

Liturgist
first they cut mounts, second ferret. deja vu?
is ferret going to bio mmorpg or fo3?

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
JE Sawyer is nortorious for cutting into other peoples jobs. My bet is that the ferret guy still works there but is working on some stupid shit.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
J.E. Sawyer said:
D&D is sort of bizarre in how it divides things. I thought the division of melee skills in the first game felt clumsy and effectively forced a continual point dump if characters wanted to use them throughout the game. We'll be changing that now.
Just so I can get this right, JE has taken over a project and the first thing he's doing is merging combat skills because, shock horror, it's necessary to actually put points into them so you can use them?

It's happening again!!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I doubt it'll effect the game at all.

Ferret was cool; but Sawyer is a professioanl and the project isn't dying.

As for Ferret and BIS... IIRC, he was abrely there before they crashed so that doesn't impress me. Then again, saying you worked at a company when it died isn't exactly soemthing to brag about. LOL

His work on NWN2 is/will be more impressive most likely. :D

HotSnack

Cipher
DarkUnderlord said:
J.E. Sawyer said:
D&D is sort of bizarre in how it divides things. I thought the division of melee skills in the first game felt clumsy and effectively forced a continual point dump if characters wanted to use them throughout the game. We'll be changing that now.
Just so I can get this right, JE has taken over a project and the first thing he's doing is merging combat skills because, shock horror, it's necessary to actually put points into them so you can use them?

It's happening again!!
I thought VD just added that last bit in as a reference joke, but I guess it's even more funny if that's an actual quote.

Well, probably not funny for those planning to buy the game.

Voss

Erudite
Hmm. Since D&D doesn't have any combat skills as such, I'm not sure what he'd be referring to. As far as I remember, bioware just added the poorly implemented parry skill.

Voss

Erudite
You do know how D&D 3.0/3.5 works, right? You've got a base attack bonus (each class gets a set bonus rate), your stat bonus(es), possibly a weapon focus feat (to add a grand total of +1, with the option of greater weapon focus if you're a fighter) and then your magic weapon of choce. Thats all that really affects combat directly.

The skills are almost all non-combat. Bioware added parry as a skill, and added a dodge bonus for ranks in the tumble skill. And, I think thats all...

All other combat abilties/options are feats. Not something you sink 'points' into. And I doubt very much that WotC would allow a licensee to fuck with the feats too much.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Yeah. Word on the street sawyer is that you're a dick. It's amazing you don't fit in better around us, but then again, you're not as awesome as I.

J.E. Sawyer

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
Major_Blackhart said:
Yeah. Word on the street sawyer is that you're a dick. It's amazing you don't fit in better around us, but then again, you're not as awesome as I.
It's always interesting to learn from others that I'm incompetent at everything other than bamboozling companies full of people!

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Hey, I never STATED you were, just said that it was rumored as such. Thanks for ducking the question! Also, did anyone see the new episode of South park? Funny as hell. Never figured Isaac Hayes for a scientologist, or chef for a pedo. :lol:

J.E. Sawyer

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
Major_Blackhart said:
Hey, I never STATED you were, just said that it was rumored as such. Thanks for ducking the question!
I don't see a question in there.

I wouldn't say I'm a dick. I do let people know what I think about their ideas, but I don't think I'm mean-spirited about it. If someone thinks that being critical = being a dick, they must have lived a very sheltered life.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Come on, people, give Josh a fucking break. If you disagree with his designs, argue, but cut the personal attacks out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom