Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Oblivion loved by AtomicPC

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

<a href="http://www.atomicmpc.com.au">AtomicPC</a>, which is apparently the definition of the rig you'll need to run the game, has <a href="http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/article.asp?CIID=36074">reviewed</a> the recently released <A href="http://www.elderscrolls.com">TES4: Oblivion</a>. They give it a <b>9.5/10</b> and have wonderful things like this to say:
<br>
<blockquote>That's not to say there won't be another game in the future that trounces it, but for now, you won't find a more engaging, satisfying RPG experience than Bethesda's Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion.</blockquote>
<br>
Hey, you got a little something there on your chin.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blue's News</A>

HardCode

Erudite
Sounds like they are really trying to say, "Oblivion is mediocre compared to history, but today, since it is the only mainstream 'RPG' out right now, it's the best of a one-man field."

Tintin

Arbiter
HardCode said:
Sounds like they are really trying to say, "Oblivion is mediocre compared to history, but today, since it is the only mainstream 'RPG' out right now, it's the best of a one-man field."

Yeah, of course. Although, maybe the fact that what they said right before that, conveniently missed here, was "Meet the greatest computer role-playing game ever made.", might have something to do with writing that immediately after it, but whoever says that is stoopid.

Tintin

Arbiter
Major_Blackhart said:
Tintin,what is with you constantlysupporting them as I do Troika and VD's company?

Supporting who? Bethesda?

I don't "constantly support" them, I just respond to any claims I disagree with...

...would there really be any point in me voicing any of my own dissatisfaction with Bethesda? It's not my Codex character (hey i'm roleplaying!) Wouldn't everyone be happier if I just play the "Oblivion defender" role?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Atomic PC Review said:
Put simply, Oblivion has one of the best combat systems ever devised. You don't stand there swapping blows ad nauseum with your opponent or swinging like a madman and waiting for them to die. No, in Oblivion, each fight is a unique experience.
Remember that kids.

Atomic PC Review said:
For the dedicated magic user, you'll find that opponents quickly close the distance between you and them, meaning long-range magical bombardment is out of the question, at least for the majority of combat.
So that's why they removed all the decent long-range weapons.

Atomic PC Review said:
While good on paper, the AI doesn't exactly match the hype. Indeed, NPCs will sleep and eat, and lock up shops at night, but it's unlikely you'll ever see one rob or kill another, unless you have something to do with it. Perhaps Tamriel is home to mostly honest people, but the fact that we only see a fraction of the AI's capabilities makes us wonder if it was worth the effort.
What? Radiant AI isn't all it's cracked up to be? Why, I'm shocked!

Atomic PC Review said:
The same however cannot be said of distant environment textures which suffer from horrendous LOD issue. You'll see this first when you leave the prison sewers at the start of the game - distant hills look like they're being rendered with the original Quake engine.
I've still got original Quake around here somewhere. Pity it doesn't work on XP though. Nice to see Bethesda remedying that.

Atomic PC Review said:
Even a modest PC will be able to run Oblivion - as long as you never venture outside.
Well, I guess that explains the - 0.5 off the score then.

Chefe

Erudite
DarkUnderlord said:
Atomic PC Review said:
The same however cannot be said of distant environment textures which suffer from horrendous LOD issue. You'll see this first when you leave the prison sewers at the start of the game - distant hills look like they're being rendered with the original Quake engine.
I've still got original Quake around here somewhere. Pity it doesn't work on XP though. Nice to see Bethesda remedying that.

Well, they were critisized for not using the Quake engine, or something similar, with Daggerfall... so perhaps they thought "what better time to do it than now".

Tintin

Arbiter
Well that's funny, considering there have been tons of posts at ESF about NPCs fighting with each other and such.

Zeb

Novice
Atomic, Have been leading the Beth Hype Bandwagon for over a year now, so it comes as no suprise they gave it such a high score. Still it is the best Aussie mag for overclockers and hardcore computer 'nerds' :), But it also has such a crappy website...

Twinfalls

Erudite
Tintin said:
Major_Blackhart said:
Tintin,what is with you constantlysupporting them as I do Troika and VD's company?

Tintin, what's with you constantly 'supporting' Bethesda by contributing nothing here but dumbfuck teenage-grade sarcasm towards anyone criticising Oblivion?

Let me answer for you:

Tintin: Yeah lol I sux Beth Sux you're keWl

Perishiko

Scholar
DarkUnderlord said:
Atomic PC Review said:
While good on paper, the AI doesn't exactly match the hype. Indeed, NPCs will sleep and eat, and lock up shops at night, but it's unlikely you'll ever see one rob or kill another, unless you have something to do with it. Perhaps Tamriel is home to mostly honest people, but the fact that we only see a fraction of the AI's capabilities makes us wonder if it was worth the effort.
What? Radiant AI isn't all it's cracked up to be? Why, I'm shocked!

Well, Radiant AI does exactly what they wanted it to do... Only the stupid ass fanboys made such a "big deal" out of it and hyped it to an incredible amount.

1. It makes npc's not be static robots that just sit in one spot all the time.
2. It made the little scripting needed incredibly easy...

Twinfalls

Erudite
Er, no.

Bethesda hyped the jizzum out of 'Radiant AI', continually crapping on about how NPCs kept doing unpredictable and cool things and OH WOW we didn't expect THIS to happen and oh yeah there was this one time when blah blah.

Fargoth's Gold, Fargoth's Gold......

Twinfalls

Erudite
On that topic:

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... pic=282203

I personally am a little upset that I cant see NPCs buying and selling at local vendors...I thought RAI was going to create a bustling town full of life, where people were conducting business, and there was a decent economy...but alas, this does not exist

I havent even seen more than one NPC in a shop yet (well, except for one, but that was cuz the weaponseller had an apprentice...)

Didn't they say that NPCs bought stuff? I thought I rememberd hearing that like 1000 times before the game came out...where they just lieing?...the only place I have seen NPCs in a "shop" is when they go to a bar after they close their shops...but even there I dont see them bartering or anything, just walking around having pointless converations and "drinking" or atleast what I guess is drinking, even though there isnt a being on earth that drinks like that

I'm thinking that Bethesda's description of the 'AI' in this game is complete, utter bullshit. Which would be a new low even for them.

I have a feeling the above ESF thread is going to show some stirrings of a real backlash...

ESF poster said:
Any way to edit .ini and make them do things more frequently? Not playing yet, but it sounds like I'm not seeing a marketplace full of yelling paople, selling and bying :/
Or, any place 'full of people'...

Oarfish

Prophet
RabidFanboy said:
I think the hugeness of the leap from scripted to unscripted has to be acknowledged. This is like the invention of the internet... yeah it sucks at first but it is the first step towards a new paradigm in gaming.

Holy shit, give that guy a job in PR.

Thrawn05

Scholar
Atomic PC Review said:
The same however cannot be said of distant environment textures which suffer from horrendous LOD issue.

Tell me again why speedtree is so popular with the "0MFG!!! L00K 4T TH3 4W3S0M3 GR4PH1CS!!!!" crowd?

From what I'm reading on the other forums, people are bitching about how towns and forts pop out of no where.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Oarfish said:
RabidFanboy said:
I think the hugeness of the leap from scripted to unscripted has to be acknowledged. This is like the invention of the internet... yeah it sucks at first but it is the first step towards a new paradigm in gaming.

RabidFanboy's spiel was good. Almost "Snakes on a Plane"-good!

Lumpy

Arcane
Oarfish said:
RabidFanboy said:

He does have a point though.
Damn, I preordered Oblivion, I hope I'll like it. But if even the elderscrolls.com-ers are complaining a lot, I have some doubts.

Oarfish

Prophet
He does have a point though.

Erm, what point would that be? I just choked on the hyperbole. From the sound of the forums, RAI has turned out to be nothing more than over hyped NPC scheduling. Be nice to see it work better than U7 though, as that was about the high point for believable NPC wandering about.

Damn, I preordered Oblivion, I hope I'll like it.

Ditto, I'm sure it will give me lots of guilty pleasure. Should have my bonus PC copy tonight.

Solik

Scholar
From what I saw, Lumpy, they're not. Many of those who are I've never seen post before. Also, consider that those enjoying the game are spending more time playing it than complaining about it :p

The complainers I see fall into two categories -- RPGCodex-style purists and FPS fans who don't seem to have played any TES games before. There's also quite a few idiots complaining that something isn't written in the manual (when it is) or isn't togglable (when it is).

Lumpy

Arcane
Evog, Data4, Quigs and you made me change my mind. I'll probably enjoy Oblivion.

Tintin

Arbiter
Twinfalls said:
Tintin said:
Major_Blackhart said:

Tintin, what's with you constantly 'supporting' Bethesda by contributing nothing here but dumbfuck teenage-grade sarcasm towards anyone criticising Oblivion?

Let me answer for you:

Tintin: Yeah lol I sux Beth Sux you're keWl

Anything else you want to add? Or is your orgasm of uber-wit over?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom