Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Gary Gygax interview at Eye on Troika

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Temple of Elemental Evil

<a href="http://www.eye-on-troika.net/">Eye on Troika</a> has posted an <a href="http://www.eye-on-troika.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=63&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0">interview</a> with <b>Gary Gygax</b>, which covers various aspects of his creative influence on D&D as well as the setting of Greyhawk and the <i>Temple of Elemental Evil module</i>. Here's a clip:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>EoT:</b> How do you describe the temple itself?
<br>
<br>
<b>GG:</b> The adventure is a long one that requires players to use hit & run tactics often.  After initial exploring is accomplished, and the first opponents dealt with, some assessment of information and planning is in order, likely done at a safe place in the nearby village.  This same pattern repeats throughout the module.  Based on that, the general description of the Temple is a campaign-length adventure of considerable complexity, with increasing challenges in both problem solving and opponents encountered.  As it was originally written, players could expect a high character fatality level unless considerable caution was employed and expertise exercised.  Doing the ?wrong thing? is quite possible, which can cause the adventure to be a failure in terms of its mission.  I never have heard from anyone who participated in its play, though, who faulted the work in regard to fun and excitement.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
High character fatality. Doesn't sound like a happy-go-lucky place, does it?
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>Jesse</b>!
<br>

Spazmo

Erudite
Every time I read about the ToEE original module, and someone then mentions the Against the Giants and Drow series, I feel this urge to get a group together and play through these modules. It's a shame I'm too young to have ever played them.

Rosh

Erudite
I still will not forgive Tim for ripping apart a mint original full ToEE module book.

Calis

Pensionado
Spazmo said:
I'm not letting anyone touch my Ruins of Undermountain Boxed sets. And I mean nobody.
I sold mine. Both of 'em. Forgotten Realms sucks.

*runs away giggling like a little troll*

Actually, the guy I sold 'em to made me regret it later. Ever play Mage: The Ascension? Ever hear of Paradox Realms (or whatever they're called, haven't played Mage in a while)? Guess what mine was. Yeah, my mage used to botch a lot.

Jed

Cipher
Here's an interesting bit from Tim via Eye on Troika:

Our Iron Man mode can be thought of as playing the game like a PnP game. You take the first set of rolls for your stats (no rerolls), and there are no unlimited saves. You start a new game and it will save when you exit, so when you start back up you pick up where you left off. None of this "I save before opening the door" for Iron Man!

Makes me all tingly!

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
That sounds like something I used to do for P&P. I'd make them roll their stats, then pick their class after they see what they got. Heh heh heh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom