Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Oblivion loved by Strategy Informer

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

<a href="http://www.strategyinformer.com/">Strategy Informer</a> serves up <A href="http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/theelderscrollsivoblivion/review.html">a review</a> of <A href="Http://www.elderscrolls.com">Oblivion</a> today. They rate it at a <b>9.1/10</b> and mention the system requirements, bugs, and being not much of an advancement over Morrowind as the faults. Here's a clip:
<br>
<blockquote>Why did I use the phrase 'main story-line'? Because this is a damn good RPG, and it damn good RPGs you make your own story-line. There's so much to do in the game and it's all very cool. The mage's guild for example allows its ranking members to create thier own spells and enchantments. The thieves guild is a great deal of fun, and for me added another dimension to the game because whenever I'd be doing something in town I'd always be thinking in the back of my mind 'Is there anything here worth stealing? And if so, can I get away with it?' There's even an assassin's guilds of a kind, but that's another story entirely.</blockquote>
<br>
How can you possible make your own story when the main plot is a linear chain of progression?
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.shacknews.com">Shack News</A>

Section8

Cipher
It's like making your own story in KOTOR. For instance, I bet you and I went to the planets in a different order! How different must our game experiences have been????!111!!11!!

EvoG

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
How can you possible make your own story when the main plot is a linear chain of progression?

LOL! I'm not sure if my buddy Clayton here really realises how ironic it is that he just said this. :D

Chefe

Erudite
You make your own story by the physical actions your avatar takes throughout the game. Whether he chooses magic and joins the Mages Guild, or he becomes a freelance thief, looting all of Tamriel. Do you save that man's life, or leave him to his own devices? It's these kind of meaningful choices that inhabit the gameworld, and it's these choices that builds your virtual storyline.

EvoG

Erudite
Okay, my comment may be kind of vague, and I bet Saint won't really know what I mean, so to let you all in on it.

He at one time defended that in Fallout, what made it so wonderful is that you could go anywhere and do anything and make the story "your own". I've many a time argued with him that this is just not the case. Sure you can go to town X first or Vault Y first, but the main story is still told linearly...the exact same thing he's making sound so ridiculous here. :D

Here just to make sure this is all in context:

Saint_Proverbius said:

Yet this is the same exact argument I made to HIM about Fallout! Thats the irony.

I still love you man! I mean this in the most lighthearted way, its just too funny to me that certain facts and conventions are allowed to bend, flex or even break one way or the other if it suits an agenda. If its Fallout we're talking about, its your own story, if its another game that everyone hates, its a linear progression. :D

Both are linear progressions. Fallout has the vastly superior dialog and choice, Oblivion has the sheer volume of things to do. Both stories are still ulimately told linearly regardless if you do the entire thieves guild quests first (like I did) instead of going to Chorrol, or go straight to Vault 15 instead of picking up Ian.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
EvoG said:
He at one time defended that in Fallout, what made it so wonderful is that you could go anywhere and do anything and make the story "your own". I've many a time argued with him that this is just not the case. Sure you can go to town X first or Vault Y first, but the main story is still told linearly...the exact same thing he's making sound so ridiculous here.
So I can join the bad guys in Oblivion? And I'm not forced into doing the main quest missions in sequential order at all? I can just wander around until I find the big bad guy I have to kill (presuming there is a big bad guy I have to kill. There is, isn't there?) and just kill him and I finish the game (or as I said, join him if I want to)? Like I can in Fallout?

kohla

Educated
From what I have seen you don't even, iirc, get to banish the baad daedra. :wink:
I was kinda surprised that Bethesda managed to put in an end game boss that your pc, technically, can not defeat.

EvoG

Erudite
DarkUnderlord said:
So I can join the bad guys in Oblivion? And I'm not forced into doing the main quest missions in sequential order at all? I can just wander around until I find the big bad guy I have to kill (presuming there is a big bad guy I have to kill. There is, isn't there?) and just kill him and I finish the game (or as I said, join him if I want to)? Like I can in Fallout?

Meh, the "story" is still linear in progression, regardless of being good or bad or stumbling on the main bad guy early on. You'll never have a unique experience that thousands of other people didn't have. If you want to just get to the bad guy and kill him and be done with the game, um, what was the point? Yea its cool that you can, but its contextually without merit. What is your motivation for killing the foozle and I am just dying to ask...how did you get through all the super tough baddies?

In Oblivion, how would I know to reunite two twins separated young in their lives if I didn't hear about it first? Even then, it wasn't about twins, but a guy who didn't seem to recognize anyone yet they recognized him, so I was investigating a different problem altogether. I was able to go to Kvatch on my own, and close the gate, and now everyone regards me as the "hero that randomly went to Kvatch and closed the gate", yet I was never asked to go.

The funny thing is, everyone(including myself of course) scream and yell for great stories and narrative, but when its presented linearly even in an open-world game, for some reason you guys get a bit O'amnesia and remember a Fallout that just doesn't exist. Didn't I already say that Fallout has the superior narrative and vast selection of choice? Yeeeep. Story is still linear bro...just becaue you found a way to 'break' it doesn't make it any less linear.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
EvoG said:
Meh, the "story" is still linear in progression, regardless of being good or bad or stumbling on the main bad guy early on.

Fallout is not linear at all. There is no "Go get chip, go to military base, go to cathedral, win!" in Fallout. Sure, you can do it that way, but you can do any of those three in any order or even completely ignore the whole water chip thing altogether if you want - and still win the game!

EvoG

Erudite
First off, the chip is an 'Important Main Quest" red herring. It was never meant to be important, thats just very clever way to set the player up for one of FO's many 'multiple-outcome' quests. The Master was technically the end game, and if you're playing the game fresh, you're not bolting straight to the front door of the base, you're following the story, or else how would you even know the mutants were a rising threat?

So, is it really you're "own" story? No. Is there a linear "story" told up to acquiring the chip(or not) or defeating the master(or otherwise)? Yup.

If there wasn't, the narrative wouldn't really make sense.

Technically I could argue that because of the vast number of major storylines such as the guilds, many people are having distinctly different stories leading up to what 'they' consider beating the game. Mine wil be about a master thief who jumped at chances to slay vampires...while defeating whomever and saving Tamriel.

Well whatever, not really worth getting into...just poking fun at ya, ya dork. :D

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
EvoG said:
Meh, the "story" is still linear in progression, regardless of being good or bad or stumbling on the main bad guy early on.
How is the quest in Oblivion broken up? Is it just one big "find the son" and that's all you have to do or is it step by step like it was in Morrowind? That is, a broad concept broken down into bit-size pieces where you're led by the hand and must do what you've been told?

Presuming that's the case (please correct me if I'm wrong), compare that to Fallout. In Fallout, it's just "find the waterchip". "We *think* there's one at Vault 15, go there first". Here's the kicker, you don't have to go to Vault 15 in order to be told the next magical step in the process. You're not hand fed the quest step-by-step with each successive step kept hidden from you until you find the next bit. Your goal is to find the waterchip. If you don't go to Vault 15, you can still finish the game. So how you do that quest, is entirely up to you. Unlike Oblivion (which I'm going to guess here as I haven't played it), is given to you in each individual step which you must complete in order until you're told where to go next.

Relate that back to Fallout. After going to Vault 15 and finding no chip there, the Overseer doesn't give you the next step of the quest. He just tells you to find a damn waterchip. He doesn't care where you get it from. That's up to you.

EvoG said:
You'll never have a unique experience that thousands of other people didn't have.
Why not? I can bypass the Necropolis completely, wander over to the military base or the Cathedral and join the Mutants. That's a unique experience isn't it? It's certainly not following "the linear story". I've done what I felt what was right. Fuck the Vault, let the Master rule.

EvoG said:
If you want to just get to the bad guy and kill him and be done with the game, um, what was the point? Yea its cool that you can, but its contextually without merit. What is your motivation for killing the foozle
The fat that other people in the area are being attacked by Green Mutants. The Brotherhood of Steel for one, the Hub caravans for another. Better yet, you can do it because you just don't like big green Mutants.

Your motivation can be entirely your own. If you see no point in that, then you obviously prefer to be told what to do. That's fine. There's nothing wrong with being a spineless weener.

EvoG said:
I am just dying to ask...how did you get through all the super tough baddies?
Erm.. by killing them like normal? If you want you can do a few hundred random encounters and level up or you can spend some time in the Hub and various other places doing quests to gain XP.

You can also run away from them if you want to play a complete pacifist. It's been done.

EvoG said:
In Oblivion, how would I know to reunite two twins separated young in their lives if I didn't hear about it first?
No-one's saying there should be no story. What we're saying is you shouldn't be led around by the hand (again, presuming you are. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this) and more to the point you should be able to join the bad guys. Even if all you get is a nice end-game movie of things going to hell.

EvoG said:
First off, the chip is an 'Important Main Quest" red herring. It was never meant to be important, thats just very clever way to set the player up for one of FO's many 'multiple-outcome' quests. The Master was technically the end game, and if you're playing the game fresh, you're not bolting straight to the front door of the base, you're following the story, or else how would you even know the mutants were a rising threat?
Gee, I dunno. It's not like you meet their invading army in the Necropolis or anything. Or if you don't meet them there, you'll certainly hear about them when you join the Brotherhood of Steel. Or if you skip those bits, from talking to Harold. Or if you miss that, the caravan problem in the Hub.

It's not linear when there are several feeds into them as a clear threat from many other characters. None of which you have to talk to in order. And all of whom which you can kill (there's no "he's unconscious" crap in this game buddy)!

EvoG said:
So, is it really you're "own" story? No. Is there a linear "story" told up to acquiring the chip(or not) or defeating the master(or otherwise)? Yup.
I'm interested in what this linear progression in Fallout is. I'm sent out from Vault 13, what sequential order do things happen in from there? Am I forced to talk to certain people to get the information I need in a pre-determined sequential order? IE: Do I have to talk to Bob before I can ask Bill about the Mutant threat or can I just skip Bob and go straight to Bill?

Fallout was non-linear in that you could stumble across the end-game in a number of different ways. Even if you wanted to be led around, there is never anyone who tells you where to go from A to B. The Overseer is useless with his "Found the Waterchip yet?" and no-one else you ask knows anything about a Water Chip. There's no-one in Shady Sands who tells you "You must go to the Hub" and then someone in the Hub who says "You must go to the Necropolis". Sure, there are people that point those places out on your map (if you don't want to wander around on your own and find them) but there's never a definitive, set order. Throw in the multiple ways to finish quests and the option to join the bad guys and there you go. I'll admit it's limited in that if you ignore your Vault, the game ends but that's a lot less of a limitation than a lot of other games and certainly nothing's provided as much real "choice and conequence" since.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
EvoG said:

First off, the mutants rising thing is presented as part of a good chunk of the side quests splattered throughout the game such as the first deathclaw you encounter as part of the missing caravan quest. There's a dying mutant in that cave that starts talking about it. There's also all the information about the Children of the Cathedral and so forth.

This is why you're an idiot, Steve. It's most certainly not linear, because the story is told through the side quests. You can go to any town you wish via the caravans, pick up bits and pieces of the mutant story throughout doing what appear to be side quests through the course of your travels, and then it's up to you which mutant area you tackle in what order.

In fact, my first time through, I was convinced that since there was a vault in the Cathedral at LA, that's where the waterchip was. Instead, the Master is there. I killed him expecting a waterchip out the situation and never got it. I then travelled back to Necropolis, because I figured that the ghoul/mutant thing there might lead to more information on where to go. Exploring around, I got the waterchip and returned it. From there, I did a few things which lead me to the military base and that's how I won the game. There's nothing linear about that.

EvoG

Erudite
Okay I give! :D

Its not like I'm gonna fight you guys on this, as even I believe that FO is the superior game.

I will ask though that you separate hindsight from design. I mean I distinctly recall finding litte proddings on where to go next, so in fact a story was told that led me back to the Overseer and ultimately to the Master. On your very first play through, knowing nothing of anything, aren't the odds that we all played the game more or less the same way? Even in the strategy guide there's an outline of the "proposed" progression of the player over the map, so there 'was' an outling of a linear revealing of events, despite being able to poke through each junction in a variety of different ways.

Oh, and since you asked, no so far Oblivion is a "do this next" system. Since I've only just now done the first step in the main storyline, I'll wait to see what happens but I can already tell you that the odds are good it will continue to lead the player.

Nevertheless, I still stand by that the story in Fallout isn't truly your own, which was my point in the first place. Lets just say you can make the story one of several ways your own. I'm talking about a person playing the game for the first time, not someone who's played it a dozen times and knows all the little in's and out's and the 'events' in advance. The odds of you doing something that NO ONE has done is pretty slim, and I don't count going to see Bob first rather than Bill a big difference in your "story".

But yes I 'get it'. I know what you meant Clayton, but I just thought calling it your "own story" was overselling it a bit, thats all. :D

Cheers

EvoG

Erudite
Well no you do, hehe. :D

But thats cool, I didn't know about that list. I think personally, in this context, it would be rude to use someones name without being formally introduced. Talking to someone and knowing someone are two different things.

4too

Arcane
The Ties That Bind

The Ties That Bind

Vault Dweller:
Don't need to be a part of any crowd. ...

List of 'Made Men'.

[Lights dim, sounds lose coherence]

If , ... can't recall that city that mirrored 'The Hub', in FO2, ... NNNN - Knew it .. forgot

.... got this sinus head ache .... psycho-semantic work avoidance ... tttt-tax returns ...

... does the cross roads of sub quests ... provide a plot pivot point ...

... a potential ''fixed'' roulette wheel that the PC can spin in the warm and fuzzy ...

... cocoon of Deus Ex Amnesia ... Deus Ex Amnesia ...

... graphs the plot lines, the tree branching charted flow, into a circuit schematic.

Half a watt in here must come out there, and the science, the story. is in following the flow
... simple logic relay contact-ors
... electron tube amplifiers ... the basic pulse, lead and lag of current through
resistance, inductance, capacitance ....

[House lights glow, grow in luminance, sign blinks, says: 4too is home.]

,,,, and there is a case for non linear plot progression, if a cross roads provides a market place of opinions.

What and how many story telling nexus are nested in Oblivion?

How well can it dangle on a single thread?

From all the acclaim it appears well hung enough to do what it does.
Sum of it's private and public parts, more than a pretty face.

4too

EvoG

Erudite
^That was kind of my point, and why I can appreciate Saints 'illusion' of 'ones own story', even though it technically really isn't.

As for Oblivion...the stories are completely self contained, with no connection to eachother, so unfortunately it is terribly linear in that regard. As you said, the story is told well enough to still be fun, but no, it isn't "non-linear", just free-form.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Compared to Daggerfall, which at least had alternate paths through the MQ, which let you make a decision as to which of the various scheming parties' offers to you would suit you the most.....

quest.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom