Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Oblivion PURFEKT per Foo Gaming

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

<A href="http://www.foogaming.com">Foo Gaming</a> gives <a href="http://www.elderscrolls.com">Oblivion</a> a perfect <b>5/5 stars</b> with <A href="http://foogaming.com/articles/reviews/the-elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion/">their review</a> of the game. They do have a paragraph devoted to the downside of the game, where they mention the consolitis thing, but I decided to mention this instead:
<br>
<blockquote>Since sound is physics-based, the world of Oblivion is more immersive. Drag a sword across concrete and it’ll make the appropriate sound. Drag it across the dirt ground, and it’ll have a different sound.</blockquote>
<br>
While a neat touch, I just find that first sentence funny. Physics based sound, people!
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.shacknews.com">Shack News</A>

Chefe

Erudite
It means the sound is tied into the physics, so when a sword drops you hear the proper audio output.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I think we understand what it means, but the term "physics-based" just makes no sense in that context.

Sounds like a nice catch phrase though. In 2 years time all games will have "physics-based sound!" in their feature list.

crakkie

Arcane
That's material-based. Physics based makes no sense, unless the sounds were generated from a model of how metal sounds when banged against rocks. They're not.

HardCode

Erudite
They forgot to add this line in that physics-sound statement:

"And the BEST thing about it is that the sound you make in the game HAS NO IMPACT ON ANYTHING!!! 1337!!!! OMFGRORLFLBBQ!!! U cna killz da golbins one @ a time and da othurz won't here ur soundz!"

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Chefe said:
It means the sound is tied into the physics, so when a sword drops you hear the proper audio output.

Yeah, that has nothing to do with physics. That's just the game's surface materials having a different sound attached to them. It's also not that big a deal since lots and lots of games do that. Hell, even Arcanum did that.

You want to impress me, since the game knows what wood is as a material, let me set it on fire. Or cloth. Let me kick in doors and let them splinter. Let me chip out bricks. Better yet, let's do something no game has done with a fantasy setting that I know about, let me transmute materials like rock in to mud so I can bring down a wall here and there.

franc kaos

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
You want to impress me, since the game knows what wood is as a material, let me set it on fire. Or cloth. Let me kick in doors and let them splinter. Let me chip out bricks. Better yet, let's do something no game has done with a fantasy setting that I know about, let me transmute materials like rock in to mud so I can bring down a wall here and there.
My God! Arena had deformable scenery!!! (Passwall) - and I can't believe they still won't let fighters bash in doors: Mage - unlock spell, thief - picklock, big brawny fighter with blunted axe of skull bashing +1 - key...

Chefe

Erudite
Look, guys...

*Chefe displays a dazzling array of facts, figures, and scientific information that would boggle even the most intelligent of minds. He carefully explains how the phrase "physics-based sound" is quite an accurate and honest representation. The entire forum is astounded, and nods in silence as they accept the impeccable and reasonable account that was just provided for them, making perfect sense. Chefe joyfully laughs, as he is once again undisputed.*

Saint_Proverbius said:

Gosh, you can never be satisfied can you? What's next, emergent gameplay?

Spazmo

Erudite
Well, if they shifted the frequencies of all the sounds when you're underwater or immersed in a vat of Jell-o, that'd be physics based sound. Otherwise, it's just plain old sound, really.

Zomg

Arbiter
With the "Purfekt" thing, I was thinking foo gaming was a furry site going into this, and the review was going to be about the cat fur textures.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom