Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption Enters Beta; Full Release in Summer 2018

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption; Transolar Games

The latest Kickstarter update from Corey and Lily Cole announces the beta release for Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption. Eligible backers can expect to play it as soon as they receive an email from BackerKit.

The time has come! Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption is completely playable and ready to enter Beta testing. Alpha testing was challenging, but wonderful - we have never previously had the time and opportunity to find and fix the rough spots in the game. Beta testing will help us add the final polish that will make Hero-U a great game.​

And there's more:

What does this mean for the release date? Most likely that will happen 6-8 weeks from now, which puts it in June 2018. That will give us time to fix problems found in Beta, finish the opening cinematic, reach out to reviewers and influencers, and do final polish on the game.​

Hero-U has been in development for quite some time now. If you need a refresher, check out the game's website.

Quantomas

Savant
You have got to admire the spirited effort by Corey and Lori Cole over all these years while funding was tight.

Hope the game is as good as they make it to be. The potential is definitely there and their focus is most likely on lots of writing for the many paths you can take. And yet, what will matter most, is how good they were at balancing the different aspects of the game.

Max Edge

I wondered how they gathered 409,150....And now I see a date. Ah, magical 2012, when everything could be funded on Kickstarter.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I wanted to check more of the game since the last thing I remember was the change in the art direction a couple of years ago, but couldn’t find a lot of screens... anybody have any pointers?
Btw I truly hope this game does well, the Coles deserve it

daev3000

Novice
I wondered how they gathered 409,150....And now I see a date. Ah, magical 2012, when everything could be funded on Kickstarter.
Just imagine how much money they would have raised if they'd actually pitched the game they ended up making.

lophiaspis

Arbiter
Just imagine how much money they would have raised if they'd actually pitched the game they ended up making.

And imagine if instead of messing around with unproven engines and random scammy developers they had simply hired Infamous Quests or Crystal Shard to help them make the game in Adventure Game Studio. We would be on the third or fourth sequel by now.

DeepOcean

Arcane

In Tim Schafer way?
Well, Tim Schaefer promised a Lucas Arts game and ended doing a hipster game for his daughter, I don't think the situations would be similar.

DeepOcean

Arcane

And imagine if instead of messing around with unproven engines and random scammy developers they had simply hired Infamous Quests or Crystal Shard to help them make the game in Adventure Game Studio. We would be on the third or fourth sequel by now.
Yep, and the game would look much better too, jesus, you don't need 400.000 dollars to find a decent art style.

V_K

Arcane

Yep, and the game would look much better too, jesus, you don't need 400.000 dollars to find a decent art style.
Umm, if memory serves, at the time of their kickstarter, neither HQ, nor QfI were released yet. So at that point, reputation-wise, the random dev they were working with was just as reasonable a choice as CS or IQ.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Umm, if memory serves, at the time of their kickstarter, neither HQ, nor QfI were released yet. So at that point, reputation-wise, the random dev they were working with was just as reasonable a choice as CS or IQ.
I advise you to play all the awesome fan remakes of old Sierra titles made by Himalaya Studios that are now working on Mage's Initiation and the remake of Space Quest 2 by Infamous Quests, Heroine Quest and Quest for Infamy are far from being the only excellent or oldest AGS fan made games, play a Tale of Two Kingdoms by Crystal Shard, their previous game, all those fan games are actually of a better quality than the older Sierra games.

The problem with the Coles is that they were completely cut off from the adventure gaming scene from the last decades, those remakes are well known by anyone that truly likes adventure games and they were the kind of standard many felt the Coles would achieve. I won't blame them too much, I myself did ridiculously bad business decisions too, inexperience let you open to the temptation of impulsive decisions of acting before doing a through research and preparation, especially when you are responsible for the money of other people.

V_K

Arcane
I advise you to play all the awesome fan remakes of old Sierra titles made by Himalaya Studios that are now working on Mage's Initiation and the remake of Space Quest 2 by Infamous Quests, Heroine Quest and Quest for Infamy are far from being the only excellent or oldest AGS fan made games, play a Tale of Two Kingdoms by Crystal Shard, their previous game, all those fan games are actually of a better quality than the older Sierra games.
Well, Brawsome also had a few well-received games under their belt at the time, and unlike fan projects they were commercially released.
Another thing that might have been a consideration is tha the only RPG-like project done in AGC at that point was QfG 4.5 - and if Coles played that mess, I can certainly see them not wanting to go with AGS just because of that.
those remakes are well known by anyone who likes adventure games so much as to spend a ton of time on niche forums
Fixed your "no true scotsman". No need to thank me.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Well, Brawsome also had a few well-received games under their belt at the time, and unlike fan projects they were commercially released.
Who?
those remakes are well known by anyone who likes adventure games so much as to spend a ton of time on niche forums
To me, www.google.com, then "quest for glory 2 remake" worked well. You should try it. No need to overcomplicate things.

V_K

Arcane

DeepOcean

Arcane
To me, www.google.com, then "quest for glory 2 remake" worked well. You should try it. No need to overcomplicate things.
And how did you know there even was a remake in the first place, if not through forum lurking?
You failed your KKK credentials check, there was a remake for the first Quest for Glory EGA game made by Sierra in VGA, I just wanted to know if there was another like that for Quest for Glory 2 and there was the glorious fan remake of Quest for Glory 2 that has save games compatible with the original Quest for Glory 1 VGA and Quest for Glory 3, I don't frequent AGS forums and rarely lurked on the codex by that time.

Curratum

Just watched what claims to be "beta" footage on youtube. It was literally the free demo they have had up for months and months and it all still looks as hideous as it used to and is animated just as horribly.

I can't believe those same people made Quest for Glory 1 which happens to be one of my favorite games of all time. :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom