Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Titan Quest devairy #6 at GameSpot

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Titan Quest

There's a <A href="http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/titanquest/news.html?sid=6147302">dev diary</a> on <A href="http://www.gamespot.com/">GameSpot</a> talking about how they're going to impliment story touches and the setting in <A href="http://www.titanquest.com">Titan Quest</a>. It's another action CRPG, but has a bronze age theme for those who don't know. Anyway, story tellers:
<br>
<blockquote>Side quests aren't the only things we put in the world. We wrote plenty of people who just want to talk--about life as a farmer, as a scribe, about the monster plague that has cast a shadow over all the land and their doubts and their fears for the future. A philosopher in Athens will talk to you about Greek philosophy, and his thoughts on the monster threat. A seasoned trader on the Silk Road talks about the trade, the lands he's seen and the hardships he's faced. Everyone you can talk to has a lot to say. You can talk to them again and again to hear them explain, complain, or spin one more theory.</blockquote>
<br>
That's a nice touch, though it could complicate things for people just fishing for quests.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.shacknews.com">Shack News</A>

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Yeah, I've posted about it a few times but who would listen? :)

For some strange reasons it looks damn funny, though...

Whipporowill

Erudite
Elwro said:
BTW, it may be old but here's Jeff Noon's "Favourite fluid fiction" list.

Yay, lets derail this suckah! I've only read House of Leaves on his list, and that was certainly something. Any takes on the others? I wonder if Noon will ever decide to release anything again, I'm getting the jitters and will probably reread Falling out of Cars in the near future. When I'm done with Black Hole, The Year of our War and bunch of other books.

Elwro

Arcane
Whipporowill said:
I've only read House of Leaves on his list, and that was certainly something.
Damn right. All other things aside, for me it was genuinely scary. I think it might be the scariest book I've ever read.
His Wiki page says that a new book of his is coming up, which is nice, and also lists some short stories... Did you read them?
Any takes on the others?
I've only read Goedel, Escher, Bach and it's a fabulous book. Brilliance oozes from every page of it. But I'm seriously into music & logic and the book was still demanding; I won't say I "understand" it. It's one of those books you open once in a while, read a few random pages and feel smarter & happier afterwards :D

I've recently read a fun fast-paced cyberpunk short story by one Paul Di Filippo. Any recommendations?
I wonder if Noon will ever decide to release anything again.
Noon's old update: Basically, I’ve set aside some time from writing novels, to try and get established as a scriptwriter.

:-(

Mappalujo is finished, I think, but I don't understand it and don't have fun from reading it yet. I think I have to read more Borges now.
(After finishing "Bleak House" by Dickens.)

When I'm done with Black Hole, The Year of our War.
Can you say something about those books? I don't think I heard about them or maybe the titles were lost in translation.

Old Scratch

Liturgist
Elwro said:
Whipporowill said:
Damn right. All other things aside, for me it was genuinely scary. I think it might be the scariest book I've ever read.

To continue drivin this mother off-topic:

I struggled to get through that book. I got about a 3/4 of the way, realized...one of the authors--the younger tatoo guy was either an annoying SOB or fucking insane and imagining most of the escapades he mentioned. Every footnote started turning into him banging another random chick. Reading a fiction book, about a fictional account, of a fictional account, of a fictional account is interesting and certainly a unique approach, but turned out to be ultimately boring. Was I off base? Does the ending hold some twists other than finding out the whole thing was made up by at least one of the narrators?

Whipporowill

Erudite
Elwro said:
Whipporowill said:
Damn right. All other things aside, for me it was genuinely scary. I think it might be the scariest book I've ever read.quote]

Amen.

Elwro said:
His Wiki page says that a new book of his is coming up, which is nice, and also lists some short stories... Did you read them?

The whalestone letters are just the "author" of HoL and his insane mothers letters bound in a little pamphlet. I don't really know why it's released in that form. I'm not sure I would be able to get into a book by Danielewski again, as HoL is such a special piece of work and basically everything following that up, has to be a letdown in some way. Please feel free to "correct" me.

Noon's old update: Basically, I’ve set aside some time from writing novels, to try and get established as a scriptwriter?

That just makes me cry. If there's ever an adaptation of one of his scripts, it'll end up mangled and washed out anyway... so it's not like we've got anything to look forward to, however (un)successful he might turn out.

Mappalujo is finished, I think, but I don't understand it and don't have fun from reading it yet.

Have you read Cobralingus? It's pretty much the same, unreadable but brilliant.

When I'm done with Black Hole, The Year of our War.
Can you say something about those books? I don't think I heard about them or maybe the titles were lost in translation.[/quote]

Black Hole - Charles Burns. Black/White comic book about angsty teenagers in 70's Seattle. Very nice thick

the Year of Our War - Psychadelic Fantasy. A cross between Starship Troopers, Jeff Noon and... high fantasy. Maybe not a totally correct description, but you'll understand the comparison if/when you read it.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Old Scratch said:
To continue drivin this mother off-topic:

It's basically a mindfuck of the highest order. Like being hit with a brick in the head and realizing it's brilliant - or not being able to stand it. It's not an easy read, or one that's easy to compare to any other books. More of an experience than a good read.

Elwro

Arcane
@Old Scratch: The main thing that kept me reading HoL was that I really wanted to know more about what happened in the movie, be it fictional or not. And I was satisfied in the end.

@Whip: Thx, I'll read Cobralingus, but I'll perhaps have to resort to ordering it from abroad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom