Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Space Rangers 2 gets some love at GameSpot

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Space Rangers 2: Dominators

<a href="http://www.gamespot.com/">GameSpot</a> offers up <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/spacerangers2dominators/review.html?sid=6147698">a review</a> of <a href="http://www.spacerangers2.com/">Space Rangers 2: The Dominators</a>. They score it at a <b>8.1/10</b> and don't really say a hell of a lot other than a feature summary. Anyway, here's an example:
<br>
<blockquote>The galaxy of Space Rangers 2 is a dynamic one, as hundreds of ships travel between the dozens of planetary systems conducting trade, warfare, and more. More importantly, everything you do affects your reputation with the various factions in the game, and so doing a favor for one side might mean hacking off another, which may result in finding a bunch of battleships on your tail or having to bribe your way back into a planet's good graces. Combat in the game is surprisingly deep, but also fast-paced. Space Rangers 2 is a turn-based game, but it feels like real time. That's because it uses a simultaneous resolution phase, which means that everyone plots out moves for the turn, and then all the moves are resolved simultaneously.</blockquote>
<br>
So, phase based combat? Nifty. Too bad the reviewer doesn't talk any more about it than this!
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.shacknews.com">Shack News</A>

[Jez]

Novice
I dont care how good it is, its a starforce carrer so I'm staying the hell away from it... that malware crap has already buggered my dvd writer :(

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
It's pretty easy to bypass Starforce with Space Rangers 2, as it doesn't install during installation but only when you first run the game. So simply get Reloaded's no .exe crack (it's on MegaGames) and run that instead of the game, but make sure you apply the crack FIRST otherwise SF will install.

You shouldn't miss out on this great game just because of shitty copy protection.

[Jez]

Novice
Really? I'll pick it up then, thanks Naked_Lunch

Role-Player: Play.com has it for a tenner with deliverey included

headache

Novice
Unfamiliar with the website, I had a little trouble finding that no-cd patch. So, it's here:

Cool to post, right? It's merely a no-cd and I just bought the game myself. (That's why I needed it.)

Um, does anybody know if this game works on Windows 98SE? Anyway, I guess I'm about to find out...

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
[Jez] said:
Role-Player: Play.com has it for a tenner with deliverey included

Thanks for the link but I can't make much use of that site. It does not list my country as one of the possible countries for registration purposes. And it forces me to give out a credit card number, when I don't have a regular credit card that I can list there.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Um, does anybody know if this game works on Windows 98SE? Anyway, I guess I'm about to find out...
I don't see why it wouldn't. And talk about no-cd patches is fine, as long as you legally own the game. Straight-up piracy is a no-no.

Balor

Arcane
Straight-up piracy is a no-no.
Stright up piracy is also ok, provided that game in question is crap you would never buy anyway.

But if you liked it, it's kinda logical you should buy it - after all, it rewards the developers of the game you liked, and, in the long run, rewards you as well - with more games like that.

Buying Oblivion, for instance, is silly. I'd buy an expansion with wastly upgraded CS (based on player input) in a heartbeat, tho. Even for 20-30$ or something.

headache

Novice
Naked_Lunch said:
I don't see why it wouldn't.

It didn't work for me, but I have a ancient system (1Mhz Pentium III, for instance). I had a myraid of problems, don't ask-- it finally installed but it won't run. Maybe it was the nocd patch..

Anyway, now I have a motivation for setting up a new(er) system. Well, 2 motivations: playing this game, and I ended up with mean, bad, scary ol' Starforce on the old one. :shock: (Ah'm a-scared! Scariness!)

So can anyone suggest a cheap, decent 3D graphics card for a, I think, 2Mhz P IV Dell office computer (w/ WinXP). Anything current would be an improvement.

BTW, longtime lurker-- v.rare poster. Thanks for the help here and, you know, for all the laughter and the tears.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I'm using a Radeon 9600 Pro, it serves me fine and it's cheap now, I think. ($75?) I can't run some newest games since my chip has 1400 Mhz, but e.g. Fear looks and plays very nice on that card. I'm not a graphics whore, though.

headache

Novice
Thanks, you gave me the frame of reference that I needed for encouragement, as I've been out of the market for so long. I just bought an X800 online (NewEgg) in the same price range counting a rebate.

I am certainly no graphics whore either, but I want some flexibilty if something piques my interest. Maybe GalCiv2 now, or Sims 2. But it wouldn't surprise me if I just end up going on another ADOM bender soon and wonder why I bothered. :wink:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom