Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Some Witcher hype

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: CD Projekt; Tom Ohle; Witcher, The

Tom Ohle was kind enough to let me know that The Witcher will be featured at Into the Pixel Art Exhibition during E3, and that, apparently, is like totally awesome. PR guys are definitely the most easily amused category of human beings. Anyway, here is some mandatory hype:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Scheduled for release in Spring 2007, The Witcher® transports players to a unique fantasy world in the role of legendary monster-slayer Geralt of Rivia. The game blends a classic role-playing experience — with extensive character and story development — and unprecedented real-time combat that is both stunning and tactical. Based in the world created by celebrated author Andrzej Sapkowski, The Witcher® is poised to reinvigorate the role-playing genre with a fresh approach to traditional PC role-playing games.</blockquote>Tell me, Tom, do you really think that talking like a normal person in those press-releases would never work? I mean, in a "breath of fresh air", poised to reinvigorate the PR genre, way?
<br>
<br>

Taoreich

Liturgist
Having seen the press clippings for the Witcher fro some time now, I can say that I've been relatively interested. However, the fact that it has another year to go in development lends itself to being way too over-hyped at launch to deliver on its PR effectively or to appearing extremely dated upon release.

Yan8

Novice
Hi from newbie:)

To be honest, in my opinion is hard to say that the witcher is or will be "overhyped" after reading 2/3 news daily about some games (Oblivion) number of witcher news is still relativly small. Moreover it is around "the witcher week" - usually there is not that much materials - which is sad for me, because I look carefully for whatever appear :shock:

BTW: Regarding new materials, I'm not sure if you saw the latest movie (I couldn't find an information about it here)

http://www.thewitcher.com/files/trailer ... pl_big.zip

Gives some background for those who had no chance to read Sapkowski.

Cheers from the TW Polish fans!:)

Yan

Vandal

Novice
Hah, that's rich. Well, I certainly could write a press release like "So this game got into this art exhibit. It'll be a pretty cool game, I think." but I don't know how many people would approve that. I could say "Forever redefining the role-playing genre with groundbreaking visuals and earth-shattering character development...." but alas, I try to be a little less boastful. It's a happy medium, I think.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Do you think what you say actually gets people excited? Or do you just figure it does?

I always wondered.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Seriously, Tom - Vault Dweller's got a point. People's eyes glaze over when reading that type of language. 'unprecedented', 'reinvigorating' have that marketing-speak cast to them which is now equated with bureaucratic-speak. And the phrase 'stunning but tactical' doesn't help either.

A more conversational type of language might catch and hold people's attention better, especially if delivers some actual information about how the game functions.

Balor

Arcane
@ Vandal
Heh, question is, that 'breath of fresh air' smells like:
1. Oblivion (super-puper combat and graphics).
2. Fart.

At least to most people here :). Yea, I admit that I like a good action/RPG from time to time, and I'm looking forward to play Withcher (read it in Russian translation, liked it, minus the romance part)... but your redifinition sounds very much like just continuations of current trends.
Well, we'll see, I guess.

Vandal

Novice
Twinfalls said:
Seriously, Tom - Vault Dweller's got a point. People's eyes glaze over when reading that type of language. 'unprecedented', 'reinvigorating' have that marketing-speak cast to them which is now equated with bureaucratic-speak. And the phrase 'stunning but tactical' doesn't help either.
A more conversational type of language might catch and hold people's attention better, especially if delivers some actual information about how the game functions.

Trust me, I'm not denying the fact that press releases and their ilk (fact sheets, media advisories, etc.) use a lot of phrases you'd never use in regular discussion... traditionally, a press release, though, is meant to excite the editor/journalist it's being sent to. It's then up to that editor to decide if they're interested enough to write a story about it, at which point they can chew through the PR-speak and spit out a more conversational piece. Generally, if I was to write a press release in a conversational tone, I'd get it back with dozens of edits to remove that tone; it's just standard practice.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Standard practices should always be broken.

It's fun and makes for good television.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Vandal said:
Hah, that's rich. Well, I certainly could write a press release like "So this game got into this art exhibit. It'll be a pretty cool game, I think." but I don't know how many people would approve that.
On the other hand, how many people would approve, be interested in, or even consider a typical PR stuff as something informative? Do you really think that some poor fucker somewhere goes "OMG! Not only the real time combat is unprecedented, but it also stunning AND tactical!!!" and adds The Witcher to his "must buy" list? The gaming PR industry seems like some kinda retarded boasting competition where contestants tell truly outrageous tales to charm the pants off (well, 50 bucks, actually) some yokels.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Fair enough, Tom. If it's just for editors, then well, whatever works I guess. Anyway, best of luck with the actual game, I do hope it turns out well.

bryce777

Erudite
Vandal said:
Hah, that's rich. Well, I certainly could write a press release like "So this game got into this art exhibit. It'll be a pretty cool game, I think." but I don't know how many people would approve that. I could say "Forever redefining the role-playing genre with groundbreaking visuals and earth-shattering character development...." but alas, I try to be a little less boastful. It's a happy medium, I think.

Once you've done the groundbreaking, the earthshattering comes easy.

bryce777

Erudite
I'm writing my release for my game right now, though the tenative release date is 2010.

Oye, oye, oye. To all whom might be concerned. The genre known as RPG is destroyed. Obliterated and remade in the flesh of our creator, embodying the ultimate roleplaying experience attainable.

This is not merely a game that takes no prisoners; this game takes prisoners to secret, illegal prisons in neighboring neutral countries, flushes their most sacred religious relics down the toilet, keeps them from getting any sleep, and attaches electrodes to their genitals while they are tied upside down do crucifixes. This is a game that strides like some kind of twisted protonordic god of war amongst its competitors and decapitates them while laughing its harsh and cruel laugh. That's the kind of game it is, motherfucker! Play it. If you dare.

Balor

Arcane
Hmm, talking about continuation of trends with making actiony combat... not much in mold-breaking department... unless they do it REALLY GOOD, cause every other game I've played was mindless clickfest.

Balor

Arcane
bryce777 said:
I'm writing my release for my game right now, though the tenative release date is 2010.

Oye, oye, oye. To all whom might be concerned. The genre known as RPG is destroyed. Obliterated and remade in the flesh of our creator, embodying the ultimate roleplaying experience attainable.

This is not merely a game that takes no prisoners; this game takes prisoners to secret, illegal prisons in neighboring neutral countries, flushes their most sacred religious relics down the toilet, keeps them from getting any sleep, and attaches electrodes to their genitals while they are tied upside down do crucifixes. This is a game that strides like some kind of twisted protonordic god of war amongst its competitors and decapitates them while laughing its harsh and cruel laugh. That's the kind of game it is, motherfucker! Play it. If you dare.

Hey! That was a great PR piece, no doubt. I'm excited, indeed :).
Vandal, watch and learn :).

bryce777

Erudite
Balor said:
bryce777 said:

Hey! That was a great PR piece, no doubt. I'm excited, indeed :).
Vandal, watch and learn :).

At least it's original, eh? Actually, I look forward to releasing it. I will at least release a demo or beta here first, and I will keep that kind of style to it. Then later on I will sell out and put in some goddam horsearmor or something, no doubt.

Yan8

Novice
PR language is PR language but I prefer to talk about the facts. Maybe I'm not too objective (love Sapkowski and wait for the game) but in my opinion, TW might be a "fresh air";) in the genre. Thats why:

- original background taken from good books, not written/created by bunch of game designers, thinking that next "one who needs to save the world" story is the only choice for a good story - how many RPGs like that you played? I, a few dozens (ok, maybe just dozen;)

and devs also have some good points:
- thay are desperates:) to make a good RPG, because it is their be or not to be on the dev market and they also afraid of the fans anger;) (in Poland game has already maaany fans, comments on the official sites goes to hundreats)
- they stress in interviews that they have their own vision and don't want to publisher to interfere too much. It is good that in the world ruled by money, they have their own in the pocket and thanks to that they are independent. If somebody treat TW as for example TOEE it would mean killing all the atmosphere.

the biggest problem is their lack of experience in making such a games, but here the believe is so strong that everyone thinks that everything will have a very good end:)

Yan

Balor

Arcane
PST is an example of story that makes most books seem pale in comparison. Yet, if talking about 'average RPG'... well, 'average RPG' is usually rather shitty if you compare it to PST anyway.
Talking about playing PST leaving you spoiled, cause it's a pinnacle of an RPG.
Well, Fallout comes close behind, but I guess it's a better game, but a bit worse RPG when it comes to story and interaction, though.

bryce777

Erudite
as games they both have issues. I forgot how annoying some of the quirks in fallout are.

The out of place unbelievably hard compared to anything else in the game deathclaws.

The annoying uselessness of party members who wont use gear you give them, and charge you money to get gear back, and who love to stand in doorways so much sometimes you just have to reload, and it is so bad it makes exploring (as in walking around) frustrating and unfun.

The creatures who stand still as they explode into blood after attacking them from right next to each other.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Vandal said:
Generally, if I was to write a press release in a conversational tone, I'd get it back with dozens of edits to remove that tone; it's just standard practice.
But you are the independent guy now, aren't you? Besides, if some editor/publisher sends your press-release back, tell them "Who the FUCK do you think you are dealing with? I'm Tom FUCKING Ohle, the one-man hyping machine that made everyone thinks that Baldur's Gate actually revolutionized something and started the RPG renaissance all by my FUCKING self. Now, BITCH, would you take my FUCKING press-release, written as I FUCKING see it or what?!"

Try it sometimes,Tom. It's all about confidence. :wink:

Vandal

Novice
Vault Dweller said:
On the other hand, how many people would approve, be interested in, or even consider a typical PR stuff as something informative? Do you really think that some poor fucker somewhere goes "OMG! Not only the real time combat is unprecedented, but it also stunning AND tactical!!!" and adds The Witcher to his "must buy" list? The gaming PR industry seems like some kinda retarded boasting competition where contestants tell truly outrageous tales to charm the pants off (well, 50 bucks, actually) some yokels.
That's not the point of PR, though... it's my job to write those press releases in a manner that explains the game's strengths, so that the editor who receives the release goes, "hmm, I'd like to learn more." It's then the editor's job to tell the reader whether the game is actually worth getting. I trust gamers to do some research on the game they're thinking of buying; I can pretty much guarantee that nobody buys games based on a press release. They buy it based on previews, reviews, interviews, videos, screenshots, etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom