Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Solasta Kickstarter Update #2: An Introduction to the World of Solasta

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Solasta: Crown of the Magister; Tactical Adventures

The Kickstarter campaign for Solasta: Crown of the Magister has been running for two days now and has raised over €55k. Tactical Adventures' first major Kickstarter update is an introduction to the world of Solasta, following up on the previously released lore trailer. It's your usual high fantasy setup - ancient elven empire, dark portal from another dimension, magical cataclysm - but with the somewhat unique twist that the human refugees who came through the portal brought their gods (and divine magic) along with them. I quote:

Solasta is an old world.

From the mists of history, three races arose: Halflings, Dwarves, and Elves. At the height of the Elven wars, the creation of the Arcaneum, an institution dedicated to magic, marked the birth of the Manacalon Empire, and the beginning of the elves' supremacy over Solasta. The path of empire led to a separation: while the self-named “high elves” sought dominion over the whole world, the ancestors of today’s sylvan elves withdrew to the forests of the east and devoted themselves to living in harmony with nature and resisting the ambitions of their imperialist cousins.

The Empire grew slowly but steadily, spreading out from the elven homelands of the Aer-Elai and conquering the lands that would become known as the Inner Provinces. Few could resist the power of elven magic – but then, the expansion faltered.

The lands of the snow dwarves were harsh, buttressed by cold and high mountains. Strengthened by the neighboring sylvan elves, the Snow Alliance fought the Imperial armies to a standstill, despite their magic.

In response, the Manacalon Empire looked to expand in other directions, relying in its control of the plains to protect it against attacks from the north. Further territories were conquered in the south, east, and west, adding the Outer Provinces to the Empire and swelling the population of non-elven slaves who toiled to create its glory. Between the brute force of the Empire’s Iron Legions, the magical might of the Arcaneum, and the cunning of the secret service known as the Silent Whisper, resistance was futile. One by one, the small kingdoms surrendered until the Empire spanned a continent, supreme and unchallenged.

Without warning, the Rift opened within the Aer-Elai, and countless thousands of humans poured through from a world they called Tirmar. The Empire responded to the sudden threat, but its forces discovered that the humans of Tirmar commanded a power that was completely new to godless Solasta. The humans’ deities had come with them, and their divine magic was more than equal to the arcane sorcery of the high elves. Even so, after a series of hard-fought battles the humans turned away from the Aer-Elai, moving north towards the lands of the Snow Alliance.

The Empire did not realize at first that the invading humans were refugees, fleeing an ancient threat – and no one knew that the threat was coming through the Rift after them.

When the truth became known, the Empire joined forces with the human newcomers and Solasta’s free peoples. The Empire’s most powerful wizards, the masters of the Arcaneum, gathered to close the Rift and save Solasta. They succeeded, but at a terrible price: a great Cataclysm tore through the heart of the Empire.

The Cataclysm shattered the Manacalon Empire. The homelands of the Aer-Elai were warped beyond recognition and the Inner Provinces became monster-haunted wastes. Magic drained from the land. The very fabric of reality and the geography of many places was drastically altered: volcanoes erupted, mountains collapsed, earthquakes shattered the land, and civilization teetered on the brink of extinction.

A thousand years later, Solasta has survived and civilization is spreading once again. The effects of the Cataclysm are still felt: the Aer-Elai, where wizards once sat and watched a world at their feet, are now the Badlands, full of monsters, hazards, and the shattered ruins of a mighty empire. Humans have become a part of this new world, learning to live in harmony with elves, dwarves and halflings. Their gods thrive on Solasta, having gained new followers from all races. The land has healed enough for arcane magic to return: wizards can work their wonders once again, with almost as much power as they used to enjoy in the days of the old Empire.
I wonder if those gods were refugees too.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
with the somewhat unique twist that the human refugees who came through the portal brought their gods (and divine magic) along with them. I quote:
an allegory to how muslim refugees brings islam and allah with them to Europe

More like the Hebrews hauling their god(s?) with them from Egypt and then telling the canaanites it’s Yahweh or the highway.

Dorateen

Arcane
I like the art style they used.

a7445d20058e57bca5b28793d99a4330_original.png

Syl

Cipher
Finally reading the Kickstarter page, I realized their studio is located in the arrondissement (district) next to mine. I know the street and my school was on the way there.

3dmHb0o.png

This photo of them on Kickstarter intrigues me. The red door doesn't ring any bell and doesn't look like it could be the studio.
It's Saturday, close to midnight... ok, I'm going to investigate.

I took some photos on the way. Sorry for the crappy quality, turns out buying a cheap phone comes at a price afterall.

HU9jy6V.jpg
8UMasIU.jpg

My school (seen from afar and upclose).

fGNDFVJ.jpg

A small street on the way (not that dark in real and the street ahead is crowded).

fkfsuml.jpg

That's their street. I'm getting close.

8DC1J2L.jpg

The entrance of the studio. I saw no mention of it by the door though, but the building hosts many businesses. No intercom, a code is needed to enter.

As I suspected, I now have to find that red door. Let's try on the left.
10 mn later, I found this, just around the corner... on the right.

cfzFWUf.jpg

That's the well known Église des Blancs-Manteaux (Church of the White Coats).

JtnM9rt.jpg
3dmHb0o.png

My photo is so bad, I'm not sure that's the one. What do you think?

Hamlet

Novice
Interesting pictures, I guess the upside of that neighborhood is you could walk outside on your lunch-break and buy some crack.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom