Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Solasta Kickstarter Update #10: The Paladins and Rangers of Solasta

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Solasta: Crown of the Magister; Tactical Adventures

Yesterday Tactical Adventures asked backers of Solasta: Crown of the Magister to vote on whether Paladins or Rangers should be the next class to be added to the game. But wait, what's a Paladin? Today's Kickstarter update has some setting-specific details about the Paladins and Rangers of the world of Solasta. Like the game's other classes, each one has three archetypes. The description of the Ranger archetypes is a bit crunchier, so I'll quote that part here:

Wanderers of Solasta’s wilderness, rangers are the kind of people who prefer to sleep out in the woods rather than in a town inn, listening to the sounds of nature rather than the chatter of people.

Trained survivalists and hunters, they are fierce combatants but have enough subtlety to be stealthy when needed. Excellent trackers and archers, they can also have the ability to cast spells that channel the powers of nature.

Hunters

Masters of the of melee and ranged combat, these are Solasta’s supreme predators. Able to track their prey for days through the worst terrain, they dedicate their whole being to the art of the hunt.

They develop a variety of combat techniques, depending on their prey of choice. Some hunt giants, while others specialize in fighting hordes of smaller monsters.

Marksmen

Heirs to the high elf archery traditions of the old Empire, these are undisputed masters of their art and the deadliest ranged combatants on Solasta. Their specialized training includes many different techniques:
  • Fast shooting, to react to opponent moves with a deadly shot.
  • Close quarters combat, to remain efficient at close range and avoid being cornered by melee combatants.
  • Arrow recovery, to avoid running out of ammunition.
  • Poisoning arrows, to defeat even the toughest enemies – although high elf historians deny that this was a routine tactic of the Imperial ranger forces.
  • Rumors have also been heard of rains of arrows, so far without proof.
Shadow Tamers

Used to wandering the desolated Badlands, these rangers know the lore and languages of darkness, traps, and the underground world. They walk without fear where others would hesitate to tread.

Simply put, a shadow tamer is at ease when others are not. The numberless hazards of the Badlands include darkness, monsters, rough terrain, bad weather, and chaos. Shadow tamers take all of these dangers in stride.

Heights, depths, darkness, monsters: none of these bother them. In fact, they make them deadlier. In the monster’s den, they are the greater monster.​

Now you know!

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
mmNvHiF.jpg

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
When I head that they will implement only 4 classes, I thought it will be: rogue, wizard, cleric, fighter (just like in demo) But now there a choice between Ranger and both Paladin, therefore other classes can be also choice and in the end party composition can be a mess, because people was choosing blindly, without knowledge what choice will be next. Or I missed something and there will be more than four classes?

Anyway there my personal cons and pros for both choices:
Paladin:
Pros-
1)Paladin can wear heavy armor from start.
2)Paladin has some good spells that relatively easy implemented in crpg without risking fucking it up.
3) Sometimes can be fun to role play crusader for holy faith (I know it sounds autistic in application to crpg, but still)
Cons-
1)We don't know details about moral code and it can be very retarded. Therefore, actions of paladin can hurt party or even kill everyone.
2) Paladin is an alignment slave (even more than other classes), he don't really has any choice in his actions and roleplay can become as real rail-road chore.
3) If some party members will act different than a paladin - he can betray them and justify it as moral code/ God's will commanded to do so (even if other members of party was trying to do a good deed)

Ranger:
Pros-
1) Good with bows.
2) Favored enemy - since in crpg enemies can't just appear from imagination of DM, there a possibility for certain enemies to appear in game more than others.
3) Less influenced by alignment and gods than Paladin.
Cons-
1) Rangers don't get heavy armor and I suspect that doing ungrateful job of being a "tank" goes to cleric (if cleric will be chosen next). Trade cleric spellcaster to ranged dps - imo not always good idea.
2) Can be turned by devs from bad ass monster hunter to mad weaponized tree hugger. Depends on devs view on ranger.
3) Abilities and spells of ranger maybe funny in tabletop, but hard properly implement in CRPG. Tree Stride as example.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom