Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underrail Dev Log #64: Version 1.1.1.0 - Core City Factions Update

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Stygian Software; Underrail; Underrail: Expedition

The Expedition expansion for Underrail was undoubtedly this summer's most significant RPG release. While it's now been overshadowed by other titles, development on the game continues. Today it received its first major update since the expansion launched. Stygian are calling it the Core City Factions Update and it's intended to be the first in a series of wide-ranging content updates featuring all sorts of additions and tweaks. As Styg has previously hinted on our forums, they've also begun work on a second expansion which will be a standalone campaign featuring a new player character. The latest development update has the details:

Hi guys,

We're rolling out the first content update after the Expedition release and we're doing it directly on the main branch so good luck everyone! But first, a few words regarding our current state and our future plans.

Despite having hardly any mainstream press coverage upon release, Expedition sold decently well in the initial wave and then kept doing well in the following weeks. This is very encouraging because this tells me that during the years we did manage to establish a big and dedicated enough of a fanbase, that is keeping an eye on the game and spreading the word about it, that we are no longer at the mercy of whims of individual mainstream journos of dubious gaming pedigree. Speaking of individual whims, we did in the end get a huge visibility boost (that translated into a financial one) from our friendly Ugandan YouTuber in the form of this video. Much love to Sseth.

Our plans for the future are two-fold. First, we intend to release at least a couple more content updates. These updates will vary in size, but you can probably expect something comparable to this one. They will feature mostly minor quest changes, new items, couple new areas and possibly some moderate mechanical changes. I don't know how frequent these will be, but we'll do our best not to keep you waiting for too long.

Secondly, and this will be our major focus, we'll start working on another expansion for the game. This one will be a standalone campaign in which you'll play as a new character in an area that will not be connected to the main game. We decided to do it this way for two reasons: first, because the base game is big enough as it is and we don't want to add more of the big content chunks either horizontally or through further character scaling (we will be adding some smaller stuff through the content updates, though); and secondly, we want to be able to revisit certain base mechanics and design patterns we used in the base game and improve upon them without either making the game inconsistent or having to redesign major parts of the base game. We'll talk more about what these things are and how we're improving upon them in the future.

That's it regarding our plans. We'll try to keep you guys posted on the development.
I think we know now that it will probably be years before we see that second expansion, but these themed content updates might help pass the time. Check out the full update for the complete changelog.

Trashos

Arcane
we'll start working on another expansion for the game.

I 'd rather have UR2 instead, but OK.

Despite having hardly any mainstream press coverage upon release, Expedition sold decently well in the initial wave and then kept doing well in the following weeks. This is very encouraging because this tells me that during the years we did manage to establish a big and dedicated enough of a fanbase, that is keeping an eye on the game and spreading the word about it, that we are no longer at the mercy of whims of individual mainstream journos of dubious gaming pedigree.

Great to hear the Expedition did decently well. It had "commercial suicide" written all over it. Does anyone know the numbers?

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
They're finally going to fix the free drones quest?

aratuk

Cipher
Yes… kind of by definition, a "standalone campaign" with a new character, in a new area is a sequel. Right?

He's even talking about changing some of the "base mechanics and design patterns," which would seem to make it even more explicitly *a new thing* rather than an extension of the previous thing.

Styg is writing a trilogy, and he won't admit it to himself.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I'm guessing it's gonna be short (at least compared to the original) which is why they don't want to treat it as a new game.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
People wishing for sequels....better to be happy with 'expansions'. I would have preferred 'expansions' to FO1-2 till the end of time than having the 'joys' of FO3.

At least with an expansion, the dev is constrained for better or worse by what is already available rather than letting more retarded delusions run rampart in a 'bigger, better' sequel.

Be careful what you wish for....

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
People wishing for sequels....better to be happy with 'expansions'. I would have preferred 'expansions' to FO1-2 till the end of time than having the 'joys' of FO3.

At least with an expansion, the dev is constrained for better or worse by what is already available rather than letting more retarded delusions run rampart in a 'bigger, better' sequel.

Not wishing as a sequel in current market trend definition. my real wish is that they keep the same engine, same gameplay with more polished rough edges and content, but it is more of a branding problem. an expansion carry the expectations of "i need to play the base game" more than a sequel is (even tho if it is in principle the same if it was a stand alone stories or continuing the same story).

but then again calling it a sequel still carry the weight of "everything MUST BE NEW" (aka oblivion with guns, or 'more of the same as the first game' syndrome) that the current market trend dictate, but with franchise like underrail (and better it have established loyal fans) i think people are more lax in defining the requirement of a sequel that it must be a whole new expensive endeavor.

ciox

Liturgist

Not wishing as a sequel in current market trend definition. my real wish is that they keep the same engine, same gameplay with more polished rough edges and content, but it is more of a branding problem. an expansion carry the expectations of "i need to play the base game" more than a sequel is (even tho if it is in principle the same if it was a stand alone stories or continuing the same story).

but then again calling it a sequel still carry the weight of "everything MUST BE NEW" (aka oblivion with guns, or 'more of the same as the first game' syndrome) that the current market trend dictate, but with franchise like underrail (and better it have established loyal fans) i think people are more lax in defining the requirement of a sequel that it must be a whole new expensive endeavor.
The engine needs some serious upgrades though, first of which is sprite compositing like in Diablo 2, where weapons and armor are just tacked on so you don't need to re-render entire sheets just for a new item, that will finally allow for more advanced animations, more animation frames, more types of movement like humanoids crawling through vent shafts and on the ground, cool death animations or special feat animations, etc. I'm sure they're aware of this, it's just that even upgrading the engine is a big step let alone making a new engine.

Trashos

Arcane

UR's world intrigued me, but it left many loose ends. I want to see them tied!

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Yes… kind of by definition, a "standalone campaign" with a new character, in a new area is a sequel. Right?

It's a stand alone expansion like there were before the age of dlc diarrhea.

He's even talking about changing some of the "base mechanics and design patterns," which would seem to make it even more explicitly *a new thing* rather than an extension of the previous thing.

Of course it's a new thing but you missed this part: "we want to be able to revisit certain base mechanics and design patterns we used in the base game and improve upon them without either making the game inconsistent".

Styg is writing a trilogy, and he won't admit it to himself.

You suffer from selective reading and you don't want to admit it.

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You know this game is good when a dev update makes me want to replay the whole thing.
The engine needs some serious upgrades though, first of which is sprite compositing like in Diablo 2, where weapons and armor are just tacked on so you don't need to re-render entire sheets just for a new item, that will finally allow for more advanced animations, more animation frames, more types of movement like humanoids crawling through vent shafts and on the ground, cool death animations or special feat animations, etc. I'm sure they're aware of this, it's just that even upgrading the engine is a big step let alone making a new engine.
Literally everything you listed is irrelevant to the actual quality of the game. Why bother spending an inordinate amount of time changing the engine, or god-forbid, making an entirely new one from scratch, when they could just continue to add more content to an already great engine.

ciox

Liturgist
You know this game is good when a dev update makes me want to replay the whole thing.
Literally everything you listed is irrelevant to the actual quality of the game. Why bother spending an inordinate amount of time changing the engine, or god-forbid, making an entirely new one from scratch, when they could just continue to add more content to an already great engine.
Because they're already doing stuff like this.
And the engine needs plenty of work still, there's long standing bugs that are hard to fix because of the old codebase.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Styg is fairly grounded and clearly has a vision for his games. Have faith, brehs.

I do have faith but then we also have the autistic design of Deep Caverns and the Black Sea areas.

I'm sure Styg is thrilled about these areas but on the other hand best Underrail is up until Core City.

I would love an uncharted area resembling early original campaign but I will pass if it's another shit sandwich with Locusts and Crabs.

So, I don't know.

Xeon

Augur
I wonder if it matters if it says its a DLC or a stand alone game instead to get more exposure, iirc Shadowrun Hong Kong sold poorly because they listed it as an expansion or something at first, no?

Yolan

Novice
Hmmm... OK now I am interested in giving it another shot. Bounced eight hours in on my first run.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom