Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Oblivion gives Gaming Groove a happy

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

There's <A href="http://www.gaminggroove.com/article.php?id=50">a review</a> of <a href="http://www.elderscrolls.com">Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion</a> on <a href="http://www.gaminggroove.com/">Gaming Groove</a>. There's yet another <b>9/10</b> with some quotes for the <b>SUPER DELUXE GAME OF THE YEAR PLATINUM COLLECTORS MEGA EDITION REMIX</b> which we all know is coming eventually.
<br>
<blockquote>Oblivion is huge...I've said that, but it's so absolutely huge that you have no idea. It's over 200 hours of play in the game. A record I heard was that some dude took 60 just to play the main quest. Except for the crashes, which were infrequent and annoying, there aren't any real "bugs" in the game; however, Bethesda needs to address whatever that is that's causing it and fix it ASAP. Now since I didn't play any of the previous Elder Scrolls games, I can't compare it to any predecessor; but I can compare it to another game I loved: Neverwinter Nights. Oblivion makes NWN look like a sad little cartoon. Seriously. Bioware, you need to step up to the plate! </blockquote>
<br>
Gosh. A comparason between <A href="http://nwn.bioware.com">Neverwinter Nights</a> and <A href="http://www.elderscrolls.com">Oblivion</a> should consist of <i>Which game was the most overly hyped?</i> just to be fair.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blue's News</A>

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Naked_Lunch said:
I'd sure as hell take NWN over Oblivion anyday. NWN's plain OC for that matter.

Really? Maybe you need to go replay that thing just to make sure you understand the magnitude of what you are saying. That campaign pretty much did everything wrong thats possible to do wrong, where with Oblivion.... ummm... Patrick Steward?

Drakron

Arcane
NWN OC is as bad as you can get, Oblivion is only uninspired and boring.

Self-Ejected

BeholderX

Self-Ejected
Seriously. Only a raving madman would even consider replaying the NWN OC, easily the worst PCRPG experience I ever had.

Section8

Cipher
A record I heard was that some dude took 60 just to play the main quest.

There's a guy who has been playing FEAR for over 6000+ hours! That proves that everyone will get lots of play time out of the game, and has nothing to do with the fact that he has no arms or legs, and his minder just propped him in front of the game's title screen.

But god, I'm starting to feel bad poking fun at Oblivion reviewers. It's even less of a challenge than Oblivion was. As for NWN comparisons, well...

Here in Australia, when you complete high school, you get a percentile mark that is used to determine your eligibility for University. It's scaled on a bell curve, and so it's possible to be the sad fucker that gets 0%. However, instead of telling you that, you get a "15% and under" certificate that basically says "We think you're all such failures that you don't even deserve to be differentiated."

See what I'm getting at with regard to NWN vs Oblivion? ;)

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"NWN OC is as bad as you can get, Oblivion is only uninspired and boring."

You are stupid.

7th Circle

Scholar
Section8 said:
Here in Australia, when you complete high school, you get a percentile mark that is used to determine your eligibility for University. It's scaled on a bell curve, and so it's possible to be the sad fucker that gets 0%. However, instead of telling you that, you get a "15% and under" certificate that basically says "We think you're all such failures that you don't even deserve to be differentiated."

I assume you're referring to the NSW TER.

Firstly, the numbers represent a percentile rank so it is not scaling. Yes, there is all sorts of scaling to work out the rank order but the actual numbers are simply ranks (expressed as percentiles), which by definition can't be normally (i.e., the "bell-curve") distributed.

Secondly, the system has changed. That used to be the way it was but they later changed the TER system to the UAI with a lot of fanfare. The only difference was that the UAI counts people who dropped out before yr12. Consequently, it is not possible to get a 0.00 because the yr10-yr12 drop-outs will cover that and the first (i.e., lowest) few recentiles.

EDIT - I don't remember whether the 15.00 rule still applies or not but it wouldn't matter if the yr10-yr12 drop-out rate was >=15%.

Section8

Cipher
Ah, right. Well, shows how up to date I am, and I'd forgotten all about the whole percentile rank thing. But, the crap analogy still stands, unless you start factoring in the unreleased drop out rate of games. But even then, it's kind of fun, because you can throw Oblivion and NWN into the same bracket as the unfinished all-caps classic, TORN.

7th Circle

Scholar
Section8 said:
Ah, right. Well, shows how up to date I am, and I'd forgotten all about the whole percentile rank thing. But, the crap analogy still stands, unless you start factoring in the unreleased drop out rate of games. But even then, it's kind of fun, because you can throw Oblivion and NWN into the same bracket as the unfinished all-caps classic, TORN.

Analogies asise, it's not hard to be out of date because they keep changing the various parts of the curriculum (presumably so that it's impossible to actually evaluate it properly). I followed the system from when I was in year 6 to my third (iirc) year of uni and every one of those years there was major changes to the high school curriculum. One year it might be yr 11, the next it might be yr 9 but something was changed every single year (and in some years multiple things were changed).

Data4

Arcane
While the OC sucked, NWN at least pretends to follow a RPG system. Implementation may be lacking, but I've said it already-- NWN is much more of a RPG than Oblivion is.

I'm speaking in relative terms, here.

-D4

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I'm with SP whether he likes (or admits) it or not. There's a reason why TORN was canceled. It was beecause even Interplay/BIS knew they had a turd on their hands.

P.S. NWN is the best game ever until September. Live with it, deal with it, die with it.

Game over... for all those crappy games people suck dick over - you know the ones: BG, Arcanum, FO, KOTOR, Ultima, Oblivion, GB games, you name it, they suck it.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

Rhombus

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
Rhombus said:
I was looking forward to TORN... damn them.. could have been a cool game.

I hope you're kidding. TORN was shaping up to be quite the disaster.

Bah.. don't destroy my glorifying of the past... could have been... Not my fault they shaped it the way they did.

I did enjoy discussing it though back way back when at the BIS forums... fond memories surrounding TORN, hence why I think I was hoping for it to be a great game.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Volourn said:
Game over... for all those crappy games people suck dick over - you know the ones: BG, Arcanum, FO, KOTOR, Ultima, Oblivion, GB games, you name it, they suck it.
Isn't BG2 like your second most favoritest blowjobbing game ever? FLIP FLOP

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
hahaha ur kidding. i can't even explore much in NWN OC. Maybe the comparison is off, if you told me to choose NWN OC or Oblivion OC, I'd definitely take NWN. But if you're asking me to choose between NWN OC or Oblivion in full, I'd take the latter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom