Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Titan Quest prelove from GameSpy

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Titan Quest

<A href="http://pc.gamespy.com/">GameSpy</a> has written one of those <a href="http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/untitled-iron-lore-rpg/706949p1.html">previews</a> of <a href="http://www.titanquest.com">Titan Quest</a>.
<br>
<blockquote>As a result, I find myself a simple first-level -- er, person - standing in the middle of a beautiful field of wheat outside of a town in Greece. One of the residents of that town had an exclamation point over his head, and I've played enough RPGs to know what that means -- he's got a quest for me. Sure enough, a tribe of Satyrs have raided the village, killed a few people and taken some others into the woods for some sort of nefarious purpose. My job, of course, was to kill everything that moved and when I'd killed enough, I'd have saved the village.</blockquote>
<br>
Wouldn't it be nice, just once, to have a rather simple situation like this played out to where the player could deduce the problem on his own rather than the contrived, <i>I have a quest for you!</i> thing? You see a bunch of cop cars with their sirens on outside a bank, do you really need ask someone if it had just been robbed?
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>Prime Junta</b>!
<br>
<br>
Also, per <b>Role-Player</b>, there's now a <a href="http://www.3dgamers.com/dlselect/games/titanquest/titan_quest_demo.zip.html">demo</a> of this game ready for consumption.
<br>
<br>

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
Wouldn't it be nice, just once, to have a rather simple situation like this played out to where the player could deduce the problem on his own rather than the contrived, <i>I have a quest for you!</i> thing? You see a bunch of cop cars with their sirens on outside a bank, do you really need ask someone if it had just been robbed?

Very true. Why do designers adhere to the classic quest structure 99% of the time? Just confront me with an interesting situation and let me deal with it. I think RPG's can even learn something frim FPS in that respect - smart level design can be just as effective as a bit of dialogue and a journal entry to draw you into an interesting situation. Breaking through that mold would also facilitate emergent gameplay by putting more emphasis on random encounters that the player can react to.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Yeah, i wish there was a bit more subtlety with the quest giving. It's one thing to spell out what the main quest is or when you have something like Guild Quests/Job Board. But if you're just farting around a village or city I'd rather you could do some deductive reasoning.

Ultima VII was really good about sneaking in dozens of quests around town without smashing you over the head with it.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Wouldn't it be nice, just once, to have a rather simple situation like this played out to where the player could deduce the problem on his own rather than the contrived, I have a quest for you! thing? You see a bunch of cop cars with their sirens on outside a bank, do you really need ask someone if it had just been robbed

Its the old accommodation of the lowest common denominator thing. :)

Section8

Cipher
I'd like to see the notion of quests challenged more often. Something that would amuse the hell out of me, but probably not many others, would be a system where NPCs aren't automagically aware you've done what was asked of them. Then the onus is on the player to convince the NPCs, whether they've done it or not.

7th Circle

Scholar
Section8 said:
I'd like to see the notion of quests challenged more often. Something that would amuse the hell out of me, but probably not many others, would be a system where NPCs aren't automagically aware you've done what was asked of them. Then the onus is on the player to convince the NPCs, whether they've done it or not.

It would also give the opportunity to bluff the "quest giver".

LlamaGod

Cipher
7th Circle said:
Section8 said:

It would also give the opportunity to bluff the "quest giver".

I think these used to be called "dialog options". It's a shame everyone has stopped using them.

MacBone

Scholar
Mefi said:
If people had difficulty finding Caius in Morrowind, there looks like little hope of a major release where they leave you to figure things out for yourself.

I've talked to at least three people who tried the game, spent about an hour wandering around Seyda Neen, and gave up because they couldn't figure out what to do next.

That said, I'm stuck in the Clerk's Ward in PS:T, so I'm much the same way, I guess. I have clues and a bloody handkerchief, but that's about it.

MacBone

Scholar
Yeah, that's where the blood came from, the whole maternity issue. Nothing new from the Festhall or any of my companions. I've gone back and talked to a lot of NPCs and resolved some other quests, but I can't seem to find anything new about the MQ. I'll probably look up a walkthrough, but I was trying to avoid doing that.

MacBone

Scholar
Right. I accessed Ravel's sensory stone in the Festhall, talked to everyone in the Brothel, received the bloody handkerchef, and found and read the dodecahedron in the Festhall. So I have the key, and I think I know where the portal is, but Ravel says I have to know how to use the key to open the portal, and I haven't discovered how to use it yet.

Ravel says to "go to the place of forges and steel," which is probably either the Godsmen's Foundry or the Siege Tower. I've been back to each place several times and looked for new dialog options, but I'm getting nothing. (Well, I did get something from the golem, but I probably should have gotten that the first time I visited.) At the foundry, I talked to every unique NPC - maybe I need to try the generic NPCs?

Edit: Of course, there may be something going on with the sensory stones at the Brothel, but I haven't been able to access 'em yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom