Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Colony Ship Update #40: Implants & Stimulants, Combat Demo in February

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Colony Ship: A Post-Earth Role Playing Game; Iron Tower Studio; Vince D. Weller

As many Codexers know by now, Iron Tower animator Ivan Soloviov tragically passed away in September after a lengthy illness. This was the primary reason for the extended delay of the Colony Ship combat demo, which was originally supposed to have been out in early 2019. It's taken time to train up Ivan's replacement, but with most character animations tasks complete, Iron Tower can now commit to a release in February with a closed beta in mid-January. Today's long overdue development update has the details on that plus a bunch of other stuff, including our first detailed look at some of Colony Ship's cybernetic implants and combat stimulants. Here's an excerpt:

Why the silence?

As you probably know, Ivan Soloviov, our animator, the guy we worked with for 14 years, died on Sep 5 after being ill for months. It's a hard thing to deal with, so I didn't post any updates since his death (it just didn't seem important). Ivan handled animations, creatures, and everything that goes onto the character model, from weapons and armor to facial hair. The armor system is a lot more complex than the one in AoD which had only body armor and helmets. In Colony Ship we have boots & leggings, combat vests, jackets and coats, armguards, helmets, goggles, and breathing masks. When Ivan got ill, our progress in these two high-visibility areas had slowed down to a crawl and what we expected to wrap up in early 2019 was pushed back over and over again. We’re making progress now but we’re way off schedule, of course.

What’s done: vests, boots & leggings, armguards, helmets, goggles, respirators, weapons; energy armor, implants, most ranged and melee animations for male characters.

What’s not done: combat stimulants, jackets and coats (we have the “prototypes” that have been much improved and optimized; so we need to make variations which is relatively easy but like everything else it takes time), female animations (won’t take long once all male animations are done), and hair styles. Jackets are being work on right now; should be done by the end of the month.

We have enough to start beta testing the combat demo and this time around we fully expect to finish the rest in 2-3 months. We will start the first round in mid Jan (closed beta with new participants added each week) with public release around mid or end of Feb. Better late than never and all that.

Implants:

Implants offer another way to improve your character and give you yet another reason to explore abandoned decks and places of ill repute. There are seven implants with two modal upgrades each:

Brighten up your world with CoreProTech's inSight 7L. Tap into 25th century image processing technology today to automatically adjust gamma, contrast, color and shadows to give you the best picture quality at an unbelievably reasonable price. Every day looks a little brighter with CoreProTech!™

Perception +1

Upgrades:

This handy piece of military surplus kit will upgrade your sluggish and dimwitted retail security guard into a trigger-happy killer. Point Zero instantaneously responds to sudden movement in the user's vicinity and sends a reaction impulse directly to the motor cortex, bypassing the clumsy and unreliable decision-making process. [Currently outlawed in the European Federation.]

Snap THC +10, Reaction + 15, Stagger +10, Aimed -20

A cost-effective alternative to actual highly trained (and therefore greedy and entitled) snipers, NoScope 360 reprograms the subject's ocular system to reproduce the enhanced accuracy of a high-powered scope, boosting precision shooting at any range but negating the ability to quickly zero-in on targets.

Aimed THC +10, Critical Strike + 5, Critical Damage +25%, aimed attacks only (all other attacks are disabled)

Combat stimulants:

Regen – 5HP/turn for 4 turns; the strain on the body results in -2 penalty to all stats for the duration of combat. The regen effect isn’t stackable (so you can’t use two stimulants in one turn to boost regen to 10HP per turn) but the side effect is, so if you use two stimulants per fight, you’ll severely cripple your character. Still worth a shot if you have 2HP left.

Super Soldier – 2-4 Extra Melee Damage, +4 AP, +10 Evasion for 4 turns; same side effects as above.

Lockdown – neural resistance is maxed for 4 turns; best defense against mental attacks, especially for solo characters.
Check out the full update for images of some new models & props and a portrait of the individual known only as "A Man Who Was Born Free". Let's hope they make that release date.

slowtard

Educated
Slowtard cannot help but wonder, when heard someone died from unspecified illness, what it is and why no one names it.

Usually cancer, but when everyone avoids mentioning, you wonder maybe ignominy, maybe cirrhosis or the like, or maybe…

None of Slowtard's business. I know. It is selfish to consider. Curiosity killed the cat.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I didn't name it because I wasn't sure if I should talk about Ivan's medical history. The guy's gone, does it really matter which illness killed him? It wasn't cancer and it wasn't anything ignominious. None of us, including Ivan, thought it might kill him but it did it anyway. The end.

Rarre

Educated
Thank you for the update, really waiting to try out the combat demo, just finishing again dungeon rats with a crosbow build, croswbow and critical strike skills only 4/10/5/10/5/6, really fun to hit 4 or more critical strikes with poison and sharpened arrows in first turn. Waiting to try this kind of things in Colony Ship :)

slowtard

Educated
Please forgive Slowtard's comments. It is a perversion better kept to myself.

Tao

Savant
I didnt know Ivan died, rest in peace.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom