Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Spiderweb Software's Geneforge remake is on Kickstarter

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Geneforge 1 - Mutagen; Jeff Vogel; Spiderweb Software

When Jeff Vogel began teasing his next game on Twitter a few weeks ago, nobody had any doubt that it was going to be a remake of Geneforge. What was a bit surprising is that he announced it was going to be on Kickstarter again, just like Queen's Wish. I guess that Jeff has finally discovered this Cool New Trick for making more money and that crowdfunding is going to be standard operating procedure for Spiderweb from now on. The remake is up on Kickstarter now and it's called Geneforge 1 - Mutagen. Here's its pitch video and description:

Our tiny little company worked on the five parts of the Geneforge Saga from 1999 to 2008. They were truly unique games, with a strange and fascinating world, complex characters, tough moral choices, and a blend of fantasy and science fiction unlike anything that had come before.

The games were big successes for us, and they have a passionate following that continues to this day.

They are also old. Really, really old.

The first Geneforge game is old enough to vote now. It is really showing its age. It doesn't run on a lot of computers and the interface and graphics are hopelessly crude. We have been wanting to give it a loving, ground-up remaster for years now.

And, with your help, that time has come!

The Remaster

When we remaster our games, we put serious effort into it. We want to bring the Geneforge games into the modern world, with a better interface, graphics, and design.

The remaster will not only be for Windows and Macintosh, but we will be bringing Geneforge, for the first time, to the iPad!

We plan to respect what our fans loved about the series. The world, the characters, the story, the game system, they will be mostly the same. We plan to expand the world, adding new characters, storylines, abilities, games systems, and other ways to go crazy with your mutant monsters.

This Kickstarter will help us to hire professionals to help with art, interface design, and adding all the other things the original game is lacking. We will take the time to rework every location, encounter, and line of dialogue.

It's a huge job. Remastering the five games of the Geneforge Saga will take years. Yet, this is one of our most beloved series, there has been a big demand about it, and we're excited to start the journey with Geneforge 1 - Mutagen! And we would love for you to come with us!​

Jeff is looking to raise $30,000 dollars for Geneforge 1 - Mutagen and he's already most of the way there. You can get a copy for $20, with beta access available for superfans willing to pay $200. Since this is a remake, it's worth noting that the stretch goals are promising new content - a new creation at $50,000 and an entirely new region at $75,000. We'll see if the campaign manages to reach them. The game is scheduled for release next year in February 2021.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Low effort pitch, as expected. Practically gives no good reason for this remaster other than graphics. At least he seems to have abandoned the crappy perspective from his last game.

Interesting that he plans to remake all five. Should keep him busy the next decade or so.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The highest tier is already sold out and the second highest tier has only 1 sport left. Cult classic indeed.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Low effort pitch, as expected. Practically gives no good reason for this remaster other than graphics.

After what they pulled with Queen's Wish I wouldn't even expect better graphics. Vogel has openly admitted that he is satisfied with how his games look and has no interest in spending money / time / effort to improve their production values.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
After the Avadon series I have no hope in Spiderweb. The game will invariably have simplified mechanics and endless heaps of trash combat.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I didn't like the Avadon series, but it follows different principles from Avernum, Geneforge, Nethergate, etc. It's more linear, more story-focused and revolves around instanced "missions".

Anyway, if this is a remake like Escape from the Pit, they won't change or 'simplify' anything mechanically. That's fake news.

It would have been probably better if he didn't actually show that glimpse of "completely redone graphics".
That way he could have fooled someone into hoping for something decent.

Vogel has openly admitted that he is satisfied with how his games look and has no interest in spending money / time / effort to improve their production values.
Yeah, he did, several time. Which is extremely short sighted, given than a better visual appeal is precisely what could turn his "cult classics with thousands of passionate followers" in titles with TENS OR HUNDRED OF THOUSANDS of buyers. Even more, with a bit of luck.

And his explanation for it was "Because even when i improved graphics people still said it was ugly", which is also extremely stupid, since he clearly didn't put that much effort in it and they were absolutely right.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Someone remind me, why was the new IP game such a fuckup he's gone back to remakes again?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Someone remind me, why was the new IP game such a fuckup he's gone back to remakes again?

Nothing to do with that.

Jeff is lazy as fuck. He likes doing remakes because they take very little effort, hence why he's always alternated between new games/IPs and remakes.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just not interested in his games anymore. Queen's Wish was not a good game especially when I look back to my time playing Exile all those years ago. Sad really... :negative:

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
Just not interested in his games anymore. Queen's Wish was not a good game especially when I look back to my time playing Exile all those years ago. Sad really... :negative:
Dunno if I would write him off for Queen's Wish, the first foray into Avadon was a real downer but the second installment was much improved and the third nearly as good as that one. Granted I haven't played QW it could be real bad for all I know.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
It must be comforting to know you have FOUR Kickstarter pitches left after this one. Remaking only the first game would suck if it all ended there.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
:lol: I don't think I've ever seen such a barren kickstarter. John must have found the perfect formula on how to obtain a sufficient amount of money --enough for eating, drinking and buying my little pony paraphernalia-- for the minimum possible effort.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom