Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Lionheart Q&A over at Just RPG

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Eric Dallaire; Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader; Reflexive Entertainment

<a href="http://www.just-rpg.com/">Just RPG</a> has had a little <a href="http://www.just-rpg.com/default.asp?pid=324">question, fondle, and answer</a> session with <b>Eric Dallaire</b> and <b>Ion "Storm" Hardee</b> of <a href="http://www.reflexive.net">Reflexive</a> about their soon-to-be-released CRPG, <A href="http://lionheart.blackisle.com">Lionheart</a>. Here's a clip:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>4) The graphics in Lionheart are very beautiful and there are simply no words to describe the talents of your artists. In my preview last year I complimented the attention to detail that went into the environments, items and other graphical aspects in this game. Tell us the process that goes into creating the stunning graphics in Lionheart. What mood are you trying to establish with the graphics in Lionheart?</b>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
ED: We have a good core group of artists managed by the very talented Jeff McAteer. They?re all meticulous artists, and every one of them knows how to stay on schedule, even with the amount of care and research they put into their work. It?s so amazing when you first envision an area while writing a scene, and then the art team just blows away your expectations every time.
<br>
<br>
The basic process starts with communication between the design team and the art team. The design document paved the way for the first conceptions of what the game should look like and play like, and from there the artists did a tremendous amount of historical research. Since the game is steeped in magic, they also had great liberty to add their own twists to characters and architecture, so the look of the game is very different than real history. As production started for Lionheart, the artists created thousands of modular pieces and textures that the designers could use to construct levels. The Velocity engine has a very robust editor that allows designers to play the game, jump into the editor mode, add pieces to a level or change a texture, and then see the effects on the level instantly. The designers used these assets to build the initial levels, populate them, and add complex scripting. Where needed, the artists created custom pieces for the designers to give even more detail to the levels. Once the majority of the scripting work for the levels was complete, a team of artists went back over all the levels and added a final level of polish. It took extra time, but we think this process of cooperation between designers and artists really benefited the game.
<br>
<br>
As for the mood, the artists were definitely going for a dark, medieval world, one that has undergone some dramatic upheavals.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
<b>Note to interviewer:</b> Eric Dallaire is <i>married</i>. Stop hitting on him.
<br>
<br>
Spotted this at <A href="http://rpgvault.ign.com">RPG Vault</a>.

Psilon

Erudite
"Put points into Diplomacy?" It's Speech, dammit! I have to say, though, I like the idea of XP for sneaking.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I kind of wish they'd gone Dark Tower on this with both Low and High Speech categories, depending on who you were talking to. Like, if you were talking to a commoner, the Low Speech skill would allow you to influence that person based on your level at that skill. Nobles and things would respond better to High Speech.

Then again, I'm not sure Eric can write that much dialogue, since low intelligence dialogue isn't in the game.

Eric Dallaire

Novice
Saint_Proverbius said:
I kind of wish they'd gone Dark Tower on this with both Low and High Speech categories, depending on who you were talking to. Like, if you were talking to a commoner, the Low Speech skill would allow you to influence that person based on your level at that skill. Nobles and things would respond better to High Speech.

Then again, I'm not sure Eric can write that much dialogue, since low intelligence dialogue isn't in the game.

Saint, for your press copy, I'll just run a program that removes every other word from the scripts and replaces them with 'Uh' or 'Me no like'.

Psilon

Erudite
Daggerfall had something similar with both Etiquette and Streetwise persuasion skills, but as a SPECIAL purist it would now be hypocritical for me to suggest changing Speech.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Eric Dallaire said:
Saint, for your press copy, I'll just run a program that removes every other word from the scripts and replaces them with 'Uh' or 'Me no like'.

You mean like BioWare did for NWN's dumb dialogue?

Spazmo

Erudite
WHat're you jibber-jabbering about, CCR? You're not necessarily representing whole nations at all times in LH. Speech is speech.

Spazmo

Erudite
Again, what're you jibber-jabbering about? You're not a refined and cultured man wearing a beaverpelt tophat in Lionheart, you're an adventurer who maybe has a way with words. You're not stately because you don't repesent a state. Speech is speech.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
It's not a bad word to use, but I hardly think "diplomacy" works given the spirit taints of the setting. I don't think a Feralkin would handle diplomatic suggestions as well as some sort of physical posturing.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
To me, diplomacy looks like you can only use the speech skill in the occasional scripted event where you're doing something like Arcanum's Willoughsby quest.

I do hope it also works in more mundane places, and that the skill is widely checked throughout the game's dialogue.

As for the term, what's wrong with speech? Speech is simply that, speech. It's rather timeless if you ask me. Eloquence, persuasion, diplomacy. Sure. But WTF is wrong with speech?

Ah well.

Eric Dallaire

Novice
Saint_Proverbius said:
It's not a bad word to use, but I hardly think "diplomacy" works given the spirit taints of the setting. I don't think a Feralkin would handle diplomatic suggestions as well as some sort of physical posturing.

The name of the skill is Speech in Lionheart. And Barter is still Barter.

However, when you choose tag skills, you can choose to tag 'Diplomacy', which affects both Barter and Speech.

The skills are still tracked differently and can be raised by seperate magic items and bonuses, but tagging Diplomacy gives you a better skill point ratio for both Speech and Barter.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
Ah. Nice fix then :)

Apart from the magic bonuses which sound corny and system-twisting, that's good news! Barter usually is a stephchild anyway.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Eric Dallaire said:
The name of the skill is Speech in Lionheart. And Barter is still Barter.

However, when you choose tag skills, you can choose to tag 'Diplomacy', which affects both Barter and Speech.

The skills are still tracked differently and can be raised by seperate magic items and bonuses, but tagging Diplomacy gives you a better skill point ratio for both Speech and Barter.

Yeah, but I'm still pushing for the idea that Feralkin respond better to strength and posturing for influence than charisma and speech. :D

Spazmo

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
Yeah, but I'm still pushing for the idea that Feralkin respond better to strength and posturing for influence than charisma and speech.

Well then that would simply require the designers to include some strength rolls in Feralkin dialogs. And besides, I think that speech really encompasses general skill at communication. If Feralkin respond best to strength, then high speech would let you use what strength you have to obtain the best effect possible.

Section8

Cipher
Yeah, but I'm still pushing for the idea that Feralkin respond better to strength and posturing for influence than charisma and speech.

I like this idea too, it's like what Intimidate should be in D&D 3E. I have no idea why Charisma is the key ability for intimidation. I'd think an Ogre would be better at intimidating than a Dryad.

Chicago. And damn anyone who is not the same.
Section8 said:

I like this idea too, it's like what Intimidate should be in D&D 3E. I have no idea why Charisma is the key ability for intimidation. I'd think an Ogre would be better at intimidating than a Dryad.
Not if you are the average DnD player.........

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Spazmo said:
Well then that would simply require the designers to include some strength rolls in Feralkin dialogs. And besides, I think that speech really encompasses general skill at communication. If Feralkin respond best to strength, then high speech would let you use what strength you have to obtain the best effect possible.

I'm basing it on the way animals do things, since feralkin have animal spirits within them. Most animals have cries and calls that are a form of communication, but when it comes down to influencing another animal, it's typically done with posturing and physical body language rather than these calls and cries.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom