Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mod News Oblivion Piratey Cove official mod from Bethesda

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

There's a <A href="http://obliviondownloads.com/StoreCatalog_ProductView.aspx?ProductId=5">new official $2 mod</a> for <a href="http://www.elderscrolls.com">Oblivion</a>(Remember when the official mods were free?) lovingly crafted by <a href="http://www.bethsoft.com">Bethedsa</a>. Here's the features:
<br>
<ul><li>A fully detailed enviroment for your character to own and explore
<br>
<li>Free sleeping space: never pay for an inn again!
<br>
<li>Five upgrades for your lair
<br>
<li>Hire vendors designed especially for thieves, rogues, and assassins
<br>
<li>As you upgrade your lair new pirates will join your crew and provide you with income
<br>
<li>Over 45 new items
<br>
<li>15 new spells</ul>
<br>
And the summary:
<br>
<blockquote>The Thieves Den provides you with everything you need to outfit your stealth-based character for missions. Rediscover the legendary Dunbarrow Cove and the ancient pirate ship The Red Sabre. Dunbarrow Cove not only provides a home base to operate out of, you can purchase new vendors, trainers, and even an upgrade to your sleeping quarters with the loot from your heists.</blockquote>
<br>
Did they record <b>Patrick Stewart</b> saying, <i>ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! ARRRRRRR!</i> because that would be worth <b>$2</b> right there. It'd be funny, because he's British.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blue's News</A>
<br>

Balor

Arcane
Does it include a steerable ship?
If it does, it may actually worth buying...
Oh, and it should also come with an ocean :).

HardCode

Erudite
Hire vendors designed especially for thieves, rogues, and assassins

So, now the scumbags at Bethesda are having people pay for broken game design, like having hardly anywhere to sell stolen loot because the whole of the TES world are psychic and know you stole that plate or fork on the other side of the world. I said it long ago, they are having the suckers pay for patches.

Hazelnut

Erudite
So, a home + loot then.. :cry: Never pay for an inn again?? If you're that tight, like I am, you never paid for an inn anyway until it didn't matter, and guess what - it still isn't going to friggin well matter is it Beth?

Oh, and ad hominem - I really don't think this sounds good enough to waste bandwidth on even for $0. Or did I miss the 'non-hand holding & complex quest lines requiring thought with richly detailed NPC's who say something interesting' feature.

Hey, I've just thought of a mod that someone should make - it could be the official Codex Oblivion mod!

It would add the fabled ancient artifact of 1337'ness....

The "Muthafuckin' chockolate milk" potion which makes the pc invunerable for evar. Oh, and shine like he or she had been polished by their mother every single day for 14 years. Oooo yes, and all the NPC's could start talking in leet-speak. Maybe they could even get mobile fones so they can text you.

Oh, god, it's happening... I've come over all Volly again. :oops:

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
A fully detailed enviroment for your character to own and explore
Own, explore, pick up everything of value, sell and never return again.

Free sleeping space: never pay for an inn again!
Why pay to sleep in an inn (like around 100 septims) or in a pirate ship (2 fucking dollars!) when there's perfectly good beggar's bedrolls laying around every city to sleep on for free?

ad hominem

Scholar
Probably not, Hazelnut, but I'm on fixed bandwidth...might as well use it? Dunno.

On a side note, have they released download/purchase numbers for any of these plugins so far? I'd be curious to see how many people bought the Orrery or (God forbid) the horse armor mod.

Section8

Cipher
Why pay to sleep in an inn (like around 100 septims) or in a pirate ship (2 fucking dollars!) when there's perfectly good beggar's bedrolls laying around every city to sleep on for free?

...or countless camps all over the province you can fast travel to, kill a guy wearing 20,000 septims worth of gear, and then use their bed.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Section8 said:

...or countless camps all over the province you can fast travel to, kill a guy wearing 20,000 septims worth of gear, and then use their bed.
Yeah, money has never an issue in Oblivion unless I wanted to buy all those useless houses. I mean, I could pay for a room in an inn every time I wanted to level up and have hooded people visit me, but why would I when all the objects acting like a bed churns out the exact same result? And why are Bethesda even using it as a feature?

Roleplaying at its finest! :lol:

Kendar

Novice
Free sleeping space: never pay for an inn again!
Great, except that resting one hour give you your full health back, regardless of where you do it. You just need a beggar bed to level up for free.
Hire vendors designed especially for thieves, rogues, and assassins
Usefull only if they are levelled-list free, and it would make the mod even lamer. Also, I doubt it anyway.
As you upgrade your lair new pirates will join your crew and provide you with income
At least a good new. But wait... can someone confirms that they are not just following puppets, that they have an actual personality and you can interact with them ?
Over 45 new items
Without further precisions, I cannot comment the use, but I smell the "z0mg b1g numb4r k3vin cna masturbate 0n !!1!".
15 new spells
Yes... New spell effects, I would have said "great", but new spells... Is it just me, or it is nothing wich cannot be done with that spellmaking thing ? Just askin', u'know.
The Thieves Den provides you with everything you need to outfit your stealth-based character for missions. Rediscover the legendary Dunbarrow Cove and the ancient pirate ship The Red Sabre. Dunbarrow Cove not only provides a home base to operate out of, you can purchase new vendors, trainers, and even an upgrade to your sleeping quarters with the loot from your heists.
Fantastic, except that you never need such a place, because u'know, I have never seen in this game anything that remotely looks like an ambition to make the player live another life in another world. Everything is done so you are just an endless traveller. Maybe that is why the fast travel is restrictionless : you are always asked to go to the other side of the map.
Five upgrades for your lair
For the aforementionned reason, it is of course usefull as hell.

Why are all these mods designed to help the powergamer and make sure you have everything under your nose, without actually earning them ?
This thing better has a great story with quest branching and compelling characters. Does it ?

Hazelnut

Erudite
ad hominem said:
Probably not, Hazelnut, but I'm on fixed bandwidth...might as well use it? Dunno.

Seems like a complete waste of time to me, but then I'm still smarting from the disappointment of Oblivion. I had been looking forward to it since I stopped playing Morrowind, which was itself a very flawed game, but one I could (and did) enjoy.

:lol: @ your sig!

ad hominem

Scholar
Hazelnut said:
:lol: @ your sig!
Ever seen this, from Lynne Truss re: punctuation?

Dear Jack,

I want a man who knows what love is all about. You are generous,
kind, thoughtful. People who are not like you admit to being useless
and inferior. You have ruined me for other men. I yearn for you. I have
no feelings whatsoever when we’re apart. I can be forever happy – will
you let me be yours?

Jill

Dear Jack,

I want a man who knows what love is. All about you are generous,
kind, thoughtful people, who are not like you. Admit to being useless
and inferior. You have ruined me. For other men I yearn! For you I have
no feelings whatsoever. When we’re apart I can be forever happy. Will
you let me be?

Yours,

Jill

Hazelnut

Erudite
I prefer your sig, since that seemed a bit contrived. I've not seen it before though. You should make a thread in General Discussion and invite KingComrade - I should warn you though, it could go on for ever... :lol:

elander_

Arbiter
ad hominem said:
Well, let me be the first to say, whoop-de-shit.

And everyone just sits around waiting for the new official $0 torrent download.

Except the XBox idiots.

Deacdo

Liturgist
The "new" spells...do they have new fx and anything of any real significance, or did Bethesda just do what any player could in a few minutes?

Twinfalls

Erudite
From ESF discussion of the latest download:

But probably the best thing is the trainers which you buy like furnishings from another person in the Anvil harbor. So far there are Expert level Marksman, Expert level Speechcraft, Expert level Mercantile, and Expert level Sneak trainers.

Seems they just can't make an addition to this game without supplying a bucket of cheats along with it.

Oblivon - the RPG for the New Generation of Dumbfuck Munchkins

To talk about capitalization a bit more (a subject much more interesting than Oblivion):

When I mentioned to Samuel Delany that, much to my chagrin, I had discovered that the British do not use the serial comma, he agreed and replied, "Yes, I was once asked to provide a quote for a book that had the following dedication: This book is dedicated to my parents, Ayn Rand and God."

True story. :D

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Johannes Teugen said:
To talk about capitalization a bit more (a subject much more interesting than Oblivion):

When I mentioned to Samuel Delany that, much to my chagrin, I had discovered that the British do not use the serial comma, he agreed and replied, "Yes, I was once asked to provide a quote for a book that had the following dedication: This book is dedicated to my parents, Ayn Rand and God."

True story. :D

Hahahaha. That's one of the best quotes ever. Then again, his capitalization quote is actually supposed to be a quote about commas as well.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Oblibion Mods said:
The Thieves Den provides you with everything you need to outfit your stealth-based character for missions. Rediscover the legendary Dunbarrow Cove and the ancient pirate ship The Red Sabre. Dunbarrow Cove not only provides a home base to operate out of, you can purchase new vendors, trainers, and even an upgrade to your sleeping quarters with the loot from your heists.
So this is the future of content? No well-thought through expansion packs which add a whole new area and a series of quests which add depth and are all designed to interact with each other. Instead, we get "upgrade add-ons" with cool neat gimmicks designed to entice you to download each and every one?

Lumpy

Arcane
Actually, Bethesda broke into three teams - one for Fallout 3, on for TES V, and one for creating new content for Oblivion, such as mods, expansions, and patches. So they're probably working on an expansion right now, since it would be impossible for a team big enough to create an expansion to spend so much time on such little mods. These mods are probably things done by the expansion designers in their spare time, for milking people who don't care about money.

Eclecticist

Liturgist
DarkUnderlord said:
Oblibion Mods said:
So this is the future of content? No well-thought through expansion packs which add a whole new area and a series of quests which add depth and are all designed to interact with each other. Instead, we get "upgrade add-ons" with cool neat gimmicks designed to entice you to download each and every one?

Yes, this is the future of content. At the very least it will become a lot more widespread.

ad hominem

Scholar
Saint_Proverbius said:
Hahahaha. That's one of the best quotes ever. Then again, his capitalization quote is actually supposed to be a quote about commas as well.
I'm not 100% sure what you mean by this, but if you are referring to the absence of punctuation before the quotes, the statement is correct in it's current configuration. Since the text is quoted merely for delineation and not attributed to any particular source (i.e. ad hominem said, "Last night, your mom performed better than usual") no commas are necessary preceding the quotations.
DarkUnderlord said:
I wonder if we didn't bring this on ourselves, though...when they started releasing games that needed to be patched just for basic functionality on modern machinery--not just for unforseen hardware problems with 8-year-old gear--the community was unfortunately pretty silent. We worked our way to the point where it's now expected that a game won't work correctly until the first patch. Isn't this the next logical step?

(Also, the pay-as-you-go system of MMOs probably contributed quite a bit. Possibly even more than the above. Meh.)

Limorkil

Liturgist
Major_Blackhart said:
This would be funny if it weren't so depressingly sad. How are the TES fanboys reacting to the news?

TES fanboi here.

"Whoop-de-shit," as someone mentioned earlier, was basically my reaction. I could probably knock out the same mod on a rainy afternoon using the construction set. Only difference is that Bethesda wouldn't allow me to charge $2 for it.

To the people talking about this being the future of content: remember that this stuff is mainly for the Xbox people, who have no choice. Obviously Bethesda will sell it to PC people dumb enough to buy it, but the market here is the Xbox.

This official content sounds similar to an unofficial mod for Morrowind. I wonder whether Bethesda would be cheeky enough to take someone's unofficial Oblivion mod, move a few things around, and then sell it as an official mod. I wouldn't be surprised.

HardCode

Erudite
What a retard!
(Post #7, since their forum sucks and you can't link to the post directly.)
Even Coco the gorilla understands after one or two times.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom