Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview BioShock preglimpsing at C&VG

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioShock

<A href="http://www.computerandvideogames.com/">Computer and Video Games</a> dishes out a steamy <A href="http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=140684">preview</a> of <A href="http://www.sshock2.com/bioshock/">BioShock</a>. That's <A href="http://www.irrationalgames.com/">Irrational Games</a>' first persony CRPG about <A href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Park_is_Gay!">Crab People</a>. Anyway, here's a clip about the background:
<br>
<blockquote> The more Levine speaks, the more questions he creates. Rapture is, as he said, an underwater failed utopia, built by an ex-soviet named Andrew Ryan in 1946 for the world's cultural elite, the best and the brightest of humanity - artists, painters, scientists, athletes. "Ryan wants to create a society where the best people can do their best work unconstrained by government, unconstrained by religions, unconstrained by, as he puts it, bullshit notions of altruism," continues Levine.</blockquote>
<br>
Probably why they wiped themselves out! You get a bunch of faggy artists and homo painters together underwater with some lunatic college professors and that's what happens!
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blue's News</A>

sheek

Arbiter
Re: BioShock preglimpsing at C&VG

Saint_Proverbius said:
Probably why they wiped themselves out! You get a bunch of faggy artists and homo painters together underwater with some lunatic college professors and that's what happens!

:lol:

Ken Levine sounds like one crazy mofo.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Sounds good except for the 1st person junk bullshit. :evil:

Hazelnut

Erudite
I am REALLY looking forward to this! I'm wondering if it's time to start hiding from the publicity/hype so that I don't know everything about the game before I play it.

As for first person - I love FPP! :D

Freethis

Novice
Oarfish said:
Sounds more like a dig at Ms Rand to me.

Why even bother, today's conservatives don't read much besides military history, Ann Coulter, and biographies of Reagan. They wouldn't recognize one of their own if you beat them over the head with a copy of Atlas Shrugged...

doctor_kaz

Scholar
I was interested in this game until I read about Deus Ex Invisible War-isms like the ability to overrite your upgrades, so that you'll be able to respec your character throughout the game.

don_tomaso

Liturgist
Hazelnut said:
I am REALLY looking forward to this! I'm wondering if it's time to start hiding from the publicity/hype so that I don't know everything about the game before I play it.

As for first person - I love FPP! :D

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, especially as this guy seems to be having trouble not to tell too much about the story and the plot, he practicly gave away some key storyelements in that interview, one would at least think that he would save that stuff ´til the game is a bit later on in development... so from here on Im only going to look at screens until the game comes out..
I mean, the first time I played SS2 I hadnt read any info at all about it, and it was one of the greatest gaming-experiences Ive ever had. I cant imagine I would´ve had such a great experience if I had known anything about the plot in advance..

"I was interested in this game until I read about Deus Ex Invisible War-isms like the ability to overrite your upgrades, so that you'll be able to respec your character throughout the game."

Hey man, maybe there is some second layer we dont know about, for example, if you change some old upgrade youll probably have to start the new one from scratch, so it will be expensive.. I mean, it probably wont be like "oh wait now I want this, oh no wait I want that, or trhat haokaeaenfiaefl" .. ehh.

Drakron

Arcane
No, its going to work EXACTLY as DX2:IW.

That alone sould make you more ... careful about the game, its very easy to promise multiple solutions and paths and then becaming lazy and the "solution" being switching the canister.

Hazelnut

Erudite
As long as that dick that took over from Spectre and lead DX:IW is nowhere near I'll be very hopeful that it's not headed the same way.

Jason

chasing a bee
"I mean, the first time I played SS2 I hadnt read any info at all about it, and it was one of the greatest gaming-experiences Ive ever had."

Same here. Unfortunately, I don't have the nerd willpower to stay away from the previews and interviews about Bioshock. No other game is anywhere near as interesting to me at the moment.

Zomg

Arbiter
Levine needs to shut his damn surprise-ruining gob about this. He's going to start reciting the source code pretty soon.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Hey, did anyone say anything about a skill system? I never played System Shock series before, but people said there was a skill system in it, or something like one. Has anyone heard if it's making a comeback?

vazquez595654

Arbiter
That's totally uncalled for

My apologies, sir. In my defense, at the time of writing, I was on the drugs you suggested.

You said a mouthful!

Damn straight.

Irrational Games is using the Unreal Engine 3. Does anyone think they could make one continous level with that engine (similar to dungeon siege) or would they still have to split the game into levels like System Shock 2?

Old Scratch

Liturgist
vazquez595654 said:

My apologies, sir. In my defense, at the time of writing, I was on the drugs you suggested.

You said a mouthful!

Damn straight.

Irrational Games is using the Unreal Engine 3. Does anyone think they could make one continous level with that engine (similar to dungeon siege) or would they still have to split the game into levels like System Shock 2?

Since it's being made for the Xbox 360:)roll:) at the same time, that's probably not likely regardless of the engine. I just hope iit won't be a loading screen fest like IW or Thief 3.

don_tomaso

Liturgist
vazquez595654 said:

I think they stated in another interview that there will be levels, like in SS2, but I might be wrong.. But I think I am right.. But then again, thinking isnt my strongest side..

doctor_kaz

Scholar
Drakron said:
No, its going to work EXACTLY as DX2:IW.

That alone sould make you more ... careful about the game, its very easy to promise multiple solutions and paths and then becaming lazy and the "solution" being switching the canister.

I don't know if it will work exactly like Deus Ex: Invisible War, but it's stuff like this that makes me worry about what else is being, ahem, "streamlined" in the name of making the game more "accessible". Bioshock is being talked about with a lot of the same language as Warren Spector used to talk about Invisible War, and that's really scary. The one consistent point that I get from developer interviews about this game is that they want the fans of System Shock 2 to buy the game, but they are not designing the game for those fans. They are designing the game for casual gamers.

Twinfalls

Erudite
IW turned out so bad because Spector gave Harvey Smith too much of a free hand to try out his dumbassed streamlining 'ideas'. I don't see any basis for comparison here. And IW (and Thief DS too) had such glaring level size constraints because they were kludged to fit the original xbox's small RAM spec, then ported over to the PC.

Kraken

Scholar
Is Ken Levine directly involved in designing Bioshock? He'll always have my respect because
If I had a single goal in making Shock 2, it was to corrupt the relationship of the player with the game. Games tend to be very trustworthy--good guys are good, bad guys are bad. What you see and perceive is real. Sometimes characters are betrayed, but the player never is. I wanted to violate that trust and make the player feel that they, and not [only] the character, were led on and deceived. A lot of these goals were quite controversial amongst the team during development, but I held my ground. On this issue, I think I was right.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom