Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Chris Parker Interview

Ausir

Arcane
Tags: Chris Parker; Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader

There's a new <a href=http://www.multiplayer.it/rpg/articoli.php3?id=7783>interview</a> with <b>Chris Parker</b>, <a href=http://www.blackisle.com>BIS'</a> producer of <a href=http://lionheart.blackisle.com>Lionheart</a> at <A href=http://www.multiplayer.it/rpg/>RPG Player</a> Italian site (the interview is in English, though). It also covers the new BIS 3D engine and MMORPGs. Here's a bit:
<br>

<br>
<blockquote><i><b>RPGPlayer: What do you think about multiplayer only games or about mmorpg? Have you ever thought about developing a mmorpg? What do you think about the future destiny of singleplayer games?</b>
<br>
Black Isle Studios: "I think there is a want for all of these types of games. At various times over last few years we have discussed such a venture in Black Isle, but we haven't announced any work on one, at least not as of yet. I'm sure you understand, though, that would be a massive undertaking.
<br>
It is my personal opinion that there will always be a market for single player games. <u>This trend of multiplayer gaming is valid, but it's driven by people, mostly in suits and marketing who don't actually know what *all* gamers want even though they do know what *most* gamers want</u>. But when you approach a market like that it leaves holes, and a current gaping hole is the single player, story driven experience. There just hasn't been one for awhile that was really amazing. Sooner or later, somebody will make one, and it will be really successful, then we'll see a slew of copycats, and everybody will wonder if there's enough room on store shelves for so many single player games."</i></blockquote>
<br>

<br>
Funny, i think the same applies to the <b>turn based</b> games...
<br>

<br>
Spotted this at <a href=httP://www.rpgdot.com>RPGDot</a>.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Yup, that's pretty much my thoughts on the subject. Then again, they're probably assuming that's what Troika is for. ;)

Ausir

Arcane
And why, when i read of "people in suits and marketing" i think of Interplay?

Section8

Cipher
Black Isle Studios: "I think there is a want for all of these types of games. At various times over last few years we have discussed such a venture in Black Isle, but we haven't announced any work on one, at least not as of yet. I'm sure you understand, though, that would be a massive undertaking.

I may be reading too much into this, but use of words such as "announced" and "as of yet" are very far from the words they should be using, like "considered" and "because it's not worth it, especially given our dismal financial situation"

It's also funny to hear an Interplay employee talk about gaps in the market, since they're sooo adept at finding those gaps and using them to their full potential. Especially with SLAM DUNK!s like IWD2 and RLH.

Spazmo

Erudite
Ausir said:
And why, when i read of "people in suits and marketing" i think of Interplay?

I doubt anyone at Interplay can afford a suit at this point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom