Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Australia: Titan Quest is a godsend!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Iron Lore; Titan Quest

PALGN, Australia's finest gaming network, has posted a <a href=http://palgn.com.au/article.php?title=Titan+Quest+Review&id=4784&sid=aa0763b369327c9681d9cb467a905b9c>thoughtful preview</a> of <a href=http://www.titanquestgame.com/>Titan Quest</a>, praising this masterpiece of a game because <i>the game is deep, the combat is enjoyable, the game looks superb and there’s just so much to do.</i>
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>It’s fair to say that there hasn’t been a great deal of activity from the hack and slash side of RPGs since Diablo II...</blockquote>Considering that that's the first sentence, they definitely lost me at Hello.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The premise of Titan Quest is a great one. Gamers will begin their journey as a weak warrior from a farming town in Greece. From there, gamers slowly begin to realise the dangers that face the world, and eventually their role in preventing the worst from happening.</blockquote>Brilliant, deep, and innovative at the same time.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>...myths that help <b>deep</b>en the experience.
<br>
It’s a fairly <b>deep</b> game that doesn’t grow tiresome...
<br>
So, it’s fairly <b>deep</b> in what’s at hand,...
<br>
As <b>deep</b> and diverse as Titan Quest is in its single player,...
<br>
The game is <b>deep</b>...
<br>
...the skill system is very <b>deep</b>...</blockquote>Sounds like a fairly deep game to me.
<br>
<br>

psycojester

Arbiter
Can i just speak for the rest of Australia on the subject of Titan Quest and say

NO! deeply deeply NO!

Balor

Arcane
Does it mean that it will fuck you up really deep too? :)
Anyway, for a game that does not have a SINGLE original idea (everything is "borrowied", from genre to setting), they seem to emphasize the 'innovative' too much.

"The bigger the lie, the more likely people will beleive it"
Well, stands to reason - just look at the Bible :lol:

mckracken

Novice
Click monster. Hold mouse button until monster is dead.
Click next monster. Do the same.

Select a skill from the menu. Repeat.

Click townspeople. THEY talk to you. You just click em.

Shit, I think games are developing backwards. No bloody wonder, when games cost in the millions, though. Taking chances just isnt in the cards.

Before long, I have played my last modern game.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Vault Dweller said:
<blockquote>...myths that help <b>deep</b>en the experience.
It’s a fairly <b>deep</b> game that doesn’t grow tiresome...
So, it’s fairly <b>deep</b> in what’s at hand,...
As <b>deep</b> and diverse as Titan Quest is in its single player,...
The game is <b>deep</b>...
...the skill system is very <b>deep</b>...</blockquote>Sounds like a fairly deep game to me.

Yup, it's certainly getting pretty deep.

Ion Flux

Savant
Project: Eternity
I played the demo for this game. It's terrible. It's a lot like Dungeon Siege with a more irritating interface and wavy grass. I can tolerate a decent action RPG for a little while, but this one bored me to the point of mild anger.

It seems about as deep as American television. :roll:

psycojester

Arbiter
out of curiousity is PALGN Australias finest gaming network in the same way that Siphillis is the finest sexually transmitted diesease

vazquez595654

Arbiter
"It's not a lie, if you believe it" - George Costanza

"It's only cheating if you get caught" - Al Bundy

So the game sucks, big surprise. And it's getting positive reviews? Instead of analyzing so called RPG's we should just focus on analyzing the marketing strategies of the distributors and the ties between them and the reviewing websites. It would be a lot more interesting and we would be a lot closer to figuring out what games will be like and what games are likely to come out next.

LlamaGod

Cipher
..myths that help deepen the experience.

Except for the fact they are done so half-assed.

Oh well, like it matters to any brain dead 12 year old who probably thinks God of War was accurate.

filogreek

Scholar
I'm in Aus and I have never heard of PALGN, but a more popular site here, Ausgamers, describes the demo:

Slow, complicated RPGs begone! Titan Quest sets a new standard for stunning, mythology-based, fast-paced RPG action, featuring a revolutionary battle system and map editor.

I... disagree.

LlamaGod

Cipher
What exactly is bad with being complicated?

And wouldnt slow be a good thing for a complicated game? If you are a dunce you can spend extra time figuring things out.

'Indepth games that arn't too demanding, begone!'

xemous

Arcane
The graphics in this game kick serious ass. As you get more powerful and hit weaker monsters they go flying, I hit a lanky cat like monster and he landed on top of a tree. All the monsters have ragdoll physics, money and items fly out of chests and land realistically on the ground. The games fun as hell, I played it for 11 hours yesterday in a row until I finished Greece, I'm in egypt now.

I chose both warrior classes, attack first then defense, focusing on passive skills and high hitpoint, sword and shield.

I'm going to play through greece again as a female defense / ranger that uses a spear and shield.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
vazquez595654 said:
"It's only cheating if you get caught" - Al Bundy
"If I don't see it, it's not illegal!" - Homer Simpson

Thank fate I don't have to pay for all those games that magically appear on my HD while I'm not looking.

whitemithrandir

Erudite
It's a good diablo clone...

That's about all that can be said, really. I like the game, by the way, but I really don't see any improvement or anything that's above and beyond the architecture Diablo laid down.

vazquez595654

Arbiter

That's about all that can be said, really. I like the game, by the way, but I really don't see any improvement or anything that's above and beyond the architecture Diablo laid down.

I disagree. Diablo can still be fun after however many years. Titan Quest is only mildly amusing, and its a new release.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
"It’s fair to say that there hasn’t been a great deal of activity from the hack and slash side of RPGs since Diablo II..."
LOL

whitemithrandir

Erudite
vazquez595654 said:

I disagree. Diablo can still be fun after however many years. Titan Quest is only mildly amusing, and its a new release.

Touche, my friend.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
vazquez595654 said:

That's kind of what I'm wondering. I didn't like the demo much at all, because it just didn't have the Wow, this could hook me for a while factor. I'm wondering how many people who are saying how good this game is a few days/weeks after the release will feel about it in a month or two.

xemous

Arcane
Its boring now. I sunk 25 hours into it and finished it. I have no idea about the story or characters. You just go around killing shit in a forward fashion. I was forced to speak with some asian NPCs gawd damn, the oriental part of the game is so fucking cliche its infuriating.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom