Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Titan Quest kind of meh to EuroGamer

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Titan Quest

There's <A href="http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=65819">a review</A> of <a href="http://www.titanquestgame.com">Titan Quest</a> over at <A href="http://www.eurogamer.net">EuroGamer</a>. The score is a <b>7/10</b> and the jist is pretty much about how it's just another clone of <A href="http://www.blizzard.com/diablo">Diablo</a> with little to inspire. Here's the conclusion:
<br>
<blockquote>Titanic conclusion? RPGs of this ilk have long been without a champion. Sadly they're also a bit crumbly and old hat these days, which makes Titan Quest less inspiring than it might have been a few years ago. Although pleasingly wrapped in all the right legends, there's nothing here that fully chains us to the PC. It's too repetitious, too derivative and too fiddly to exult, especially when there's so much more artful PC RPG fodder that I haven't yet defeated. Oblivion, my love, I'll be home soon.</blockquote>
<br>
Those last few lines are pretty gosh darned depressing, aren't they?
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blue's News</A>

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Or really good.

It's always easy to bash the game instead of trying it for yourselves. That's all you people do these days, isn't it?

Ryuken

Liturgist
With all due respect but the demo didn't convince me at all (bit better than DS, a lot less worthwhile than Diablo II) and from a lot of friends' complaints it seems Iron Lore didn't fix the performance issues yet in the final version (which seems to be bugged beyond all hope with crashbugs, not only the warez-version as the developers themselves like to point out).

I'll wait for a patch first I think.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I didn't like the demo much at all. I played it for around a half an hour to an hour, and wasn't impressed at all. The demo definitely has some framerate issues also which were periodically popping up. That didn't help my impression of the game. Didn't seem to matter how many enemies were on the screen or if there were even enemies around at all. There was just nothing in the demo that stood out as something that made me want to keep playing it.

psycojester

Arbiter
I played the demo for a couple of hours, it was like chewing cardboard.

Do i meet Sol Invictus criteria to comment on the game? or must i go buy the full version and drag mysefl through it before i'm allowed to complain

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
psycojester said:
I played the demo for a couple of hours, it was like chewing cardboard.

Do i meet Sol Invictus criteria to comment on the game? or must i go buy the full version and drag mysefl through it before i'm allowed to complain

Where have you been, actually paying for the game never meets the Rextum comment criteria

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Well, if you didn't enjoy the demo I'm not going to try to persuade you to buy the game. If you don't like it, then that's all there is to it. Just don't bash the game mindlessly without even trying the demo. It's really lame to talk badly about the game just by looking at a stupid screenshot or reading some half-assed review at IGN.

whitemithrandir

Erudite
Sol Invictus said:
Well, if you didn't enjoy the demo I'm not going to try to persuade you to buy the game. If you don't like it, then that's all there is to it. Just don't bash the game mindlessly without even trying the demo. It's really lame to talk badly about the game just by looking at a stupid screenshot or reading some half-assed review at IGN.

Wait, hang on Rex, weren't you the one hyping up games long before a demo is even available?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
It would appear that nobody here is capable of holding a civilized discussion without acting overly defensive or aggressive with personal attacks completely unrelated to the subject at hand.

I never actually "hyped" Titan Quest. I defended it against some baseless attacks. It's really pathetic how defending an unreleased game against the mindless zeal that goes on around here can be construed as 'hyping up games long before a demo is available'.

It's hard to find any value in the discussions that go on at the RPG Codex when every argument turns into a personal attack. Pathetic.

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
Messianic-level superiority complexes abound.
aiee.gif

John Yossarian

Magister
And yet,you keep arguing and complaining. I haven't seen one post where you didn't talk about "personal attacks","bash the game", and "baseless attacks".

HotSnack

Cipher
I've just played the demo, and thought the game's second major flaw (the first being to make it an action rpg) was that they did crap all with the setting they had.

I mean come on, what is up with "Earth Mastery?" I can't recall any character from myth that makes me think "oh yeah, that hero has earth powarz." Especially when we take into account the spells that go into Earth Mastery; a fireball and an elemental summon - wtf?

How lazy can you get to have something like summon elemental? Come on people, you're ripping your ideas from at LEAST three different cultures, and all you can come up with is some generic monster? And then there's the fireball, I don't know what edition you guys got, but the myths I read had sorcerers brew potions and enchantments - not blowing shit up with their rocket conjuring fingers of pwnage.

And I'm not even just picking on that one skill mastery, all their skills masteries are quite retarded from "Lightning Magic" to "Rogue". It's pretty damn obvious that when these people decided to make the combat system, they just let one of the devs force his pet "improved DnD" system onto it instead of actually relating it to the source material.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
That's a good point, Snacky. However, the four elements; Air, Earth, Water, and Fire; were of Greek origin.

Here's the problem though. Play Titan Quest. Then go play Prince of Qin. You'll see the big ass problem with Titan Quest's implimentation of the ancient world in an action CRPG. Even though PoQ was more like Baldur's Gate in terms of combat, if they'd elemented the party play of the game, the setting would have still stood out as "THIS IS HOW TO DO AN ANCIENT WORLD SETTING!"

If Iron Lore had taken a page from Chinese developer, Object Software, on how the setting was handled in Prince of Qin when they did Titan Quest, I think I would have cared a little more about what was going on. Instead, it just kind of dumps you in the world and tells you to save villagers from Satyrs.

Another problem is that the damned mythological creatures should probably be more rare. If you look at movies involving mythology, the mythological elements are pretty damned rare and certainly don't cluster in to armies to attack villages right off the bat.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
All the mythological creatures attacking the villages and cities is the main part of the storyline, Saint. You don't fight any humans, except undead ones.

Half of the first act is finding out where the hell all these mythological beasts are coming from, as a matter of fact.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom