Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Comprehensive interview with Songs of Syx developer

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Tags: Gamatron AB; Songs of Syx

Songs of Syx is an ambitious city-builder/grand strategy that has been in development for a longer while, and it even had a successful Kickstarter campaign to help push it forward.

It's being worked upon exclusively by one hobo Swede in his basement, and everything points to its being somewhat ambitious, from the various inspirations it professes to the goals it pursues. If you want to hear more about all that, then you are in luck, for the developer has given a long interview with a fellow known as Blind on Youtube. The title, "A Developer Suffering from Hubris Trying to make a Game," should probably say it all.

Hope you still want to enslave entire races (not sure if necromancy is required), and you're ok with being a horrible person, because this game promises all those things and then some.

Thanks Utfärd for the news.

Mortmal

Arcane

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've been playing it for a while and can definitely recommend giving it a try.

Though it is clearly not finished yet:
Some buildings are just straight missing (e.g. you can improve mushroom harvest, but there's no mushroom farm).
The beginning of a realm is absurdly easy and IMO just too slow.
The UI is a mess - menus hidden within menus hidden within menus.
Explanations within the menus don't actually tell you anything useful - good luck trying to find out why some people are unhappy.
Tutorial barely exists, same for in-game wiki.

Still... it just has this mesmerizing quality that can keep you glued to the screen for hours.

Magitex

Educated
Some buildings are just straight missing (e.g. you can improve mushroom harvest, but there's no mushroom farm).
Mushroom farms are in the game, you simply aren't in a territory where they can be grown - you can see which buildings you do not have access to when you are placing your capital initially.

Overall this is a great city building game as it stands today, where you have to spend time refining city design rather than micromanaging people, it's not a city builder where you can just plop down whatever and your city will thrive. I like how expectations ramp up as populations grow and sometimes will force you to re-examine parts of your city in hopes of improvement.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Mushroom farms are in the game, you simply aren't in a territory where they can be grown - you can see which buildings you do not have access to when you are placing your capital initially.
Interesting, thanks.

That makes it more of a UI problem, then.
My game I started from the tutorial, which just put me "somewhere" and I went with it. I had no clue that would lock me out of certain resources.
Also, the building should still be in the UI - with a note that you can't build it here.

As it is now, I guarantee you more people will be very confused by this, not only coming from the tutorial.

Skdursh

Savant
I've had this for a while now. Early Access, but has a solid amount of content already and gets fairly regular content updates. I would definitely recommend it if you're a management and civilization sim sperg. Enslave the inferiors and force them to fight to the death in the arena for teh lulz of your citizenry.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom