Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Steam Next Fest, February 2022: Demos of upcoming RPGs available from February 21st to 28th

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Curious Panda Games; Pahris Entertainment; Space Wreck; Steam Next Fest; The Iron Oath

This year's February edition of Steam Next Fest is pretty small, as far as Codex-relevant RPGs go. There's a new demo for mercenary company tactical RPG The Iron Oath, which will finally be launching this spring. The demo for Space Wreck, which has been continuously updated by Kamaz since it was released last year, is also participating.

As usual, various developer livestreams are scheduled during the week. Feel free to post if you find anything else interesting.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Sort by Genre - RPG - 161 Matches

Mmmmhmmm. These supposed RPGs are all blending together for me.

Any of these worth a try?

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
each time infi posts, rpg gets removed

Any of these worth a try?
soulash was fine in past, I expect it only got better.
Hero hour im quite excited to try

EDIT: hero hour got scaling issues on ultra wide, also some stability things like not being able to exit properly. Graphix is a bit too simplistic, makes problems in castle view as its hard to spot things

Last edited:

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
The Demo Festival thingie last year had more interesting titles by far.

The Iron Oath was alright gameplay wise, but it has IMHO a major problem with the writing.

Symphony of War: The Nephilim Saga was extremely short (only 1 combat level, didn't allow to try out gear or formation customization etc.) but alright. Would keep an eye on it if you are into the subgenre

The Last Oricru plays like an extremely bad Dark Souls clone. Stay away.

Plague Lords unfortunately the Demo bugged out on me twice at the same tutorial step so I couldn't get far into it. Potentially interesting.

Monsters Domain nice idea, sadly clunky amateur execution.

Stones Keeper low budget and rough around the edges but could shape up to be an interesting B (or perhaps C) tier game.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Of these I tried Iron Oath and Plague Lords.

Plague Lords is easily the more interesting of the two and has some interesting mechanics although it may be somewhat clunky. Also I think it's single save only, for those monocled codexians out there.

I agree with Angelo85 that Iron Oath has a huge writing problem. The amount of text that the game bombards you with is much higher than I'd expect for this kind of RPG. Also, the demo has no overworld gameplay and two back-to-back dungeons. Felt like a chore to get through.

Dexter

Arcane
Small Saga also has a demo.

PLAY THIS. I'll post up some short impressions later in the Steam thread when I've played a bunch more, there's not much in the "RPG" section tho. So far I've downloaded Small Saga (great) and yet to play Dragon's Wandering Tavern, The Wandering Village and IXION. Then I might browse some of the other categories more in-depth.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
This might be interesting for some of you.
:necro:

Demo for Steam Next Fest:

gave it a go. Sad

seven it aint. Controls are awkward and character doesnt seem very responsive. You cant bind same key to 2 actions even if that would make sense(sword parry vs bow aim). As result in your 2 button mouse setup one of that action must be wheel click. Go figure. From the look it feels like I can play seven again but it was a joy there to move and explore. In here you are puzzled as of whether you can jump on top of a crate or not. Not like it seemed to matter.

Trailer is in nice cartoony style that doesnt match the gameplay. Left me quite puzzled.

Couldnt suffer through whole tutorial so a bunch of things I say in here might not hold. A bunch of actions were blocked only to get unlocked later on.
You are a thief. You sneak, you pickpocket, you assassinate... but you cant pick locks. Everything in demo is about finding a guard holding a key. Not like you cant interact with a keyhole, you are allowed to peek through it.
You can choke enemies for non lethal takedown. You can hide their body. Except it still leaves blood trail and guards will take a notice?

Small Saga also has a demo.

PLAY THIS. I'll post up some short impressions later in the Steam thread when I've played a bunch more, there's not much in the "RPG" section tho. So far I've downloaded Small Saga (great) and yet to play Dragon's Wandering Tavern, The Wandering Village and IXION. Then I might browse some of the other categories more in-depth.

I second, writing really fits playing a little rodent. Although gameplay is just a
9c7.jpg

Plague lord seem impossible to play on ultrawide due to technical difficulties

Iron oath is cool, already had it on wishlist so I guess I had some amnesia with that title

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom