Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Darkstar One purdy good to Boomtown

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Darkstar One

There's <a href="http://pc.boomtown.net/en_uk/articles/art.view.php?id=11945">a review</a> of <a href="http://www.darkstar-one.com/">Darkstar One</a> on <a href="http://pc.boomtown.net/">Boomtown</a>. While they acknowledge the RPG limitations of the game, and say it's a decent game that falls a bit short, the score is an even <b>8/10</b>.
<br>
<blockquote>So begins your journey as captain of the Darkstar One, on the trail of your father's murderer and to strike it rich in whichever trade you choose to follow. The ship is rather funky, which is just as well as you're stuck together for the whole game rather than being able to trade in once you've earned more cash. The game works like an RPG but with the ship levelling up rather than the player. Your tasked with finding strange alien artefacts to upgrade the Darkstar One. Here you can upgrade the engines, wings or hull - changing the equipment you can buy and fit to the craft.</blockquote>
<br>
It's kind of interesting to have a ship that modifies itself based on how you want to play as opposed to just buying a ship that suits you, but doesn't that kind of screw you if you change your mind later on? If you decide freight hauling isn't for you in most games, you can just buy a fighting ship. I'm not sure you can really do that in this.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.shacknews.com">Shack News</A>

Gwendo

Augur
I guess it's a matter of equipping or unequiping those artifacts, to have the kind of ship you want.

psycojester

Arbiter
No it isn't, the artifacts are like stat points, i can put 1 into the ships wings and it gets more agile. one into the body and more hitpoints and cargo room.

I'm dissappointed by this game, i wouldn't mind being stuck in the same ship the entire game if i could at least make it look intresting or nice. Green and boring do not a PJ inspire

Kraszu

Prophet
It's kind of interesting to have a ship that modifies itself based on how you want to play as opposed to just buying a ship that suits you, but doesn't that kind of screw you if you change your mind later on

Doesn't sound much diferent from crpg when you cange your mind in middle of the game.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Kraszu said:
It's kind of interesting to have a ship that modifies itself based on how you want to play as opposed to just buying a ship that suits you, but doesn't that kind of screw you if you change your mind later on

Doesn't sound much diferent from crpg when you cange your mind in middle of the game.

Probably semantic, but I think it would be better to allow better piloting and such stats to be upgraded by giving the pilot the upgrades and allow him to change ships.

TotS

Novice
psycojester said:
i can put 1 into the ships wings and it gets more agile

...wings... ...to make it more agile... ...in a vacuum...

what the...

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I'm pretty sure WINGS(tm) actually allow you to hold better weapons rather than making the ship more agile.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom