Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Minecraft Dungeons Luminous Night fires up on Steam

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Minecraft Dungeons; Mojang Studios

The next DLC expansion of Minecraft Dungeons has made available on Steam for $3.99US. So, new areas, new items, it's not exactly ugly, but it is what it is. Anywho, here's some stuff on it:

"Enjoy Minecraft Dungeons’ latest seasonal adventure to the fullest with the Luminous Night Adventure Pass. Light up the night with an additional reward track and earn adventure points to unlock new, radiantrewards, featuring over 45 items! Let a Glowing Ministrosity light the way, don the sparkling Glow-Getter skin, or level up with a burst of sparks using the Fired Up flare! Your
inventory will shine brighter than ever with the new pets, skins, emotes, flairs, and capes waiting for you – all in the Luminous Night Adventure Pass!"

This is one of those things that kind of missed the point of the original game it spawned from. I guess this was made to fill the niche that Cube World left open with the beta that pissed everyone off. The problem is that it doesn't even fill that well either. It's cute. That's about it.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
That thumbnail gave me a laugh at least.

That thumbnail threw me for a loop when I was trying to find the "release trailer" for this thing. Typically people don't put their faces on release videos. Also typically, they find a much better picture for their thumbnail.

I still don't know what Mojang was going for with this thing. My wife has it for the Switch, and she didn't like it. I tried it and I thought it was kind of a polished turd. It doesn't make a lot of sense. Maybe if they weren't trying to shoe horn Minecraft in to it and made something new with new systems, it would have been better. Or maybe if they included more Minecraft mechanics like being an open world with some building elements. It's not enough Minecraft to be a Minecraft game and not enough action RPG to be an action RPG. It's a horrible mish mash of both that tossed out anything that could have made it halfway decent. Honestly, Portal Knights is significantly better, or even PixArk. I can't coment on Trove, because I never played it. But yeah, considering this is from Mojang and official, they should have leaned further in some direction.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
That thumbnail threw me for a loop when I was trying to find the "release trailer" for this thing. Typically people don't put their faces on release videos. Also typically, they find a much better picture for their thumbnail.

I still don't know what Mojang was going for with this thing. My wife has it for the Switch, and she didn't like it. I tried it and I thought it was kind of a polished turd. It doesn't make a lot of sense. Maybe if they weren't trying to shoe horn Minecraft in to it and made something new with new systems, it would have been better. Or maybe if they included more Minecraft mechanics like being an open world with some building elements. It's not enough Minecraft to be a Minecraft game and not enough action RPG to be an action RPG. It's a horrible mish mash of both that tossed out anything that could have made it halfway decent. Honestly, Portal Knights is significantly better, or even PixArk. I can't coment on Trove, because I never played it. But yeah, considering this is from Mojang and official, they should have leaned further in some direction.

Have you gave Dragon Quest Builders 2 a try? I manageed to get 110 hours of fun out of it. My son has been giving it a go and enjoys it quite a bit so far.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Have you gave Dragon Quest Builders 2 a try?

I was looking at that. I've heard the multiplayer is a little gimpy and limited in terms of what you can do with friends. The trailer looked like fun but the reviews kind of scared me away with the co-op limitations. Then again, I don't remember what they were. I remember getting a group of friends to get State of Decay 2 because I liked the first one so much only to find out the co-op feature of the second one was pretty gimped.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
That thumbnail threw me for a loop
could be worse
The_Mystery_of_the_Druids_Coverart.jpg

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'll admit the video caused me to take a look at this game I didn't know existed... but then I saw the Steam store page where they have a truckload of DLC -- basically pay-per-dungeon.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
but then I saw the Steam store page where they have a truckload of DLC -- basically pay-per-dungeon.

Wow, great catch. I didn't even notice that. That's another nail in this things coffin. It's very mediocre without the cash grabby thing. It's like they made a list of everything that an action RPG has. Then they made a list of everything Minecraft has. Then they crossed off every feature that wasn't in both lists and made that a game hoping that the level design would save it. But, if you have to pay for the levels, then what the fuck?

When I was searching for the trailer for this thing, which I missed the first time because of that thumbnail, I spotted a video from a former player of the game which was basically "5 Things to Fix for Me to Play This Again". I would think the person that made the video really wanted to like the game or else they wouldn't have made a video about it but couldn't because of those five things.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom