Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Titan Quest swoons RPG Front

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Titan Quest

<a href="http://www.rpgfront.com/">RPG Front</a> has a <A href="http://www.rpgfront.com/?q=node/63">review</a> of <a href="http://www.titanquestgame.com">Titan Quest</a>. It scores an <b>8/10</b> with pros being replay value, editors and the like, with the cons being the lack of something like battle.net and storage:
<br>
<blockquote>When you kill a monster, they’ll drop stuff, and rest assured, there’s a ton of stuff for you to collect. There are over 50 sets of items, and hundreds of unique individual items. What’s really cool about this is the distinctive look of each and every item in the game. Unlike many other games, the equipment in Titan Quest looks, and feels unique with its huge variety of models, textures and effects. There is one problem, however, and that is the lack of storage space. While you’ll get a pack in each of the three acts of the game, your storage space is still fairly limited. It would be my wish to see the developers install some kind of shared character account vault for easy loot sharing, as having a friend to carry your items for you to give to one of your other characters can be a hassle if he’s not around.</blockquote>
<br>
That storage space thing in games has always bothered me. Considering the amount of gold you can have later on in these games, you'd think you could buy a warehouse sized trunk to store things in.
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>Exitium</b>!
<br>

Uz0rnaem

Scholar
What’s really cool about this is the distinctive look of each and every item in the game. Unlike many other games, the equipment in Titan Quest looks, and feels unique with its huge variety of models, textures and effects.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, oh dear, next they gonna praise this game for its stability and its extremely low system requirements.

Jesus, the unbelievably generic, boringly designed crap you have to wear in this game is one of the main reasons why it fails as a good, motivating action RPG. A cool action game needs cool items, not level 20 armor that looks exactly like your start equipment.

Uz0rnaem

Scholar
I absolutely disagree. In all honesty, I can't think of even one big budget, post D2 action RPG, which had less to offer in terms of items. Titan Quest sure offers an enormous amount of equipment and even upgrades, but absolutely nothing looks or feels unique.

That reviewer pulled the entire paragraph out of his ass.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Uz0rnaem you've obviously not made it to Legendary or you'd have encountered a whole bunch of pretty unique looking equipment. Even by Act 3 in Normal mode, the Tropical Arachnids drop some pretty awesome looking stuff. I don't know what you're on about.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Yeah if you didn't have the preserverence to trudge through several loads of shit until you got to something vaguely inspired, there's something wrong with you.

Direwolf

Arcane
The only problem I currently have with this game is that is started running like shit all of a sudden. Otherwise I probably would've finished normal difficulty by now.

Uz0rnaem

Scholar
Exitium said:
Uz0rnaem you've obviously not made it to Legendary or you'd have encountered a whole bunch of pretty unique looking equipment.
Yeah, of course I didn't make it to legendary. The only reason why I played this game in the first place was because my flatmate bought it and wanted to play it with me (the game allows you to play network games with only one CD, which is one of the games best features). At first I was intrigued, even though I didn't care much for the demo, but I lost interest almost instantly and he had to drag me to the third act. We never finished the game together, because I eventually uninstalled the damn thing.
My flatmate loves it, by the way. But then again, he also thinks the first "Lord of the Rings" strategy game by EA is the coolest shit ever.

Even by Act 3 in Normal mode, the Tropical Arachnids drop some pretty awesome looking stuff. I don't know what you're on about.
Well, we made it to Act 3, but I seriously don't recall any significant change in item design. But I'm just going to assume that you're right and that the game's items get more interesting after a (long) while. That still doesn't invalidate my point that you're stuck with boring, generic, brownish looking crap for the biggest part of the game.

Either way, the crappy equipment is only one of the problems I have with this game.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
@Direwolf - the hivemind says Sacred is better so submit! The problem is the hivemind didn't even bother to play the demo. No single game is better than TQ in that department.

After hours and hours of playing - the game is a generic Diablo 2 clone (i.e. Egypt is a copy of Act 2) but has one great thing: loads of items.
I nearly finished normal difficulty and I'm amazed how much stuff they put in it. I admit that Greek, Babylonian etc soldier armor looks very generic but every humanoid race has it's own set of armor (and they look really exotic). Every set and unique item looks unique :).
IMHO the drop sytem is good: if I kill a yeti boss he won't drop anything (unarmed, unarmored) - but when I kill fully armored jackalman warrior I get all his equipment (if he had any). But to *know* it you have to play the game. You can say that the game is crap (it's a matter of taste :)) but something like this:
Uz0rnaem said:
I absolutely disagree. In all honesty, I can't think of even one big budget, post D2 action RPG, which had less to offer in terms of items. Titan Quest sure offers an enormous amount of equipment and even upgrades, but absolutely nothing looks or feels unique.

That reviewer pulled the entire paragraph out of his ass.
is just a lie.

@Uz0rnaem: Victor's Silk (and other gold shit from D2) felt REALLY unique but (goddamit!) only in inventory. Maybe you haven't noticed but in TQ they did something more than that.

Uz0rnaem

Scholar
bozia2012 said:
@Direwolf - the hivemind says Sacred is better so submit! The problem is the hivemind didn't even bother to play the demo. No single game is better than TQ in that department.
You're probably not referring to me, considering that I'm a newbie around here and far from being part of the hivemind, but what's that stuff about the demo supposed to mean? I don't think anyone who complained about Titan Quest didn't at least give that awful demo a try.

... is just a lie.
You're not TEH MIGHTY VOLOURN, so don't even start with the "LIES! LIES!" crap. I stand by everything I said.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
I was referring to that other TQ thread... And Llamagod "one-liner" posts: "Sacred, Sacred uber alles!" Newbie? So what?

Lies - I'm not into emo shit or something but I meant that "facts are against you". You can count armor types and compare the numbers blah blah. It's not about your personal taste. It's something that can be measured and proved. Even if the game is crap it has more stuff than any other (and I'm talking about real-3D-in-game-models-fucko!)... Ooh teh drool is all over my desk......

Stand wherever you like. Can't believe I "defend" a game like TQ.

Uz0rnaem

Scholar
bozia2012 said:
I'm not into emo shit or something but I meant that "facts are against you". You can count armor types and compare the numbers blah blah. It's not about your personal taste. It's something that can be measured and proved.
If the sheer amount of differently labeled equipment is supposed to disprove my point, then you obviously didn't pay a lot of attention to what I actually said:
I said:
Titan Quest sure offers an enormous amount of equipment and even upgrades, but absolutely nothing looks or feels unique.

Even if the game is crap it has more stuff than any other (and I'm talking about real-3D-in-game-models-fucko!)
Well, "Sacred, Sacred über alles!" might be an exaggeration, but "Sacred, Sacred über Titan Quest!" is definitely true ;)

Seriously, all this talk about items aside, Sacred's gameworld felt much more fleshed out, and the rune-driven character development at least gave you something to do with your character in between levels. Sacred: Underworld also had dwarves with guns and dwarves with guns are teh awesum.

LlamaGod

Cipher
and thats another thing about Sacred, all the variations and designs you can do of each character. Punching dwarf, item finder dwarf, gun dwarf, melee dwarf, two handed weapon dwarf, etc.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
@Uz0rnaem: well you didn't pay attention to what I was saying too (or I didn't articulate it properly :)) I meant that not only labels but the in-game model is different for every type of armor - new name, new armor. And they look different: desert raiders' armor is just rags with some straps, arachind armor is made of chitin plates, tropical arachnid armor is made of bones(?), many beast-type monsters have harnesses (each unique), even bosses drop boss armor (if they have any)... I've got some items from Ramses' set and it looks like egyptian "royal/ceremonial gear". Even some rare items have unique name and look (that legtip I found). If you don't see the difference between a gladius and a muthafuckin legtip.... If it "feels" unique is a matter of taste (or perception). All of it's just armor or a melee weapon. Thinking that way - nothing differentiates Oblivion form Fallout. Two PC games.
If you put items aside, you have only havok left... That's TQ. Honestly I don't even bother to read about the plot. I don't even know what is the soundtrack like. I assume they're generic so I just hack through mobs and hoard phat lewt. Unfortunately chewing gum was not included.
@Llamagod: TQ is teh reel RPG - you can roleplay a walking character that walks everywhere (LOL no teleportS!) or you can be a brawler-mage (unarmed kung-fu type life is hard)... this is retarded. Choosing different weapons for your character is what you call variations and design? Sacred has shorter title - that also makes it better than TQ?

Direwolf

Arcane
and thats another thing about Sacred, all the variations and designs you can do of each character. Punching dwarf, item finder dwarf, gun dwarf, melee dwarf, two handed weapon dwarf, etc.

Yes, but that what makes all the items in Sacred that much more generic. I actually played it about a month or so ago. I noticed that though you get heaps of various items, you can't use about 80% of them (class restrictions) and the ones you get to use look and feel exacly the same. At least in TQ you character can use almost every single item, which makes every single weapon and armour you find much more special.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Direwolf said:
Yes, but that what makes all the items in Sacred that much more generic. I actually played it about a month or so ago. I noticed that though you get heaps of various items, you can't use about 80% of them (class restrictions) and the ones you get to use look and feel exacly the same. At least in TQ you character can use almost every single item, which makes every single weapon and armour you find much more special.

That kind of thing sucks for single player, but it works out nicely in multiplayer. I personally would like class items to remain at a minimum. However, given the nature of Sacred's set items and what all they do for the classes, it's not hard to justify that design decision.

If you want an example of that class item thing done poorly, play Harbinger.

Direwolf

Arcane
Yeah, Harbringer, that's the game I was trying to remember as an example of good sci-fi action RPG in comparison to Restricted Area, although I have not played it for ages. Is it abandoware yet or do they still sell it?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
What is so great about Sacred, Patrick? The animations look like crap, so who really cares if you can make a "Gun Dwarf" that looks slightly different from a "Two Handed Weapon Dwarf", which don't look all that different in any case.

Talk about double standards, besides. Some of you people here go on about how some game is great because of it's big selection of classes no matter how crappy it looks and what little it has to offer in terms of visual variation, but put Titan Quest down because they aren't satisfied by the way their character looks - never mind the fact that the game allows for the creation of 28 unique classes with different gameplay/skill variations. Graphics whore.

Titan Quest sure offers an enormous amount of equipment and even upgrades, but absolutely nothing looks or feels unique.
Bullshit. That's true for Diablo 2, but it's certainly not the case with Titan Quest. Every unique weapon and armor in Titan Quest has their own model and/or texture plus effects in addition to inventory art.

Uz0rnaem

Scholar
Exitium said:
Talk about double standards, besides. Some of you people here go on about how some game is great because of it's big selection of classes no matter how crappy it looks and what little it has to offer in terms of visual variation, but put Titan Quest down because they aren't satisfied by the way their character looks - never mind the fact that the game allows for the creation of 28 unique classes with different gameplay/skill variations. Graphics whore.
What the fuck... I started with the item discussion, simply because I thought that reviewer was full of shit when he praised Titan Quest's visual variety so much. It's not like that's the only, or even the biggest thing wrong with that mediocre mess of a game.

And I don't see the double standard in preferring Sacred to TQ either. In my opinion Sacred is superior to TQ in absolutely every aspect, except for animation.

aries202

Erudite
HI :)

At least Titan Quest(tm) isn't afraid to stand up for it is: A diablo like clone in a different setting than diablo, as well as fun hack n slash action game with rpg elements. And not like some other games who
tries to convince you that there are the best rpg evar...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom