Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dungeoneer auto-attacks Early Access

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Alex Luna; Dungeoneer

Dungeoneer has entered Early Access on Steam. It's a top down actiony CRPG with 6 classes, 4 player coop, and of course, has dungeons. There's no sale, and it's $9.99US currently. There's not a whole lot of info in the description, no website, but there is short trailer. And, here it is:

Dungeoneer is a top-down action RPG with auto-attack style combat where you progress by exploring and completing dungeons.

Choose from up to 6 classes and 6 skills to create your custom hero.

Complete optional quests for additional rewards and lore, encouraging exploration. Loot is randomly generated along with semi-random boss loot. Beware, traps and hazards which could crush or impale you lie around every corner!

The one thing that looks fairly interesting in this title are the use of traps and the variety of traps. The log trap on the stairs was pretty funny. For some reason, I find traps more endearing than monsters these days. Perhaps it's that monsters are always used and decent traps rarely are. Exploding barrels don't count. The one thing I didn't see in the features, but maybe I missed it, would be random dungeon generation.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
The rocks knocking the player down but not out looked pretty funny too.

Honestly, traps were a big part of the P&P tabletop I played as a kid. Nearly all CRPGs have dungeons, and all of those dungeons have monsters, but there's not too many I've seen with traps especially those that are real time. If they do, they only put in some basic stuff even if they have a physics engine. About the only real time "CRPG" and it was fairly light on the RPG part but I still enjoyed the Hell out of it, was Nox. RIP Westwood.

Nox multiplayer was about as close to getting that feeling of fun I got playing Gauntlet in the arcade back when those were a thing only with more traps.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom