Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review TBL explores Out There: Oceans of Time

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Mi-Clos Studio; Out There: Oceans of Time

Turn Based Lovers offers up their take of Out There: Oceans of Time, a space faring "rogue-like". It covers many aspects of the game with the author's favorite part seeming to be the exploration part of the game. Which, yeah, space games and exploration kind of go together like peas and carrots. He seems to not like the early game, particularly the resource management. The overall score is a 7. Here's a brief snippet:

One of the main features of Out There: Oceans of Time is Exploration. This is where in my opinion the game most shines. You will be going from system to system, with random events showing up, and flying over to nearby planets. The latter you can then scan for something interesting – an anomaly of sorts. Finding it gives an option to go on an expedition to the planet. After landing, you end up on a grid-like map, with the crew you’ve selected for the journey. From there, you just move across the planet’s surface, gathering resources, possibly navigating trap areas and, finally, solving events.

Say what you want about games that call themselves rogue-like these days, and I'll be one of the first people to say that tag is way overused and abused, but they don't seem to be shoe-horned in to a setting or genre like more classic CRPGs seem to be. Also, the more CRPGs set in space, with space ships, and planetary exploration, the better as far as I'm concerned.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
The exploration definitely appears to be the most interesting part of the game. The learning curve looks a tad monotonous. Once you decide to set out and explore a planet, a small cutscene plays of your ship landing then you select your party. Here is a default youtuber exploring a planet.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
The exploration definitely appears to be the most interesting part of the game.

You know, I was curious how the more puritanical of the rogue-like enthusiasts would look at a space faring game that called itself a rogue-like, particularly when it came to the lack of things that could be randomly generated. I was under the assumption that generating a solar system wouldn't qualify to meet the more strict definitions of the genre to them. However, it looks like this game's planet exploration would fit that bill.

I can also see how the resource management in the beginning could be annoying. It almost reminds me of No Man's Sky's early game inventory management.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom