Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lemming42

Arcane
Ultima Underworld is the pick of the year. Darklands is great too. Realms of Arkania is okay.

Alone in the Dark is a pretty solid game, prefer it to Resident Evil. Wolfenstein 3D is what it is; its simplicity being both a strength and weakness. Spear of Destiny is a small step up from the base game, level-design wise.

It's worth mentioning Star Trek: 25th Anniversary, a cool adventure game based on Star Trek TOS. It's outclassed by its sequel Judgment Rites in pretty much every way imaginable but it's still a nice game.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Dune II is still fun to play, because it is so simple and straightforward.
End a campaign as Atreides (the most interesting), and move to another game. Back in 1992 of course we would do the 3 campaigns

Lemming42

Arcane
Star Trek: 25th Anniversary, looks cool but i never liked star trek setting ( in games, in movies/tv show is ok). I also detest star wars so despite the fact that i love sci-fi there will be no star wars game on any of my lists ( probably)
If you're interested you can skip 25th Anniversary and play Judgment Rites, it's the best Star Trek game ever made IMO. 25th Anniversary is a bit bland and the missions are short and incredibly straightforward, but Judgment Rites gets the feeling of the TV show down perfectly, it just puts you in crazy sci-fi plots and lets you try to experiment your way out of them. A few of the missions would easily translate into good episodes.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Another big year for games. I doubt much holds up today but there were some important games and some might still hold up. Stuff like:

Alone in the Dark
Dune
- the sequel is the famous one but I think this original one was better and more impressive. It still birthed RTS, it just wasn't as obvious.
Hardball 3 - I think this was a pretty good baseball game.
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis - One of the best adventure games I've played. Probably top 3.
Mortal Kombat
Space Crusade
- I loved this game, friends at school played it too. I played it more recently and it was still good.
Stunt Island - Unique game, interesting, fun, probably still fun today if you can get past the aged graphics.
Ultima Underworld - badass!
Wiz 7
Wolfenstein 3d
- maybe the most important/significant game of all time?

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
1992 was generally inferior to 1991, but for RPGs it did have Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss, Black Crypt, Ishar: Legend of the Fortress, Dark Queen of Krynn (and the two D&D console games), Ultima VII, Wizardry VII, Might and Magic IV: Clouds of Xeen, and Darklands.

Other notable Amiga-originals, aside from Black Crypt and Ishar:

uEIv0mz.gif

Agony, the best owl-based shoot-'em'-up ever

T1afJwK.gif

Flashback

Also Apidya, Ashes of Empire, and Pinball Dreams/Fantasies

Other games: The Lost Treasures of Infocom compilation, Wolfenstein 3D, Contra III, Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder, and Knights of the Round

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Wolf3D
https://www.mobygames.com/game/wolfenstein-3d

Grandfather of fps genre. Everything about this game is shit: graphics, level design, universal ammo, 4 weapons in the entire game, story ( there is none basically), everything. There is not a single reason to play wolf3d in 2022+. That's right edgelordian codexers, READ MY LIPS: There is not a single reason to play wolf3d in 2022+. Not even historical curiosity (watch gameplay on youtube).Period.
Fuck you.
Go play your kiddie Call of Cunt: Modern Whorefare.

Curratum

There are no games made in those years that are worth "playing" in earnest now, apart from experiencing a bit of nostalgia for when you were young and / or playing them using a very good sourceport.

Only exception are probably adventure games.

Curratum

Wolf3D

Grandfather of fps genre. Everything about this game is shit: graphics, level design, universal ammo, 4 weapons in the entire game, story ( there is none basically), everything. There is not a single reason to play wolf3d in 2022+. That's right edgelordian codexers, READ MY LIPS: There is not a single reason to play wolf3d in 2022+. Not even historical curiosity (watch gameplay on youtube).Period.
Fuck you.
Go play your kiddie Call of Cunt:Modern Whorefare.

I have thousands of hours in CoD, bought the latest one too, and I do annual playthroughs of both Wolf3D and SoD.

:balance:

Kev Inkline

(devious)
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
1992 was generally inferior to 1991, but for RPGs it did have Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss, Black Crypt, Ishar: Legend of the Fortress, Dark Queen of Krynn (and the two D&D console games), Ultima VII, Wizardry VII, Might and Magic IV: Clouds of Xeen, and Darklands.

Other notable Amiga-originals, aside from Black Crypt and Ishar:

uEIv0mz.gif

Agony, the best owl-based shoot-'em'-up ever

T1afJwK.gif

Flashback

Also Apidya, Ashes of Empire, and Pinball Dreams/Fantasies

Other games: The Lost Treasures of Infocom compilation, Wolfenstein 3D, Contra III, Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder, and Knights of the Round
Sensible Soccer is also a 1992 release.

mondblut

Arcane
Wolf3D

Fuck you.
Go play your kiddie Call of Cunt: Modern Whorefare.

Well, he's not entirely wrong here. Over 30 years, Wolfenstein has spawned a thousand of near identical games all of which do everything better. Unless you've got a hardon for lel teh robo-Hitler meme, there are hundreds of superior products to scratch the same itch with.

I wish the same could be said about the lost art of early 90s RPGs.

SlamDunk

Arcane
Star Control II (I still listen to the soundtrack, from time to time)

Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss (one of those truly revolutionary games)

Wolfenstein 3D (fuck you sigard, Wolf3D is still addicting, once you get over the stone-age-level technology)

flyingjohn

Arcane
I have thousands of hours in CoD, bought the latest one too, and I do annual playthroughs of both Wolf3D and SoD.
Unfortunately for every hour you played cod you need to put at least a 100 in wolf3d to maintain codex cred.
So you still have a lifetime of wolf3d to compensate for the decline.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Quest for Glory 1 vga and Star Control II are some of the most fun games I've played and I did so just a couple of years ago ( more like 9 or 10 actually, I'm getting old).

And 320x200x256 graphics are easy to stomach, screw you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom