Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Thaumaturge is an upcoming turn-based RPG set in a supernatural early 20th century Warsaw

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Fool's Theory; The Thaumaturge

Back in December 2019, we learned that Polish studio Fool's Theory, developers of the underrated isometric stealth RPG Seven: The Days Long Gone, had begun working on a new title in partnership with Frostpunk developer 11 bit studios, codenamed Project Vitriol. Fool's Theory would later be hired by CD Projekt to develop the remake of the first Witcher game, but clearly that project will be on the backburner while they work on Vitriol, which was finally announced today at IGN. The Thaumaturge, as it's called, is a story-driven isometric RPG with turn-based combat set in a low fantasy 1905 Warsaw. You play as the titular thaumaturge, a summoner of demonic spirits that grant various psychic abilities both in and out of combat. The game's cinematic announcement trailer depicts the summoning of one such entity, which I'll post along with the description from its store page.

The Thaumaturge is an isometric, story-rich RPG with a unique take on turn-based combat, character development features, and investigation mechanics, facing you with morally ambiguous choices – set in a world teeming with mysterious powers and strange ethereal beings called Salutors.

The year is 1905. Warsaw lives under the yoke of imperial Russian tsardom. Its inhabitants constitute a diverse group of different ancestries, views, and beliefs with often conflicting interests: Russian soldiers, Jewish merchants, Polish townspeople, and more. Despite the circumstances, the city is a buzzing metropolis, where one can attend a breathtaking party with the high society, and later get robbed in one of the dark alleys of the Praga district. A city of great hopes and dreams on one hand and dark desires on the other.

In this world, a force that cannot be ignored are Thaumaturges – individuals versed in taming spirit-like beings called Salutors, used for manipulation of the temperaments and affinities of other people and even ultimately in combat. The devil is in the detail - only Thaumaturges are fully aware of the Salutors’ nature and only they can perceive them in their true essence. Their capability to influence others significantly and demonstrably increases their ability to change the surrounding world - however, Thaumaturgy is a power that should be used with caution.
Features
  • Shape your story – as a full-fledged RPG, it allows you to alternate your choices and make you deal with the aftermath.
  • Develop your character – creating your own version of the Thaumaturge will allow you to approach situations in different ways.
  • Experience unique turn-based combat and defeat your foes using human attacks and skills as well as psychic strikes delivered by Salutors.
  • Influence and manipulate the temperaments of other characters to bend their will to your liking.
  • Tame the power of Salutors – use the unique set of their skills to gain an advantage while exploring the world and when bringing your adversaries to their knees.
  • See the world that’s inevitably gone – explore the uncommon, heavily researched historic period of the early XX century Warsaw, where crime and luxury are often two sides of the same coin. Meet historical figures and learn about their involvement in the story.
  • Created in Unreal Engine 5 to deliver a detailed & beautifully crafted world.

The Thaumaturge seems like it's well on its way to release, but it doesn't have a launch date yet. Perhaps we'll learn more after the game appears at GDC next month. In the meantime, you can wishlist and follow on Steam and GOG.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
As noted by this study, Poles weren't a normal height until the mid-20th century because they were malnourished and starving before then.
Classic American education.

Your study:
he average height of women born during 70 years of the study increased by 9.63 cm

Literally the first other paper I googled:
This paper presents 5-yearly data on the height of young adult men in 15 Western European countries for birth cohorts from the middle of the 19th to the end of the 20th century. The results indicate that from the 1870s to the 1970s average height increased by around 11 cm, or more than 1 cm per decade.

This is general knowledge, how you don't know this stuff, while trying to educate others is astounding.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This is general knowledge, how you don't know this stuff, while trying to educate others is astounding.
Good to know that all of Europe was starving before the 20th century solved food scarcity. :M

Gromoer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Any chance this will not be as lame and uninspiring as Seven?
Just to remind everybody of the under-appreciated Seven’s lore:
Ancients fought themselves into shit’n’rubble. Among the ruins of the old world a new leader has risen. But mankind has changed and have fallen far from the light of the ancients.
:nocountryforshitposters:
Decent trailer though.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
for poland 1989 date was more important as marker where kids started getting all the chemicals they needed for growth. mid 20th century seems like a random date to pick as far as poland goes?

Good to know that all of Europe was starving before the 20th century solved food scarcity
16th century with potatoes actually

LukePCS

Literate
Curious to see actual gameplay. I saw the trailer before the description and was certain it was going to be some generic action RPG.

Sad that we'll have to wait a little more for the Witcher remake though.

Shin

Cipher
Noticed a 'gameplay' trailer:

Apart from the character running around in a run-of-the-mill Unity-looking 3D environment, there was one snippet of battle gameplay:

snapshot.jpg

So it's one of those card battlers/RPG hybrids I suppose? I like Slay the Spire as much as the next man but this approach is real easy to fuck up imho.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So it's one of those card battlers/RPG hybrids I suppose? I like Slay the Spire as much as the next man but this approach is real easy to fuck up imho.
Those aren't cards, just a peculiar way of presenting options.

Joyvankek

Learned
Set in central Europe, using demons/ghosts both in combat and interaction with others.
Sounds promising, will keep it on my watch list, though I will wait for some concrete gameplay first. Hopefully we will get a demo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom