Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Vampire: Bloodlines interview

Ausir

Arcane
Tags: Leonard Boyarsky; Troika Games; Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

<a href=http://www.rpgvault.net>RPGVault</a> has posted an <a href=http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/401/401056p1.html>interview</a> with Troika's Leon Boyarsky, about their new game, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, based on the PnP World of Darkness title. Here's a bit:
<br>
<ul>
<br>
We are also focusing on multiple solutions to quests depending on what type of character they choose to play. For instance, a player can choose to fight a guard, sneak past him, talk his way past him, dominate his way past him, or overpower him and drain his blood. We're truly blending the two genres - for instance, even though your character can go around firing his gun like a first-person shooter, his accuracy is determined by his ranged combat ability.
<br>
</ul>
<br>
And that's the spirit! IIRC, most of the WoD based computer games weren't good (Vampire: Redemption, Werewolf: Apocalypse, or our beloved Digital Mayhem's Hunter: Reckoning), so i hope Troika will bring a new quality here :).
<br>
<br>
Cheers, <b>Ibbz</b>!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
this game is still a Troika RPG with complex dialogue trees, rich character development, deep quests, plus non-linear, open-ended gameplay that allows the player to create their character any way they want from any of seven different Vampire clans

Well, that sounds about right :D and I guess that answers a lot of questions raised yesterday and all kinda silly comparisons with Deus Ex (which for the record is not a RPG).
As for the FPS format I don't see a good reason why it could not be used successfully in a CRPG. After all a RPG is not about graphics or views but about a hell of a story that a player can take a part in and hopefully affect the story and the world the story is set in; and we have no reasons to doubt Troika's ability to deliver just that. Anything else, like a good engine, is a bonus.

EEVIAC

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
After all a RPG is not about graphics or views but about a hell of a story that a player can take a part in and hopefully affect the story and the world the story is set in; and we have no reasons to doubt Troika's ability to deliver just that. Anything else, like a good engine, is a bonus.

As much as I enjoy isometric rpg's, sometimes I think that FP views are more conducive to immersion. 3D also offers gameplay opportunites that wouldn't be open to a 2D engine, especially with environments with height. I'm disappointed so many FPS feel so flat. Why bother being 3D, why not just be top down like Smash TV?

Calis

Pensionado
Ausir said:
And that's the spirit! IIRC, most of the WoD based computer games weren't good (Vampire: Redemption, Werewolf: Apocalypse, or our beloved Digital Mayhem's Hunter: Reckoning), so i hope Troika will bring a new quality here :).
The Werewolf computer game (a first-person Unreal-engine action game IIRC) got canned. Which was a real bummer for a guy I knew, who ran a fansite for said game...

Redemption broke my heart, as the V:tM pen & paper game is pretty nifty if played with the right group. I ran a game for a while, and at one point I didn't even need to prepare anymore because of inter-player plans, politics and powerplay. A V:tM computer game by Troika sounds like just what the doctor ordered.

GreenNight

Liturgist
Yeah, after this interview the moon shines brighter 8) Not the sun, mind you, we vampires do not like to sunbath :wink:

And no, nothing else to say, still over a year before this is finished, plenty of time for forging more profound impresions. Just wanted to air my good feelings after my dubitative ones of the other day. It is tiring to write only rants.

Be happy!

voodoo1man

Liturgist
"to seedy strip bars to underground raver clubs"

For some reason, the underground raver club/strip bar has been a staple in every single vampire-related product that has been made in the past ten years. For being angsty pasty-white goths, vampires sure seem to like strippers and raving a lot.

Jed

Cipher
voodoo1man said:
For some reason, the underground raver club/strip bar has been a staple in every single vampire-related product that has been made in the past ten years. For being angsty pasty-white goths, vampires sure seem to like strippers and raving a lot.
Ahh, but those are the environs in which to find easy and/or willing victims...didn't you see Blade II?

triCritical

Erudite
Well after the interview, I feel much better about the title. It truly does seem like they are making an RPG. I especially like what he says about the stats determining your ability to shoot. I think think this is important, because our relative strength in the RPG genre should not dictate our character's strength. Overall I feel much better about the title now.

Well growing up in LA and being part of the rave scene as well as visiting my share of alternative dance clubs for lightly clothed females (When I was younger and before I was married of course;)), I can see how it would fit it. I honestly don't know much about V:tM, but I do know that the there is a LA underworld that can essentially revolves around Rave's and fetish. My two cents, which are probably worthless to Leon, would be to focus more on the fetish community then strip bars, which are probably not as related. I think in LA we have the full nude bar which is the staple to every 18 year old heterosexual male, and the cowboy topless bars with billiards and beer. I don't see much of a vampire fit there, but I guess that is the masquerade. :shock:

EEVIAC

Erudite
triCritical said:
... the cowboy topless bars with billiards and beer. I don't see much of a vampire fit there, but I guess that is the masquerade."

That would test any game's character creation system. A pasty white Vampire would stand out amongst the sun baked Cowboys, but it'd still be interesting.

Rosh

Erudite
Mmmm, I think I mentioned something along the lines of a good FPS hybrid, and this looks quite well.

I hope it turns out well, and possibly allows expansions for Werewolf and other aspects of the WoD.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
EEVIAC said:
triCritical said:
... the cowboy topless bars with billiards and beer. I don't see much of a vampire fit there, but I guess that is the masquerade."

That would test any game's character creation system. A pasty white Vampire would stand out amongst the sun baked Cowboys, but it'd still be interesting.

I recommend you two rent the movie Near Dark then. It's probably one of the better vampire movies that's popped up in the last fifteen years.

triCritical

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
I recommend you two rent the movie Near Dark then. It's probably one of the better vampire movies that's popped up in the last fifteen years.

I just read the plot summary on IMDB, I stand corrected. Maybe I will rent it this weekend.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
There are a few other western style vampires movies, and frankly, I prefer those to the GOTHIC GAY VAMPIREZ you see all too often. Thank you, Anne Rice, but I've really had enough of those.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
I must say that I find it hard to get excited about this title, I'd much prefer an isometric game as well as an original setting-

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom