Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview GameSpot E3 blurb on Gothic 2

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Gothic II

<a href="http://www.gamespot.com/">GameSpot</a> offers up a <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/gothic2/preview_6027969.html">very, very brief preview</a>, only <i>three paragraphs</i>, of <a href="http://www.gothic2.com">Gothic 2</a>, which will hopefully be released soon in the rest of the world. Here's one of the three paragraphs:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>We were able to see Gothic II in action at this year's E3. Gothic II will be the sequel to the original Gothic, an open-ended fantasy-themed role-playing game that casts you in the role of a reluctant hero imprisoned in a time of unrest. In the sequel, you'll play as the same hero, and just as in the original game, you won't be forced to choose a profession immediately, though you'll eventually be able to take on a specific character class, such as a dragon hunter, a magician, or a paladin. </blockquote>
<br>
<br>
I just hope it doesn't get linear once you chose like the original did. I enjoyed the game immensely until I picked a profession and it became a boring, linear combat fest.
<br>
<br>
Spotted this at <a href="http://www.ve3d.com">VoodooExtreme</a>.

Ausir

Arcane
It's been published in Poland quite a while ago, and i'm going to get it soon :).

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I hear it's insanely buggy. My friend bought it and was unable to install, he thought it was the fault of his computer and brought the game to me. I tried to install, but the process stopped at 15% kicking me out to the system. It's not a physical error caused by the manufacturer, because I looked at some German boards and found that the problem exists also in the German version. And people on those boards (and the Polish ones) are complaining about bugs that should really make the publisher feel ashamed for himself; I haven't heard of any patch yet. So I guess I'll wait some time until I grab the white box from the shelf...
And what's really pi**ing me off is that the translated version of Morrowind was published 7 months after the original. I decided to buy it. Then I found out that the translation corrupted some quests and was of a generally poor quality. I'm still waiting for the patch correcting the quests. I have fears that I'll have to buy the Polish version of Tribunal to get it, geez.
I really think RPGs should also be released in the original language version - it would definitely lower the number of warezed copies.

Ausir

Arcane
Unfortunately, the prices would have to rise then. The prices of Polish version of the game are lower than the original ones, because these are too expensive for our conditions. If the games were published in English for the same price as in Polish, they might be bought and resold in the countries where the prices are higher. That's why the original publishers DON'T ALLOW the Polish distributors to lower the prices of the original language versions, and which is why they're mostly too expensive for Polish conditions, and therefore most Polish publishers publish only the Polish versions now.

By the way, i find most of CD Projekt's translations to be good, but only the translation itself - the dubbing is horrible. I don't know where they get those voice actors from..

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Ausir said:
Unfortunately, the prices would have to rise then. If the games were published in English for the same price as in Polish, they might be bought and resold in the countries where the prices are higher.
I know, I agree and I've read a whole thread about it on CD Projekt's forum. But for example we had Unreal 2 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein being sold in English versions first, and just as you've said, they were more expensive. And I think I remember some figures showing that Polish gamers buy more RPGs than FPSs. (Strange, isn't it? But IIRC BG was Poland's best selling game ever) So I think it would be perfectly reasonable to sell the English version of Morrowind first, if they do so with such lame games as Unreal 2. And of course, by the time Morrowind got released in December, I doubt if there was a single gamer interested in the title who didn't come in contact with a pirated version.

I wouldn't be so disappointed if Morrowind was released (even in December) in the way Arcanum was. Remember? BOTH language versions! That's the perfect way to do it. And it would let people play English mods without any difficulties.

By the way, i find most of CD Projekt's translations to be good, but only the translation itself - the dubbing is horrible. I don't know where they get those voice actors from..
I also think the translations are generally good (Morrowind's an exception). PS:T's was almost exactly as it should be. But the last game they found good voice actors for was, I think, Baldur's Gate 1!

Ausir

Arcane
As for Arcanum, apparently Sierra is not as restrictive as other game publishers...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom