Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview ToEE E3 preview at PC.IGN

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Temple of Elemental Evil

There's a <a href="http://pc.ign.com/articles/403/403446p1.html">two page preview</a> of <A href="http://www.troikagames.com/toee.html">Temple of Elemental Evil</a> over at <a href="http://pc.ign.com">PC.IGN</a>. It covers that the game will use the 3.5E rules, iron man mode, how pretty it is, and much more. Here's a bit on the 3.5E stuff, which really doesn't say much:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>TEE will allow starting players to create a max party of five characters adhering to the Advance Dungeon and Dragons 3.5 Edition rules. 3.5 Edition rules, you ask? Basically think of them as 3rd Edition rules patched. After some tweaking, class balancing, and skill adjustments, TEE will be the first PC game to feature the 3.5 Edition rule-set. In addition to five player characters, up to three NPC can be acquired over the course of the campaign for a total of eight party members. The three extra NPC slots can consist of familiars, pets or enchanted creatures as well. And the types of enchanted creatures a character can have is pretty much open to the whims of the player. We witnessed and enchanted chicken attacking a pack of ettins - and trust us, a level 20 chicken is pretty bad ass. </blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Is level 20 still the cap in 3.5E?
<br>
<br>
Spotted this at <A href="Http://www.ve3d.com">VoodooExtreme</a>.

protobob

Liturgist
Iron Man Mode sounds cool. I could really get into that.

My first game is gonna be evil/iron man. Should be interesting.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
That's funny. You'd think if they were rebalancing 3E, they'd see the need to maybe extend the level to 30, while toning down what you get all the way up to level 30. I think that's my big complaint about 3E is that you get too powerful, too quickly.

Sammael

Liturgist
Which is why I usually give out 1/3 or 1/4 of the official XP awards in my campaigns.

D&D 3E really starts to break down after level 10 anyway.

Spazmo

Erudite
No, Saint. The cap is 20 because they want you to buy the Epic-Level Handbook in order to go further.

triCritical

Erudite
Sammael said:

I totally agree with this statement. I have found the funnest part of DnD to be the early levels.

One of my main concerns with a ToEE sequal of sorts would be that you would have to start with a level 10 party. I have never been particularly entertained with combat in any modern DnD game over level 10 (in 3E) and 11,12 in 2E.

spazmo said:
No, Saint. The cap is 20 because they want you to buy the Epic-Level Handbook in order to go further.

I kind of interpret 3.5 rules as paying for a patch. I know, I know, I can download them for free, but that will will cost a fortune in ink. And it most likely will not be good quality printouts, unless you spend a lot of money.

Spazmo

Erudite
Plus, the free, downloadable version lacks the nifty artwork, descriptive texts, and quality formatting of the real sourcebooks. SRD is not a substitute for the real thing.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Sammael said:
Which is why I usually give out 1/3 or 1/4 of the official XP awards in my campaigns.

That's because after level 10, it becomes a medieval superhero game, really. You just get way too powerful, too quickly. I wouldn't mind the hit point raises, but a lot of those feats and class abilities are disgustlingly powerful during the later game.

Spazmo said:

I'm not sure how much more powerful you'd want to be after 20th level. If it took ten more levels to be as powerful as you are in 3E at level 20, I think that'd be much better balanced.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom