Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Gamespot gets around to playing Gothic 3

suibhne

Erudite
Tags: Gothic III; Piranha Bytes

<a href="http://gamespot.com">Gamespot</a> decided to <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/gothic3/review.html">weigh in</a> on subversive Old European import Gothic 3. With a rating of <b>7.6</b>, the review lauds the game's "substantial, open-ended role-playing experience". To whet your appetite:
<br>
<blockquote>Gothic 3 makes some real improvements over the previous games. For instance, though you're still expected to progress through most of the game by taking quests that are kept in a less-than-organized journal, the overall quest structure is much better defined and more cohesive. You'll find yourself taking on fewer long-term quests that require travel to many different areas and more short-term, local quests whenever you enter a new area. Though they're sometimes a bit shallow and often require you to kill a certain number of monsters or retrieve certain items, these shorter-term quests are much easier to keep track of, and they're designed to keep you moving throughout the game's vast world in a logical progression--one that can actually affect how the world is laid out.</blockquote>But if things are so great, you ask, what accounts for the 7.6 rating? The reviewer's primary criticisms are steep performance demands, funky polygon clipping, and sub-par pathfinding for companions and enemies - and the review wraps up by lamenting Gothic 3's poor luck at being released in the same year as Oblivion, which (apparently) exhibits none of these dire problems.
<br>
<br>
To Gamespot's credit, this is one of the more balanced Gothic 3 reviews to hit the IntarWeb NorteAmericano. The inescapable problem is that, in my dozens of hours in Oblivion, I repeatedly encountered each of these glitches now laid at the feet of Gothic 3. So really, I can't tell you why Gamespot gave Gothic 3 a 7.6 in the context of its other RPG reviews - and I suspect Gamespot can't, either.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Simple. These things bothered them more in G3 than they did in Oblivion. Absolutely perfectly make sense. Just like click fest combat in G3 is LOVED by the Codex; other games with click fests are abhored by the same Codex. *shrug*

Volourn said:
Simple. These things bothered them more in G3 than they did in Oblivion. Absolutely perfectly make sense.

I think that's obvious since those same criticisms rarely arise in Oblivion reviews. The question is why does it bother them more when they appear in Gothic 3 as opposed to Oblivion?

Chinese Jetpilot said:
Volourn said:
Simple. These things bothered them more in G3 than they did in Oblivion. Absolutely perfectly make sense.

I think that's obvious since those same criticisms rarely arise in Oblivion reviews. The question is why does it bother them more when they appear in Gothic 3 as opposed to Oblivion?

TODD: Do we have deal?
GAMESPOT REP: I don't want to remember nothing. Nothing.
TODD: So, we have a deal then.
GAMESPOT REP: Yes, you give us $1,000,000, and you have your gem at Gamespot.
TODD: Access codes to the Codex mainframe.
GAMESPOT REP: I told you, I don't know them. But I can get you the man who does.

watch out, VD!

Castanova

Prophet
It's more like - when a reviewer only has a week to get through a game, how well the game is presented and how intuitive it is weighs in too heavily. They express their distaste by coming up with the obvious complaints but the real difference between Gothic 3 and Oblivion (to someone who only plays for one week) is more about the presentation and taste, not the aftertaste and how well it comes out the other end...

The Idiot

Novice
Chinese Jetpilot said:
Volourn said:

Just a though but those things may be worse and more apparent in Gothic3 than they were in Oblivion. Not that I love Oblivion, mind you.

What hurts me the most, I could play Oblivion with high details, HDR turned off and it would stutter only when fighting more than 3 or 5 opponents. Gothic3 runs like crap even if I stay and gaze at a wall.

May my specs serve as a guideline:

Athlon 2400
Radeon 9600XT 256MB
1 gig of RAM

I squeeze 15fps max from Gothic3 with that rig and a tweeked .ini. Switching from medium details to low oddly does not seem to affect the permornace. I guess it hates ATI as I read some posts where people can run it fine with an ~equal NVIDIA card.

I only tried out the demo version of Gothic 3, and I've found my performance -- while a little less than Oblivion -- is comparable. Then again, its probably due to the fact that I have 2GB RAM. Concerning Oblivion, I get around 20fps in most areas with HDR on and most sliders set to 75% or above (except shadows, which are turned off).

My specifications:

Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 256MB
2GB 667Mhz RAM

I may be mistaken, but if I recall correctly the minimum specs for Gothic 3 requires a 9800 or above. Though I'm so confused by all these model numbers that I'm probably mistaken.

suibhne

Erudite
Castanova said:
It's more like - when a reviewer only has a week to get through a game, how well the game is presented and how intuitive it is weighs in too heavily. They express their distaste by coming up with the obvious complaints but the real difference between Gothic 3 and Oblivion (to someone who only plays for one week) is more about the presentation and taste, not the aftertaste and how well it comes out the other end...

I think that's pretty much it, and this makes a lot of sense. But it also means these reviews aren't doing what they claim - i.e., they may be capturing the reviewer's highly subjective and personal experience to some degree, but they're certainly not providing any reasonable indication of a game's possible worth to any given reader.

The Idiot

Novice
Chinese Jetpilot said:
I may be mistaken, but if I recall correctly the minimum specs for Gothic 3 requires a 9800 or above. Though I'm so confused by all these model numbers that I'm probably mistaken.

Yeah, you are. My box claims:

1024 MB RAM
Pentium 4 / AMD 2 GHZ
ATI Radeon 9000 / NVIDIA GeForce FX5200

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
What's the problem? Your system meets the minimum requirements, and the game runs.

How well Oblivion ran on your system is perfectly irrelevant.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
1 gig RAM, Radeon 9600 are perfectly enough for G 3. The code is Radeon-optimized, it seems. Just fiddle with the cache-sizes and disable tree shadows.

[As has been explained two fucking times before.]

[[And give Windows a realistic virtual memory size. That's standard practice. 2xRAM is good, usually.]

The Idiot

Novice
Claw said:
What's the problem? Your system meets the minimum requirements, and the game runs.

How well Oblivion ran on your system is perfectly irrelevant.
The problem is that shitty games run just fine while the good ones don't.

Jasede said:
1 gig RAM, Radeon 9600 are perfectly enough for G 3. The code is Radeon-optimized, it seems. Just fiddle with the cache-sizes and disable tree shadows.
Already did that. I'll try to tweak some more though. Thanks anyway.

Jasede said:
...Just fiddle with the cache-sizes and disable tree shadows...
...give Windows a realistic virtual memory size...

I did, and now while I play the monitor shows often large flashing white stripes, especially when the nameless guy is close to hills and mountains.

Hazelnut

Erudite
There's a solution to that, as simple as creating a directory called the right thing in the right place.

(I understand that's not overly helpful, but I am at work and cannot give you more details until later)

I didn't get this problem with the demo, just with the full game - I think it was fixed but I only tested it for 10 minutes after applying the fix before my wife confiscated my xmas present... hence the recent G2 playing. ;-)

Hazelnut

Erudite
You need to create the following directory:

Gothic III\Data\_compiledImage\_Intern

so it can regenerate some files in there - makes the white flashing disapear. If you want more detail, or I am wrong, then talk to google. ;)

Hazelnut said:
You need to create the following directory:

Gothic III\Data\_compiledImage\_Intern

so it can regenerate some files in there - makes the white flashing disapear. If you want more detail, or I am wrong, then talk to google. ;)

I'll try this. Thank you!

EDIT: works perfectly. Thanks!

The Internets

Scholar
For reference, even my Athlon 4000+, 2 gigs of ram, and 8800GTS has a hard time playing this game smoothly at max settings.

However, disabling distance drawing clears things right up.

The Internets said:
For reference, even my Athlon 4000+, 2 gigs of ram, and 8800GTS has a hard time playing this game smoothly at max settings.

However, disabling distance drawing clears things right up.

I hate this industry.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Well.. I'm *this* close to just throwing the game in the trash. I've had to reinstall the game, and completely start over. I don't know if I can get back into the flow of the game. Level 17, and pretty decently into the game and all for nothing. Now, I'm stuck having to try to beat the boars in a race of who can click first again. And, I'm also stuck having to do the same interactions again. R00fles!

Hazelnut

Erudite
Volourn said:
Well.. I'm *this* close to just throwing the game in the trash. I've had to reinstall the game, and completely start over.

Surely save game corruption wouldn't require a reinstall of the game and, although an unacceptable problem for a game to have, can be easily nullified by keeping lots of different saves and even archiving them in case they all get borked at once.

So then, WTF happened Volly?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
It has to do with the demo saves. Using demos saves corrupts various files. My biggest example is talking to a certain druid which auto crashes the game. Supposedly, according to various G3 baords, this demo problem gets much worse as the game goes on up to and including having entire towns of npcs auto crash the game.

So, it was either play on and wish like hell I get lucky and that stuff doesn't happen to me; or simply start over. They say you could just erase the demo saves and not have to reinstall; but that don't work for eveyrone so I simply reinstalled. If I knew for sure it be just that one druid; I could ignore it; but not entire towns.

Hmph.

P.S. It has ntohing to do with actual save corrptions. It supposedly has to do with the fact that the demo is missing certain files/models that get added when you install the full game hence in my case the druid had no body and insta crashed the game when trying to talk to him.

P.S.S. I always keep multiple saves so number of saves isn't the issue here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom