Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News BG3 news post and fun on ShackNews

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Baldur's Gate III: The Black Hound; Black Isle Studios; J.E. Sawyer

<A href="http://www.shacknews.com">ShackNews</a> posted <A href="http://www.shacknews.com/ja.zz?comments=26860">a blurb with comments</a> about <a href="http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/products/product.asp?pf_id=236461">this Baldur's Gate 3 preorder thing</a> on <a href="http://www.ebgames.com/">EB's site</a>. Here's the news:
<br>

<br>
<blockquote>Vermouth let us know that EBGames has a listing for Baldur's Gate 3 on their site. The game is shown as shipping in February, with Vivendi Universal as publisher. Of course, online retailers remain notoriously unreliable for release dates and such but more often unannounced products turn out to be true. </blockquote>
<br>

<br>
Here's the funneh:
<br>

<br>
<blockquote>#10 By: <b>j.e.sawyer</b>
<br>
This is incorrect information.</blockquote>
<br>

<br>
There.. Just enough in this news item to spawn wild conjecture, which is always fun.
<br>

<br>

Briosafreak

Augur
From Planetbaldursgate.com

:
Baldur's Gate III on EBGames?
Sunday, June 8, 2003, 12:29 | MageDragon
We have received many many emails today about a preorder page on EBGames for Baldur's Gate III. At this time we cannot confirm this is true or just a mistake by EBGames. If we hear anything, we will post about it.

UPDATE: Line Producer Kevin Osburn from Black Isle Studios has confirmed that this not true:
Hey Mage,

I forwarded it to the proper people at Interplay so they can tell EB to remove that from the site. It is just a mistake, and that aint no bologna

Thanks for the heads up

-Kevin

Bridgeburner

Novice
I remember something about FOBOS being mentioned on EBGames like a year ago. It was swiftly removed and heavily denied by BIS and Interplay. Anybody else remembers that?

murraysku

Novice
In the long run, losing the Baldur's Gate license may prove beneficial to BIS and RPGs.

Assuming Interplay enters a better financial state, and that's a big assumption, JE Sawyer may well be permitted to continue work on Jefferson using the Exalted, or better yet but far more unlikely, an original setting.

From what JE had stated about Jefferson, it seemed as if the design philosophy and story were a far cry from the original BGs, and the BG name was mainly to generate more hype and sell more units.

If Jefferson is just Jefferson, then JE would be freed somewhat from having to establish credibility amongst purist RPGers who revile BG, Bioware, and the Infinity Engine, and at the same, not have to worry as much about placating BG fanboys who expect more 8th grade romances, ph8t l00t, and linear gameplay.

Jed

Cipher
What I don't understand is why BIS just doesn't call it Icewind Dale 3: The Reckoning, or some shit. Forgotten Realms is Forgotten Realms; afterall, it's not like BG2 had anything to do with the actual location of the city of Baldur's Gate...

Sabotai

Liturgist
XJEDX said:
What I don't understand is why BIS just doesn't call it Icewind Dale 3: The Reckoning, or some shit. Forgotten Realms is Forgotten Realms; afterall, it's not like BG2 had anything to do with the actual location of the city of Baldur's Gate...
I think a lot of people have had this thought... well I had anyway. I could think of only one reason not to call it IWD 3: the story starts off where BG2 ended. It's too much of an undertaking to rewrite the whole main story.

Jed

Cipher
Sabotai said:
I think a lot of people have had this thought... well I had anyway. I could think of only one reason not to call it IWD 3: the story starts off where BG2 ended. It's too much of an undertaking to rewrite the whole main story.
I can't imagine how they could continue that wack-ass story. What level would I start at? 35? Would I have my own kingdom and church of followers? Or would I just have Imoen's baby?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
They probably won't use the IWD name because IWD2 flopped hard. Real hard. It dropped off the Top 50 selling games list in just three weeks.

Yes, that's fifty.. The big five-oh.. Not 10, not 20, 50.

Spazmo

Erudite
Did they even bother to renew IWD? I mean, if they didn't pay up for BG on PC, I have no idea why they'd pay for IWD.

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
They probably won't use the IWD name because IWD2 flopped hard. Real hard. It dropped off the Top 50 selling games list in just three weeks.

Yes, that's fifty.. The big five-oh.. Not 10, not 20, 50.

Interesting because IWD 2 was much better than IWD1 ( the both kind of sucked) but normally IWD2 should sell better than IWD1.

DrattedTin

Liturgist
I guess I was a bit cryptic there.

My point is that for IWD2 to have been successful, it needed to do SOMETHING to make trotting out the IE engine again bearable. Unfortunately, it was just IWD with high levels. I'm not even sure if it had more maps.

triCritical

Erudite
DrattedTin said:
I guess I was a bit cryptic there.

My point is that for IWD2 to have been successful, it needed to do SOMETHING to make trotting out the IE engine again bearable. Unfortunately, it was just IWD with high levels. I'm not even sure if it had more maps.

I kind of liked the beginning of IWD2, but the engine sure showed its age. It was like a brand new game that felt old. Quite an odd experience that I am sure affected sales.

DrattedTin

Liturgist
Agreed.

Some parts of IWD2 were fun, but it's downfall was the tedius campaign. I never did finish it, and I'm pretty sure I wasn't missing much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom