Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Restricted Area tit for tat at GameSpot

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Restricted Area

There's an <A href="http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/restrictedarea/preview_6029973.html">interview</a> over at <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/">GameSpot</a> covering <a href="http://www.restricted-area.net/">Restricted Area</a>, answered by <b>Jan Beuck</b>. Covers character types, nonlinear stories, and this:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>GameSpot:</b> Will the player's progress through the game be linear, or will there be opportunities to explore and attempt subquests?
<br>
<br>
<b>Jan Bueck:</b> Beside the nonlinear main storyline--which not only has different endings for the characters, but also has multiple endings according the way you play--there are an unlimited number of computer-generated subquests, so the game will never get boring unless you don't like the game itself. Once you finish the main missions, you are still able to play subquests.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Yay! Multiple endings based on how you play!
<br>
<br>
Spotted this at <A href="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blue's News</a>.

Realbumpbert

Liturgist
Yay! Infinite subquests! :P
And I like cyberpunk, too...this sounds like the game I didn't think I was going to be able to play until I got to Heaven...

Remind me not to hope for too much.

Crazy Tuvok

Liturgist
If I'm not mistaken this is going to be real time yes? Not that there is anything inherently wrong with an rt CRPG (altho on the other hand there may be) but I just cannot imagine how ranged combat plays out worth a damn in rt in an isomettric CRPG. But hey, I am willing to be persuaded.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Crazy Tuvok said:
I just cannot imagine how ranged combat plays out worth a damn in rt in an isomettric CRPG
Here is an except from the old interview conviniently located here for those who missed it
http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=913
Ranged fighting, such as gun play, has always been a problem with real time games. How does Restricted Area address this problem?

Well, I think it´s not really a problem. The archer in Diablo worked well - it was only surprising that she can fire with the speed of a machine gun. In RA, however, you have a machine gun... ;)

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Well, I'd have to disagree with Jan on that. I found ranged fighting in Diablo 2 much worse than melee. Even the interface requires more work to deal with, having to constantly run/dodge, then SHIFT-click on a bad guy a few times until he got closer, and repeat the whole process.

I also kind of wonder how it will be when the enemies also have a lot of ranged weapons. I start to think about Diablo 2's Act 3 with all the pygmies with dart guns who'd tear you up when a good bit of them got near you.

Spazmo

Erudite
Well, there were two ways to deal with those. The most popular one was to get someone who'd already finished those areas to give you the waypoint to the areas right after that.

Another one was to roll up in a ball and cry yourself to a pygmy nightmare-filled sleep. Those little fuckers are a prime example of bad design. They're not fun, they're hard as hell and they don't drop any good loot.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
The Pygmies are just proof that the game isn't designed for single player adventures. To get through the Pygmies without resorting to 'lameassedness' like having another character give you a portal to a later area in the game you would probably have to group up with a Sorceress. Just the same, the Sorceress would need a melee guy or an archer to kill that horrible, horrible Hephestus. Of course, any overpowered sorceress could take him on, but that's no longer possible in the new patch.

Although the new patch is going to make it a complete necessity to hunt with a group of varied characters, it's probably going to screw up the single player experience - a real pity, that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom